• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Enthusiastically being "cured"

You are entitled to your opinions @Rodafina . And we agree to disagree today. (Always appreciate your views).Young children in other countries can be way more mature then American children. The fact that this young adult has made it to this forum asking very intelligent questions means l am going to decide myself whether they are capable of listening and deciding for themselves what they choose to do. I didn't tell this person to do anything that was against the law. This young adult is looking for insight, which means they probably can decide what they choose to do.

Last edited:
@tripleU,

I would like to tell you my experience with masking.

As a child growing up, I quickly learned that my autistic traits were not accepted by those around me and I was horribly confusing to them. Many of us are intelligent and observant young people and we can understand that we do not fit in the world like others seem to. I learned to hide everything about me, pretending it was always okay just to keep people away, and to keep people quiet.

I was never allowed to learn about autism because when I was young, much like some of the people that you have talked about in your life, people did not believe that young girls such as myself could ever have anything such as autism.

Masking my autism and learning how to hide everything I was and put on a brave face so that people would leave me alone led me to a very sad life full of drugs, alcohol, and feeling suicidal. It took me over 40 years to learn that being who I am is okay and to learn everything about myself so that I can understand myself and protect myself from anyone around me that would ridicule me or make me feel badly about who I am.

The problem with learning to mask as a young child is that you never get a chance to learn who you are. I’m not calling you a young child, by the way. Clearly that was a long time ago for you. If you read through the forums, you will learn that many of us have masked either in our past or are present.

First, we must know who we are and we must be able to differentiate what is real and what is a mask. Sometimes in life people here have found a mask useful, to get out of certain situations, to perform well at work, or to meet other important social expectations.

The essential piece of the puzzle is that we must have places, spaces, and people with whom we can simply be ourselves and there is no pretending. Pretending is not putting on an act or a play. It is denying what we are and failing to learn who we really are. If we mask too heavily, it can lead to a lifetime of confusion that takes a very long time to undo.

With the Internet available to you, I hope for you to find connections, mentors, friends, and acquaintances who will accept you for exactly as you are. Even if you are struggling. Even if you are furious. Even if you are confused and feeling lost and alone. There will be people who understand you and you do not have to pretend around them. I hope you can find people who are close to you that may be able to do this one day.

There are multiple ways to talk about autism without necessarily always calling it autism. Sometimes simply talking about how you feel and the impact that your autism has on you can bring greater understanding to people than saying “I am autistic.” Communicating your feelings to the world in writing, and conversation, or through art and music is very important.

Last edited:
If you mean the rainbow rating on this forum,
it's labeled as "Optimistic."

All the ratings are labeled.
The labels show if you mouse over them.

Sorry if this was offensive to you.
You are completely missing the point here. This is not offensive to me at all and this is not about my ego at all. This is about really thinking about the advice that is given. My concern is for @tripleU, not for my own pride.

REMINDER

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules, report it to a member of staff using the report button. Do not reply to the thread. If you are having a problem with another member of the forums, you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

Yup. There is a good side, though. There is no "cure" for autism because autism is not a disease. We just have different style brains. I actually find the idea of "curing" my innate way of being to be repellant. My instinctive response to that is "go jump in a lake" (that's the PG-13 version, anyhow).

wise words! :)

Wow so many replies, I also got a picture:
The person in white wearing a hat with glasses is the person who puts oil with his feet. My mom is the other person closer with some green on the bottom of her clothes. He is using the oil in the pan hot and probably applying to the overweight person, I don't remember clearly enough.
1680007016090.jpg

Here are the other two:
My hands are shaky or I was trying to hide me taking a photo. The girl looks horrified from the hot oil, I forgot to mention that all the children were horrified.
IMG_20230326_205052.jpg

2.jpg

Is the oil only used for people with some sort of ailment? Or is it something that everybody partakes in?

Is the oil only used for people with some sort of ailment? Or is it something that everybody partakes in?
Everyone takes it. Everyone brings only one brand of Olive Oil prob because it is cheap and they mix it.

Everyone takes it. Everyone brings only one brand of Olive Oil prob because it is cheap and they mix it.
So, does that include your mother? Does she have it applied to her feet as well?

Is it meant to cure everything and anything?

No not on the feet, everywhere on the body depending on the person. She also does it. It is meant to cure everything.

The feet are used by the main person to apply to them.

No not on the feet, everywhere on the body depending on the person. She also does it. It is meant to cure everything.

Sorry if you already mentioned it, but is this tied to religious customs?

Thank you for helping me understand.

Does that mean the man puts his feet on other people to apply the oil?

He gets his feet oily and then rubs people with his feet?

Or what?

Sorry if you already mentioned it, but is this tied to religious customs?

Thank you for helping me understand.
No! Not at all, they just say it is. I can't find any source of this, and using the left foot instead of the right hand feels like mocking the religion. There is nothing about applying oil, just eating olives.

New Threads

Top Bottom