• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Half-Wondering" (Am I Really An Aspie?)

I've read that too. I just phrased it that way because it feels that way, most of the time. But it also feels like overload, in certain situations.

Might I ask, what else have I mentioned that's being debunked?
Oh heck, these things are ever-changing, the ones I know about are the ones I already mentioned.

I hope you're feeling better about the whole thing, it's a tricky path to walk, to diagnose or not, but in the end, for me at least, it's been worth it :)

EDIT: I do not, and have not, experienced meltdowns. I was gravely mistaken.
EDIT on my EDIT: I think I do and have experienced meltdowns, but it has happened only once. (Only one time I'm sure of) Since I don't really have a lot of sensory issues, and I'm not involved enough in anything tl have a lot of stress, they're very rare.

Oh heck, these things are ever-changing, the ones I know about are the ones I already mentioned.

I hope you're feeling better about the whole thing, it's a tricky path to walk, to diagnose or not, but in the end, for me at least, it's been worth it :)
Thank you, I have been. :)

By the way, I like the word in your signature. Flibbertigibbet. Flibbertigibbet. I love that.

It's pretty common for females to not score very highly on these tests or to get results that could go either way, I am a weird exception as I get very high (or low in the case of EQ) results in comparison to most men DX with Asperger's but I think I am reasonably NT acting (some people who know me but not that well said they would not have guessed I am likely to have AS because I hide it well) and even I don't have all the traits an Aspie is 'meant' to have-don't think anyone does.

I haven't been diagnosed myself yet and when I first joined this forum, I still had my doubts over whether I had AS or not, but being on this forum a while and seeing how similar others are to me and having several 'aha' moments, I am now close to 100% certain. Before about a year ago I thought it was impossible to have AS as I thought those with AS always had perfect executive functioning (I do not) and were all good at maths (I am good at mental arithmetic and some aspects of geometry but nothing else).
I have horrible math skills BECAUSE of AS and the demand anxiety I have from it. I refused to learn my times tables as a child, the demand was too much and it derailed my learning proper math skills in general.

Ahh, ever the aspie huh, not getting what's been said.:rolleyes:
Your avatar appears to be a very serious looking doll, the kind that might come alive at night (hopefully not to murder people though).

Huh. I haven't thought of it that way. I picked it because it reminded me of my first choice for an avatar (see below).

To me it seems more like a half-human creature of sorts. But not a satyr.

Attachments

• chibi_taurus_by_dav_19-d4yen93.png
    chibi_taurus_by_dav_19-d4yen93.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 201
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such ballanaced results on those tests.

None of us are really qualified to say if you have Asperger's, one way or the other, but stick around and do your reasearch and you are bound to gain some insite.

I have horrible math skills BECAUSE of AS and the demand anxiety I have from it. I refused to learn my times tables as a child, the demand was too much and it derailed my learning proper math skills in general.
Sounds like me, i could never learn the multiplication tables and still dont know them. I did however learn all the tricks so i know the multiplication for all but the x6, x7, x8, x12. The x1-x5 are easy and so are the x9-x11. Also it didnt help that the maths aren't applied. If it was applied to real life than i would have been able to learn it. I still have no clue what the point of most of the formulas and algebra and all that are

When I was much younger, I was a full blown Autie. Non verbal until 4 1/2, but reading before i was 2. had melt downs a lot... if you watched the hellen keller movie (1962, the miracle worker), had frequent meltdowns of that caliber. as i became aware of things, i had less meltdowns around the age of 4, and pretty much got them under control on my own by ~7. They wanted to institutionalize me back then, in the early 70's... but my mother wouldnt let them, and i did not take any medications either growing up... learned to adapt and when i got to my pre-teen to teen years, digested a lot of psychology and sociology textbooks and 'rewired' some of my own more obvious autie behaviours.. have minor things to this day, eye contact, do not leave the house often, ect.. but have adapted while still maintained being a HFA.

i merely see these diagnosis more as a label they put on us because we process mentally, like a left handed person in a right handed dominated world... dont let a diagnosis define who you are, rather use it to understand yourself better and use the information to better your self by your standards, not theirs. i have done so much that they said i would never been capable to do... when a NT is an expert of autism, it doesnt compare to an Aspie/Autie who lives this every day.. doesnt matter what their PhD is in, it is theory, second hand info, scientific method of observation, ect.. Aspie or Autie, if your aware within yourself down to certain levels of awareness, you know better than any one else about your own self...

there will be all sorts of opinions, interpretations and such, this theory and that theory... disagreements will go on as much as the day is long... rather than get caught up on taking sides on who is more right over another, rather, what pertains to your situation? to your experiences? and how can you use this to better yourself and grow, and become more than what you are today?

Esse quam videri - that is a good motto to have, and if true of you then you need to come as close as possible to being clear about a diagnosis. I think that the advice already given is good, but I have one question: given the results that you have, what made you take the test in the first place? Why would you have thought that you may be an Aspie at all?

I ask because there are many NT's who exhibit some of the characteristics that are usually associated with Asperger's to a greater or lesser degree - it is just a part of the diverse characters that people have. I only ask because it gives some deeper insight into you and why you seek an answer.

New Threads

Top Bottom