• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Four autism stereotypes that teachers should try to dispel

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Increased visibility of autism through characters in film and television is a positive thing, but we must be cautious about believing the stereotypes, says one teacher

Working with students who have autistic spectrum disorders, you quickly learn to abandon any preconceived ideas about what autistic people are like. Their personalities are just as diverse as any group of young people you might encounter.

Yet, when people with autism are represented in TV and film, they are all too often reduced to two-dimensional stereotypes. And while it is positive that characters with autism are becoming more visible — they now seem as ubiquitous as TV programmes about renovating houses — there is a danger that we will fall into the trap of believing the stereotypes.

So, here are four of the most common autism stereotypes that teachers should strive to dispel.

1. People with autism are geniuses
This is one of the longest-running stereotypes, popularised in part by the 1988 movie Rain Man, where Dustin Hoffman plays a man with autism, who has the ability to instantly count hundreds of objects.

Almost three decades since the release of this film, teachers will still occasionally ask me what it’s like to work with highly-gifted children.

The truth is that, while many people who are geniuses have autism, the reverse does not hold true, and the range of intellectual ability is as wide as in the neurotypical community.

2. People with autism have prodigious memories
The British television series The A Word, which was broadcast last year and received positive reviews, helped to spread this misconception. In it, a five-year-old boy who receives a diagnosis of autism is able to remember the lyrics, composers and dates of release of his father's favourite tunes.

However, I also know someone with autism who would tell people with absolute conviction what the number one song was on the day they were born. The funny thing is that he was just making it up for a laugh, but his audience were convinced by his sincerity and by the media stereotype.

3. That autistic people have no sense of humour
Something else that programme makers often miss is how intentionally funny people with an ASD can be. On TV, they are usually the straight-faced outsider, such as Saga Noren from The Bridge. Yet the reality of working with children with autism is having a class full of kids cracking jokes, making funny comments, smiling and laughing.

4. Having autism means ticking every box
Then, there are the programmes that present characters who display every autistic trait they can think of: lack of empathy, obsessive behaviour, no self-awareness and extreme competitiveness to name but a few. You can see an example of this in the character of Dr Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory.

Of course, TV shows like this are just for entertainment and would never be used as a training tool to help understand pupils with Asperger’s syndrome, right? Unfortunately not, as a support worker I know in Scotland was recently told to study Sheldon to better understand autism.

The reality is that while someone with an ASD may have a few behaviours associated with the condition, pupils with an ASD don't always act “autistically”. In fact, for a large part of the day, their behaviour could be described as “normal” teenage behaviour – if such a thing exists.

I hope that the media will begin to show this “normal” side of autism more often, too. Sesame Street has recently introduced an autistic character to help young children identify with classmates with autism while showing them the differences and things they have in common. This could be a first step in redressing the balance.

Gordon Cairns is a teacher of English in Scotland

Source: Four autism stereotypes that teachers should try to dispel

i like this list,speaking of rainman i was in sainsburys the other day and checking out the DVD isle,rainman was there-i thought if theyre going to flog an autism film cant they at least make sure its a good non stereotypical one like after thomas or the black balloon-which both show autistic kids with splinter skills,instead of them assuming your either fantastic at everything and your awkward and weird- or complete crap at everything-and you have the mental capacity of a baby/toddler.

anyhow,as for these stereotypes,as for number 2-i actually know a high functioning classically autistic guy who is my friend and he has a savant memory-he tells everyone what song was genuinely number one on the day you were born,however....he is the only autistic person ive ever met who has this capability and ive met hundreds probably.

as for 3,ive never met an autistic who has NO sense of humour, everyone ive met has THEIR OWN style of humour which should not equate to NO humour in an NTs opinion.

as for 4,no one ticks every box,thats why its a spectrum because we all manifest these traits in different quantities and strength.

oh and it mentions 'the a word',that was complete crap,it was just full of NTs shagging each other and nothing about how autism really presents,when they just showed the kid it was always to present him as a burden on the entire family,it sucks seriously i wouldnt recommend bothering watching it.

People need to let go of #1 quick...intelligence in those with ASD runs the same gamut as those in the general population. We have our own unique sets of challenges and advantages the same as anyone else, and this "genius" or "really smart" stereotype is actually doing quite a bit of damage.

As for #3...well, that might apply to me :)

Last edited:
People need to let go of #1 quick...intelligence in those with ASD runs the same gamut as those in the general population. We have our own unique sets of challenges and advantages the same as anyone else, and this "genius" or "really smart" stereotype is actually doing quite a bit of damage.

I think sometimes (a particular form of) intelligence can develop in a weird way with autistics as a result of being on high alert and anxious from day one..
Just to try and make up for not undesrtanding a single thing about what on earth these humans are doing or talking about the whole time.

If i dont wise up and pass theyre gonna get me....

Ive been called a genius before but the person who called me that was stupid. Comment rejected. Or am i stupid for thinking her stupid? She may have had hidden depths. Really well hidden.
Although ive also been called stupid,loads of times, but why go into that? :)
My mirror is mostly silent on the matter.
Ive also made so many mistakes i had to come to some sort of realisation of non perfection :)

I'm glad to see this article reproduced here. I have been tutoring ASD students for years and agree with the 4 misconceptions identified by the author. Another common misconception is that all autistics are computer experts. The American GED examination is now conducted exclusively on computer due to a change in the program a couple of years ago. Consequently, I spend too much time trying to teach some students the basics of using a computer in hopes they will be able to navigate the exam website if and when they take the examination, rather than focusing on teaching grammar and punctuation needed to write mandatory essays, math disciplines, literature and art, history and science which is what I should be doing. The college where I teach provides us with a computer lab and students can sign up for extra time in the lab to practice and learn.

BTW, my classroom is often full of laughter and fun which I think helps them learn both academic subjects and social interaction. Anyone who thinks autistics lack humor has never spent much time with autistics.

Thank you for posting this.
I really wish stereotypes weren't purported, or at least that people would understand the basics of a stereotype: a thing that can indeed be found in some people, but not all.

In terms of entertainment, I wonder how they will navigate that task:
- Autistic characters need to be more nuanced,
- But if they are too nuanced, NTs might lack the ability to identify them as autistic, unless it's clearly announced,
- Perhaps there are 2 stages, one being representing the diversity of autism to impart better knowledge of our reality, in an active way, and the next one being able to just have an autistic character in a program, but autism is just an aspect of them, not the core element/focus.

I'm glad publishing houses are resorting more and more to sensitivity readers. I'm not sure how many autists are actually sollicited to do that, but I think it's going to be a crucial step towards achieving positive representation of the spectrum.

I being autistic have a science of humor, but have a hard time understanding others science of humor. Also every one I know tells me I'm a genius, but I don't consider myself that smart I just logicallize everything.

The only one of those stereotypes I've really run into is the "no sense of humour" one.
People think I am about as funny and animated as a piece of cardboard.
I do have a sense of humour though, albeit a strange one. I like wordplay and dark, dry humour. For example I have never lost a game of Cards Against Humanity.

I think there are a couple of underlying issues that give rise to these misconceptions:

1. NTs' understanding (or lack thereof) of what Autism actually is. Everything I've seen shows it, at its core, to be an input/output difference (with varying degrees of severity). We perceive the world and communicate differently, which comes across to NTs as sensory needs, lack of emotion/empathy/humor (ha!), and "functioning issues," etc. They only see the "symptoms" (the outward effects) and equate those effects to the core thing.

2. When they portray Autistics, even in documentaries, they seem to always go for the people with obvious presentations of it. They "look Autistic enough." This is part of the larger issue with needing to "look" a particular way in order to be considered "valid" (see also: "but you don't look sick").

Add to that the fact that we're in the minority, so people have fewer data points with which to dispel the stereotypes that humans naturally form about people who are significantly different from themselves, and you end up with theses and other misconceptions.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a documentary about an autistic person or autism, but made by an actual person on the spectrum?
That would help with being more than a weird study subject...

BTW, my classroom is often full of laughter and fun which I think helps them learn both academic subjects and social interaction. Anyone who thinks autistics lack humor has never spent much time with autistics.
Thank you for sharing this! I think the Aspie funny bone is often heavily padded to protect us from NTs who take themselves and us way too seriously.

They "look Autistic enough." This is part of the larger issue with needing to "look" a particular way in order to be considered "valid" (see also: "but you don't look sick").
Reminds me of a tombstone I saw in Vermont. On it was the inscription: "I told them I was sick" ;-)

One major reason that premise #1 is damaging is because the expectations of the NT world are much higher for those autistic persons they think are "really smart." They think that we should all be successful professors or scientists while some of us have very serious social and cognitive challenges that have dogged us all our lives preventing such successes from coming to fruition. Basic life skills such as organization, planning, concentration, motor co-ordination and complex problem solving can be extremely difficult. You can be a "genius" in some things and impaired in executive functioning.
You can win academic awards in school while letting your peers do all the handiwork in science labs, and fall completely flat with teamwork projects.

This has been my experience anyway. Of course not everyone's experience with Asperger's Syndrome or ASD is the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom