• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fidget Toys in Stores

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
So I was out shopping yesterday and it was so crazy. I saw a huuuge table of the fidget toys, it as like 9' round table with at least a few inches high wall around it to to hold items. Full of the fidget toys. I couldn't even try to get close to it to, there were just dozens of people crammed around the table, I stood like 9-12' back watching them for a while, they were like crazy animals, shoving each other around playing with the different toys. It was just so unreal and intense watching them. I couldn't even tell if anyone was even going to buy one or if they were just playing with them or even what the price on them was... hopefully they'll be behind the glass door and you'll have to ask for one from a store employee the next time I see them because that was just no. I wanted to check them out but I couldn't even get close at all, wtf nts?

Fidget toys apparently are a new fad and/or craze. I understand how they are supposed to help people but what you described.. just feels horrible. People shouldn't act out over that. It kind of reminds me of when shoppers rush through sales (Black Friday as a big example) just to get a certain item before everyone else does. People obsess over something and don't realize what harm it does to others.. or people don't care if they are doing harm because they think they need the item that badly. It's a bit frustrating and just plain said as well.

I've noticed that a lot of NTs fidget absent-mindedly. Drives me nuts! lol. So whilst I would be fascinated by this fidget table, I don't think I could go anywhere near it because it would just be toooo distracting.

I've noticed that a lot of NTs fidget absent-mindedly. Drives me nuts! lol. So whilst I would be fascinated by this fidget table, I don't think I could go anywhere near it because it would just be toooo distracting.
I could never cram into a crowd of people like that unless it was a mosh pit at a really awesome metal show, which is its own thing entirely. But to cram into a crowd like that to look at merchandise at a store seems completely wtf unnecessary. I was a bit frightened.

Fidget toys apparently are a new fad and/or craze. I understand how they are supposed to help people but what you described.. just feels horrible. People shouldn't act out over that. It kind of reminds me of when shoppers rush through sales (Black Friday as a big example) just to get a certain item before everyone else does. People obsess over something and don't realize what harm it does to others.. or people don't care if they are doing harm because they think they need the item that badly. It's a bit frustrating and just plain said as well.
It's was like black Friday a bit but not really because on black Friday people take what they're after and move on, they were all just standing there playing with the toys. Nobody was taking anything away to buy or even moving away from the table at all, you would of thought the table had been full of psychotropic drugs!

...but then I again I find shopping a painful experience fraught with pitfalls. How people think that it is a good use of a weekend day to wander around (seemingly aimlessly) all day in a shopping mall is beyond me. When I go shopping it is like an SAS / Navy Seal operation. I know what I'm getting, where I should get it, how to get to that store and then how to get out again lol. Negotiating around people who wander at 2mph with no special awareness (or wing mirrors) who drift, walk 5 abreast or stop in the entranceway of a store. Arrrrggggggghhhh!!! lol

Mosh pit at a metal gig for sure is awesome but that is a completely different thing. I'm with my other tribe when I'm at a metal gig! So that is ok. What metal are you into, Questella?

...but then I again I find shopping a painful experience fraught with pitfalls. How people think that it is a good use of a weekend day to wander around (seemingly aimlessly) all day in a shopping mall is beyond me. When I go shopping it is like an SAS / Navy Seal operation. I know what I'm getting, where I should get it, how to get to that store and then how to get out again lol. Negotiating around people who wander at 2mph with no special awareness (or wing mirrors) who drift, walk 5 abreast or stop in the entranceway of a store. Arrrrggggggghhhh!!! lol
I do rather like shopping though, I like to see what's new, what's on sale, what's interesting. If the stores not too crowded I don't mind the people, don't mind skirting around other shoppers I know I weird people out the way I skirt around but if I try to say excuse me or whatever people almost never hear me anyways. I Rather enjoy taking music and headphones and just do my own thing alone, wonder around as long as no one trys to talk to me, sometimes guys come up to me and ask for my number and I'm always wtf about that I used to always wear a fake wedding ring so I didn't have to actually respond to them just flash the bling and move on. Getting out of the house and finding a super awesome good sale always makes me feel good. There was a particular kind of sweater I wanted and kept looking at the malls for but they were all out, I actually found one bumming around this store yesterday and half the price I usually see them at the mall for! This store is also FULL of pokestops so YAY woop, I have so many Pokeballs and berries now plus the sweater I coveted. :3. But that fidget toys table, which was right near the checkout, jeez I can't get over the animals! I'm sure it didn't help it was Saturday, but still.

Last edited:
I do rather like shopping though, I like to see what's new, what's on sale, what's interesting. If the stores not too crowded I don't mind the people, don't mind skirting around other shoppers I know I weird people out the way I skirt around but if I try to say excuse me or whatever people almost never hear me anyways. I Rather enjoy taking music and headphones and just do my own thing alone, wonder around as long as no one trys to talk to me, sometimes guys come up to me and ask for my number and I'm always wtf about that I used to always wear a fake wedding ring so I didn't have to actually respond to them just flash the bling and move on. Getting out of the house and finding a super awesome good sale always makes me feel good. There was a particular kind of sweater I wanted and kept looking at the malls for but they were all out, I actually found one bumming around this store yesterday and half the price I usually see them at the mall for! This store is also FULL of pokestops so YAY woop, I have so many Pokeballs and berries now plus the sweater I coveted. :3. But that fidget toys table, which was right near the checkout, jeez I can't get over the animals! I'm sure it didn't help it was Saturday, but still.

Wear a fake ring you say... interesting. Might have to steal that idea;)
Thanks!

Mosh pit at a metal gig for sure is awesome but that is a completely different thing. I'm with my other tribe when I'm at a metal gig!...

Thanks for bringing up metal shows! Reminded me of an upcoming Slayer show I'm going to, at this venue I've never been (new to Ohio), but I'm seeing another show there before then... when was that? I check my ticket... TONIGHT! Yikes, totally would have miss the show (that I just got back from... the Pixies), had it not been for this discussion.

Some schools where I live have banned fidget toys in class, including for autistic children, which has really irritated me. If they just used common sense and enforced the rules rather than pandering or blanket banning and only allowed children who NEEDED them to have them, they wouldn't have to make things harder for the autistic kids.

Some schools where I live have banned fidget toys in class, including for autistic children, which has really irritated me. If they just used common sense and enforced the rules rather than pandering or blanket banning and only allowed children who NEEDED them to have them, they wouldn't have to make things harder for the autistic kids.

I agree with this somewhat, however I doubt a school would be willing to check to see which kids are autistic or not. Life isn't fair- but a blanket ban is probably the best and easiest solution. Imagine the outcry if some could do it, while others can't. I can bet parents would throw a stink at meetings and whatever. I can see their point though- kids bringing in distracting toys to "help them". What's next? "My kid can't learn unless he has his cellphone on", "My kid needs loud music on to learn" (or similar examples)? Then the doctor hands the school a note giving the okay. I hope this makes sense- it feels like something schools couldn't handle well.. for good reason.

Also- isn't the whole fidget toy thing newer? So I don't think there is great proof it works. Like I posted above- if something is distracting, it shouldn't be in the classroom. No excuses. NT or aspie- no one has the right to distract from learning. If it distracts the teacher- that's even worse. Everyone has a right to learn.. but when someone is distracting, that is a burden on others. Plenty of ways to fidget without distracting the rest of the room.

I still feel the toys are "enabling fidgeting" when kids could learn not to fidget or just to fidget in a quieter way (yes I know it's not that easy, so it wont be an overnight type of thing). Being distracting and/or disruptive will not get them far in life. Should other kids have to find ways to not be distracted by the toy? Imagine if those kids did something distracting just to counter-act (or whatever) the toy bothering them? I feel like it would be a big neverending cycle until the teacher and/or the school get involved. If there is proof the kids aren't distracting and are getting good grades- keep the toys, but if they are- I strongly feel the toys need to be removed. The kids need to learn a different way to fidget. A few kids (or even one, obviously depending on the class size) should not control how things are run- period, no excuses.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh but it's how I feel. I think of both viewpoints then make my view based on them.

I agree with this somewhat, however I doubt a school would be willing to check to see which kids are autistic or not. Life isn't fair- but a blanket ban is probably the best and easiest solution. Imagine the outcry if some could do it, while others can't. I can bet parents would throw a stink at meetings and whatever. I can see their point though- kids bringing in distracting toys to "help them". What's next? "My kid can't learn unless he has his cellphone on", "My kid needs loud music on to learn" (or similar examples)? Then the doctor hands the school a note giving the okay. I hope this makes sense- it feels like something schools couldn't handle well.. for good reason.

Also- isn't the whole fidget toy thing newer? So I don't think there is great proof it works. Like I posted above- if something is distracting, it shouldn't be in the classroom. No excuses. NT or aspie- no one has the right to distract from learning. If it distracts the teacher- that's even worse. Everyone has a right to learn.. but when someone is distracting, that is a burden on others. Plenty of ways to fidget without distracting the rest of the room.

I still feel the toys are "enabling fidgeting" when kids could learn not to fidget or just to fidget in a quieter way (yes I know it's not that easy, so it wont be an overnight type of thing). Being distracting and/or disruptive will not get them far in life. Should other kids have to find ways to not be distracted by the toy? Imagine if those kids did something distracting just to counter-act (or whatever) the toy bothering them? I feel like it would be a big neverending cycle until the teacher and/or the school get involved. If there is proof the kids aren't distracting and are getting good grades- keep the toys, but if they are- I strongly feel the toys need to be removed. The kids need to learn a different way to fidget. A few kids (or even one, obviously depending on the class size) should not control how things are run- period, no excuses.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh but it's how I feel. I think of both viewpoints then make my view based on them.
I've been given fiddle toys si ceo in was reception since they were less distracting to the rest of the class then me spinning, wriggling etc. Some people biked to be aloud stuff like fiddle toys because it's equity (they deserve the same outcome i.e. a calm working environment). Since people aren't cookie cutter.

Thank goodness I go to a collage where fiddle toys are the norm and are readily available to anyone who needs them.

New Threads

Top Bottom