• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ever had surgery

Dental surgery under general anaesthetic at age 10 (lots of local anaesthetics to have teeth pulled, too...I have stubborn teeth). Then nothing until age 37 when I had to have an emergency caesarean (c-section). I was awake for that. I had done months of listening to affirmations and practising deep relaxation so thankfully I was able to cope with it...it's hard to think about it in detail, though...remembering the sensations of scissors cutting me open, and being pulled as I was stitched up... I had to kind of actively dissociate myself from what I could feel. My brain was able to shift focus from that to being grateful that I was going to survive that pregnancy, haha.

Tonsils in my 20's and wisdom teeth, but I consider the wisdom teeth to be pretty minor as far as surgery goes.
I've been putting off getting leg surgery for anterior / lateral compartment syndrome. Need that because the pain makes it hard to exercise.

Curious - did you ever think that there might be a relationship between your Tonsillitis attacks (or just sore throat symptoms?) and development of Compartment syndrome symptoms soon after each episode of tonsillitis? (or just sore throat symptoms?)
I have friend who gets attacks of compartment syndrome soon after every episode of sore throat. He is due to have his tonsils out in September, and hoping the leg pains will stop.

Curious - did you ever think that there might be a relationship between your Tonsillitis attacks (or just sore throat symptoms?) and development of Compartment syndrome symptoms soon after each episode of tonsillitis? (or just sore throat symptoms?)
I have friend who gets attacks of compartment syndrome soon after every episode of sore throat. He is due to have his tonsils out in September, and hoping the leg pains will stop.
No. No relationship I know of. Tonsils were 30 years ago.
I was a runner for a few years. The last time I ran was 2012 because I got a bone spur in the Achilles tendon that made it too painful to run. Then a couple years ago I tried to start fast walking for exercise and that is when the compartment syndrome started. I think it had something to do with building up leg muscles and then just completely stopping all exercise for 2 years. Funny thing is that now I can fast walk without pain, and I think (but not totally sure yet) that the compartment syndrome may have gone away. Hopefully now it will just be one foot surgery and not also leg surgery that I need to get back into running. I will keep the sore throat thing in mind.

Tonsillectomy at 5, turbino- and septoplasty at 28-ish, and all my wisdom teeth extracted (finally!) under general just last December. Three were easy-peasy and were hardly painful after at all, but the fourth was badly impacted and the extraction was quite traumatic -- I could never have had it done under local.

I had it once, quite a number of years ago. Some dental surgery, general anesthetic. The idea was to pull down this stupid tooth that had never come down like it should; why exactly this was necessary, I'll never know, the stupid thing is small and deformed and generally pointless, but the process was done anyway.

I remember I was TERRIFIED at the idea of this whole thing. A fear of needles didnt help one bit (as this was the form the anesthesia would take, instead of gas). Finally, got there, got the stupid shots, aaaaaaaand.... the rest was REALLY boring. Boring! A couple of dull hours of staring up the doctor's nose. The only excitement came from the random sound effects that the various tools they use would make, such as "BLORCH!" or "bzzz". It was so boring that I nearly fell asleep a couple of times, but during something like that they dont let you do that, so they'd poke me so I didnt fall asleep.

This was followed by 3 or so really irritating days where I couldnt eat anything other than soup. Tasty soup, sure, but still, you get tired of it after awhile.

......Now I want some soup.

I have had brain surgery twice with a skull sectioning prior to the first one along with an eye socket rebuild.
It was just after these surgeries that my doc said that I would probably only be a vegetable if I was to recover at all and my family had me removed from support and made my final preparations.
I was declared clinically dead two times during that strange trip,so dying to me will be just another walk in the park when it is time to answer the final call.

When they added my intra-cranial shunt,they had to open my belly up for the lower connection and snaked some silicone tubing from my skull to my bowels and another brain surgery for the shunt.
My upper body was opened up to add an anti-siphon valve to my existing plumbing for my shunt. I have been disemboweled for diverticulitis, opened up for an epigastric hernia repair and a hand cut open to remove a bent Hoffman device pin.

Besides all of that,I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I am in :p

Last edited:
Man nitro, that's sounds for lack of better words kind of well trippy.

I've made it to 18 with out having a single surgery, but man nitro do your self a favor and take it easy
For a while. :p :D:)

I have had brain surgery twice with a skull sectioning prior to the first one along with an eye socket rebuild.
It was just after these surgeries that my doc said that I would probably only be a vegetable if I was to recover at all and my family had me removed from support and made my final preparations.
I was declared clinically dead two times during that strange trip,so dying to me will be just another walk in the park when it is time to answer the final call.

When they added my intra-cranial shunt,they had to open my belly up for the lower connection and snake some silicone tubing from my skull to my bowels and another brain surgery for the shunt.
My upper body was opened up to add an anti-siphon valve to my existing plumbing for my shunt. I have been disemboweled for diverticulitis, opened up for an epigastric hernia repair and a hand cut open to remove a bent Hoffman device pin.

Besides all of that,I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I am in :p

I am happy to say that the only operation I have ever needed is having my tonsils removed a week before my 15th birthday. The only other times I've had to go to the hospital were when I knocked a shelf of aftershave over as a toddler and got a bunch in my eyes and rolling backwards down a hill and getting tangled in my bike frame. Luckily both times there was no damage.

I'm 53 and I have never had surgery. Some dental work like wisdon teeth pulled and root canals under local anesthesia, but I don't consider that surgery.

I absolutely cannot even begin to fathom the thought of being under general, and having your body cut into. Your life dependent on the action of others. Total loss of decision making ability for oneself, even if only for a short time.

My goal is to live to an old age without medical intervention of any kind, and die at home, my personal space un-invaded.

I had my Wisdom teeth took out when I was 11, and then several years ago I had a filling done.

If I could afford it I'd get a Vasectomy, let's face it I'm 40 and still a Virgin, so I don't think "it" will ever happen for me.

Sure, had cancer of the colon and much of my inner being removed, wrist surgery as a result of a break, knee replacement, two shoulder operations, three lower colon surgeries, dental surgeries, eye surgery, but still strong, despite all that, and despite the diagnoses o_O.

Oh, boy, oh boy... I've had to have my skull pieced back together a few times, but they mostly did those outpatient, with glue, if you'd believe that! In-patient, I've had a few stomach biopsies, I've had my wisdom teeth removed (local, it was nightmarish!!!) and they went into my thumb-meat to remove a trigger finger, only to find out I had no tendon! Sooo, my left thumb doesn't really bend at the second joint, haha.

Miraculously, I retain my tonsils and appendix. Strange indeed. At least the various skull issues (I don't know my own height) have given me some nifty-looking scars!

New Threads

Top Bottom