• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone walk on their toes, or been told a lot that they walk differently or funny?

Yes, yes and yes! I'm not sure why, maybe it's because it's more silent. That must definitely have something to do with it. But I also like the springy feeling. I'm not doing it all the time though. Probably more when there are people around. And definitely at night.

I have what I call a 'sloppy' walk. I have the ability to trip over my left foot. I trip up stairs and down stairs too. During senior school I was a little notorious for my 'accidents'. My art teacher dubbed me 'a walking/talking disaster'...He also told me he hoped to God his son never brought me home. He mean't it in jest (I think).
The weird thing was I was good at sport. Mostly track and field and swimming. Absolutely AWFUL at any ball related sport...hockey, tennis, volley ball, badminton. To this day, I'm still not sure if it's a 'shuttlecock' or a 'cockshuttle'. I'd get teased for that. The girls would throw it at me, not to me.
I won the school a few trophies for running. But eventually dropped out because the anxiety got too much.
My walking isn't as bad these days. I'm not good at tying shoe laces and still trip on those. I tend to avoid high heels, although I did teach myself to walk in them for (short periods of time) when I was 10.

Last edited:
I do walk on my toes as well...my Mother used to say she never heard me walking in her home...my friends say I shuffle my feet when I walk as well...the wear on my shoes is very uneven that proves it...my shoes have always worn differently,but I never noticed it until I observed it myself on older shoes and my newer ones...my gait is very uneven and my ankles are weak and hurt when running...I suppose that trying out for the Aspie Olympics is out of the question...

Yeah I've got dyspraxia. Have you?
I have no official diagnosis of my autism and will have difficulties getting a pro to look at mine with my added TBI issues...I have always had a photographic memory much like Dr. Temple Grandin...Temple and I are to meet face to face in early August in Baltimore...I contacted her about a month ago and she returned my call...I felt very honored to get a call from a celebrity

I have what I call a 'sloppy' walk. I have the ability to trip over my left foot. I trip up stairs and down stairs too. During senior school I was a little notorious for my 'accidents'. My art teacher dubbed me 'a walking/talking disaster'...He also told me he hoped to God his son never brought me home. He mean't it in jest (I think).
The weird thing was I was good at sport. Mostly track and field and swimming. Absolutely AWFUL at any ball related sport...hockey, tennis, volley ball, badminton. To this day, I'm still not sure if it's a 'shuttlecock' or a 'cockshuttle'. I'd get teased for that. The girls would throw it at me, not to me.
I won the school a few trophies for running. But eventually dropped out because the anxiety got too much.
My walking isn't as bad these days. I'm not good at tying shoe laces and still trip on those. I tend to avoid high heels, although I did teach myself to walk in them for (short periods of time) when I was 10.
I can't believe your teacher said that, that was mean and not funny!
That's funny about how you have a little trouble walking, yet you are good at running. But I'm the same way, because I always was told I walked funny, but I was good at dancing. Outside that, I bump into things a lot, like doors and walls.

In elementary school people said I "walked still," as in, my upper body, arms, didn't move at all. In middle school I walked slowly with 1 foot in front of the other because I was trying not to trip over people's backpacks in the aisle, and I leaned back because I usually walk on my toes, and then people said I was conceited because I was trying to walk like a fashion model, and I didn't even know how they walked! Then in high school, people said I was a slut because I swished my hips when I walked, and I didn't know I was doing THAT (no idea where that came from, maybe from dancing..?)

Also its funny that you aren't good at sports involving a ball, but good at other things, because that's true of me too. Once in high school in PE, the coached FORCED me to play basketball, and I was messing the game up for everyone. So I tried to just hang back out of the way, but she said if I didn't actively play I'd get written up, so I made myself jump in there and ended up taking the ball away from one of my own team members, LOL!

I feel my part in the spectrum may be valuable to the autistic world as my frontal lobe injuries show that autism may be based in the rear brain after what would be considered a frontal lobotomy from my accident...I do not seek a repair for my autism...I feel mine is a gift...

I do walk on my toes as well...my Mother used to say she never heard me walking in her home...my friends say I shuffle my feet when I walk as well...the wear on my shoes is very uneven that proves it...my shoes have always worn differently,but I never noticed it until I observed it myself on older shoes and my newer ones...my gait is very uneven and my ankles are weak and hurt when running...I suppose that trying out for the Aspie Olympics is out of the question...
ROTFLOL at Aspie Olympics!! I also have been told that people don't hear me coming and I "sneak up" on them and scare them, LOL! But I never thought to apply it to the Aspergers, nice to actually meet another person who does the same

I feel my part in the spectrum may be valuable to the autistic world as my frontal lobe injuries show that autism may be based in the rear brain after what would be considered a frontal lobotomy from my accident...I do not seek a repair for my autism...I feel mine is a gift...
So when you say you had a brain injury, were you born with the autism, or did it come from the brain injury?

I have no official diagnosis of my autism and will have difficulties getting a pro to look at mine with my added TBI issues...I have always had a photographic memory much like Dr. Temple Grandin...Temple and I are to meet face to face in early August in Baltimore...I contacted her about a month ago and she returned my call...I felt very honored to get a call from a celebrity
What does TBI stand for. What's it like having a photographic memory? Sounds really cool! Haven't heard of Temple Grandin, but one of my favorite characters on the show Criminal Minds, Reid, is autistic with an eidetic memory.

I think the reason I walk on toes is bcuz its uncomfortable to walk flat foot, like too much impact or something. Then when I sleep my toes r pointed straight down. If I pull them up like normal people it takes muscular effort. The upside to walking on your toes is that it gives you a really nice calf muscle. I always got complimented on my legs

To be fair to my teacher, I had just tripped over the leg on another students chair and fell into the pottery display table. (Where the entire classes projects sat) Fortunately I only broke a few and cracked some others. He didn't give me detention though.

I think the reason I walk on toes is bcuz its uncomfortable to walk flat foot, like too much impact or something. Then when I sleep my toes r pointed straight down. If I pull them up like normal people it takes muscular effort. The upside to walking on your toes is that it gives you a really nice calf muscle. I always got complimented on my legs
I would agree with you on walking flat footed and pointing toes when sleeping..."I can't sing,I ain't pretty and my legs are thin"...my thoughts on your legs shall remain private...laughs

I seem to be one of the only aspie/autistic persons i know (personally, not online) who does not walk oddly. In fact, many of my aspie friends have trouble running, which I find strange as I seem to have perfect form when I run and am one of the elite ones on my track team.

Sometimes I do get a major urge to do that weird skipping/galloping/? thing that we tend to do... I also get an urge to flap my arms too... of course I will prevent that from happening in public, but I will do this sometimes when I'm alone.

New Threads

Top Bottom