• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Sensory Processing Disorder really need its own classification?

Telsa

Mr. Brown Shoes
I feel like this is just part of Autism and doesn't need its own name. But then, I don't know if people can have SPD without having Autism.

That's a tough question. I have learned that my number one problem with autism is SPD related. SPD issues are always causing me problems and I have to manage them like managing the finances of a business. One miscalculation and it could ruin my day.

People can have sensory processing disorder without having autism. It can co-occur with other neurodevelopmental disorders and people can have sensory processing disorder all by itself.

I am not sure. I have a Copy Number Variation that they discovered at a teach hospital when they Karyotyped me. It's over 8 genes and quite large. The part over a few genes, including PACSIN1 is where they think may cause my Sensory Issues because PACSIN1 codes for things like neuronal pruning which scinetists think DOES NOT occur when people get autism. Or sensory troubles.

However, I think that CNV is awesome and probably does great things. I think it was an environemntal factor that made it cause trouble. Absent that, I bet I would have had a good life. It's not the gene, it's some kind of metal or toxin or poison or chemical on top of it.

I am not letting the chemical copmanies off the hook and letting them cry "GENES!"

i dont think it should be diagnosed with autism because autism is a spectrum and can range from mild to severe sensory issues,so i dont understand why some people get it diagnosed when they already have autism.

over labelling people is a bad thing for the person as it can make them feel bad about themselves or stop a person from reaching goals because they see themselves as having a lot of problems, and also its a problem for for the labels integrity.

my pyschologist says he sees my severe sensory issues as part of my autism he doesnt recognise SPD on top of it.

i dont think it should be diagnosed with autism because autism is a spectrum and can range from mild to severe sensory issues,so i dont understand why some people get it diagnosed when they already have autism.

over labelling people is a bad thing for the person as it can make them feel bad about themselves or stop a person from reaching goals because they see themselves as having a lot of problems, and also its a problem for for the labels integrity.

my pyschologist says he sees my severe sensory issues as part of my autism he doesnt recognise SPD on top of it.

I agree....but is it possible to have SPD without Autism? I am wondering about that.

I agree....but is it possible to have SPD without Autism? I am wondering about that.
SPD does exist without autism its just not as common as it is with autism.

ive just found a quote here from wikipedia:
The study examined a group of 16 boys between the ages of 8 and 11. These children all have SPD but none of the children also have a diagnosis of Autism. The results of the MRI detected abnormal white matter tracts in the SPD children, particularly in areas in the back of the brain.
quote taken from the 'research' paragraph.

As others have said, Sensory Processing Disorder is a separate diagnosis. People don't know but it can be a uncommon/common comorbid condition with a number of other things such as ADHD/ADD.

On this note too, there's another condition called Auditory Processing Disorder, where the person with it can have a degree of inability to separate sounds in the foreground to those in the background making listening to someone in a busy restaurant or to a teacher in a noisy classroom quite hard. This is quite a common problem for people with autism but it is included in the diagnosis.

My son has SPD. He is an incredibly sensitive kid, but he doesn't have any of the other criteria (in my opinion) for autism. I haven't had him evaluated, but he seems to be thriving socially and at school, so I don't want to put him through that if there are no big issues besides his sensitivities. My daughter and I are both on the spectrum and we also have major sensory issues, but we just have "ASD" as a diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom