• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Experiences of rejection

I have plenty, my partner has plenty. One of my autistic son's has a lot, but another not so much, he has other struggles. My dad had plenty. I think it, generally, but not always, goes with, quote, unquote "The Autistic Experience". One thing I have learnt from it though, is to work exceedingly persistently, to validate myself on the inside, instead of looking for it on the outside. That said, we all, actually, do need some of the opposite~ acceptance and the sense of being cherished, as well, because we are social creatures who form a sense of who we are, in relationship with other's. So there's that.

I have plenty, my partner has plenty. One of my autistic son's has a lot, but another not so much, he has other struggles. My dad had plenty. I think it, generally, but not always, goes with, quote, unquote "The Autistic Experience". One thing I have learnt from it though, is to work exceedingly persistently, to validate myself on the inside, instead of looking for it on the outside. That said, we all, actually, do need some of the opposite~ acceptance and the sense of being cherished, as well, because we are social creatures who form a sense of who we are, in relationship with other's. So there's that.
We need something from the outside to keep us going. But probably more fundamental is to work on yourself on the inside, I think. If you can do that then the outside changes its response to you.

I've noticed over the last couple of days that I often feel, just below the surface, a sense of desperation. Its been like that for a long time, it rarely comes to the surface in a crisis, but it's not a nice feeling at all. But I'm more conscious of the feeling now, so I'm trying to deal with it, get beyond it.

I think I need to find something inside myself to alter my state of mind, become more emotionally stable. No one can do that for me obviously - it's my own responsibility.

New Threads

Top Bottom