• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else depend on Pediasure to feed their kids properly?

Never heard of it. Is it because they are fussy?

We feed them a high quality multivitamin as one is very fussy, and also needs B vitamins.

Seems to help with meltdowns I think.

We've tried everything to improve her diet.

It has got better, but not much. It used to be cheese, pasta, bread, rice and fruit. She'll eat anything sweet though;)

We've changed cheese to vegan cheese,and removed gluten, which may have helped, but not sure.

I think you would only be a bad mum if you were either attempting to force feed your child, or just allowing them to starve or only eat what they wanted, meaning they weren't getting the full nourishment they need. I don't imagine Pediasure is particularly cheap, so the fact that you are willing to pay for it, and have searched something out so that your child is getting the necessary nourishment shows what a great parent you are.

I thought he was eating well, and we decided to not give him Pediasure anymore. A few months passed (three, I think) we got to the doctor and she says that he hasn't grown since the last visit (he's 7 years old). I decided to give him Pediasure again, and my husband says that "that was not the right solution". We got into an argument, long story short, I'm giving him Pediasure again. But I am a bit frustrated for not being able to give him proper nutrition in a natural way.

How long ago was his last visit Sabrina?
..."He's not grown since his last visit..."

What has your husband suggested as an alternative? (If Pediasure wasn't correct by his way of thinking?)

How long ago was his last visit Sabrina?
..."He's not grown since his last visit..."

What has your husband suggested as an alternative? (If Pediasure wasn't correct by his way of thinking?)
More or less, three months passed, and this is the first time that this happens. I few months before, he took all kinds of supplements (indicated by the doctor) for six months, more or less.
His solution would be that I somehow find a way for him to eat. I've tried, not only with him, but also with my 12 year old daughter -that is also a picky eater- everything imaginable, but the improvement is minimal. With her, the problem is that she is showing resistance to the insulin. Their health issues are as different as day from night, but in both cases is because they are picky eaters. I swear it's not because of me.

You're obviously worried? (doesn't sound much like a bad mom to me :) )

I used to involve mine in the preparation of their meals (supervised and within reason) other than that I have no advice to offer :\

You are a fantastic Mom! It's obvious his wellbeing is a priority for you. Might he like gummy-vites? I take those. ;)

It's really challenging to work to expand the palate of someone on the spectrum, regardless of age. There are "feeding therapists" for kids with ASD nowadays. Insurance often covers them, with a doc's medcal-necessity-note. There are even feeding therapists through OTs who work through schools.

I don't have any other ideas or resources to offer, but I am wishing you and your son the best success!

I breastfed my daughter, not for her health, but because it was easier than making and cleaning bottle and feeding solids. Breastfed baby's don't need solids until they are one. I was very lazy, rather stay in bed and whip out the titt hahahah. Everyone thinks it's awesome I breastfeeding fed but don't realize I only did it out of laziness.

Have you had their genes tested? That can help provide targeted nutrition.

It may also help with winning over hearts and minds.

You are a fantastic Mom! It's obvious his wellbeing is a priority for you. Might he like gummy-vites? I take those. ;)

It's really challenging to work to expand the palate of someone on the spectrum, regardless of age. There are "feeding therapists" for kids with ASD nowadays. Insurance often covers them, with a doc's medcal-necessity-note. There are even feeding therapists through OTs who work through schools.

I don't have any other ideas or resources to offer, but I am wishing you and your son the best success!
Thank you for your friendly response!
Can I complain just a little bit more? Some catharsis?
He ONLY likes one kind of specific multivitamin :eek:the yummy bears, and apparently they are non existent now in my city (it's been like that for four months now) . I have to check Amazon, though.
Thank you for the advise on the therapists.

I breastfed my daughter, not for her health, but because it was easier than making and cleaning bottle and feeding solids. Breastfed baby's don't need solids until they are one. I was very lazy, rather stay in bed and whip out the titt hahahah. Everyone thinks it's awesome I breastfeeding fed but don't realize I only did it out of laziness.
LOL!!! Me too, but also because I knew it was better for them... and also because it helped to loose the pregnancy weight.

Oh, frustrating for you! I hope you find the yummy bears again. Amazon is good!

If I ever *must* switch from my gummy-vites, it only is acceptable to me to switch to something really, really different. Like, you couldn't give me a similar fruit-flavored gummy-type vitamin and have me accept it. A totally different vitamin, say, a crunchy chocolate or caramel-flavored one, I would try. License to finicky! :tonguewink:

Anyway, maybe buying his yummy bears on Amazon in bulk will get you through for a while. I hope you are getting good nutrition, too. :sunflower:

Thank you for your friendly response!
Can I complain just a little bit more? Some catharsis?
He ONLY likes one kind of specific multivitamin the yummy bears :eek: and apparently they are non existent now in my city (it's been like that for four months now) . I have to check Amazon, though.
Thank you for the advise on the therapists.

(continued) and...
he would ONLY eat the freaking red bears :eek: and maybe, if I pleaded long enough, he, in all his mightness, would concede me the wish of eating an orange one.

Now, the loathed yellows, or other colors, forget about it, I was messing up with his principles. Until some genius finally decided to make the whole yummy bear bottle full of, hear this... red ones!! Hallelujah! But, they soon dissapeared... Why?!!!:eek::rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom