• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think pets help or hinder mental wellbeing?

Gerontius

V.I.P Member
Very curious to hear what people think on this one.
I live in a small 2br apartment and the cats that are in the dumpster all the time are adorable. I do not know if pets in the house are good for you or if they're a mess.
Grew up with a dog indoors and that was a disaster; frankly I'm glad we don't have her -- she died of advanced old age -- cannot tell if that was dog's fault or how she and family got along. Personally my dad was always the Dog Person.

Sorry if this is rambling or weird. My head's not been right as far as being able to write well.

I thnk it depends on the people. For me pets are friends. They make life better and I get so attached to them. My main problem with pets is that losing a pet really can mess my life up. So pets make everything better for me, but when I lose them it's very bad for mental wellbeing.

Last edited:
Having a pet is super important for me. I’ve had easy ones and I’ve had difficult ones. Both are a huge benefit to my mental health. I like the responsibility that a pet brings, and I dedicate myself to them in a way that it doesn’t matter if they have bad behavior and need some rehabilitation. Their presence in my life becomes integral and they become my very best buddy.

Although, they certainly are dirty.

And also, as stated above, it’s a hell of a hurt when they pass away.

I live in a small 2br apartment and the cats that are in the dumpster all the time are adorable. I do not know if pets in the house are good for you or if they're a mess.
Grew up with a dog indoors and that was a disaster; frankly I'm glad we don't have her -- she died of advanced old age -- cannot tell if that was dog's fault or how she and family got along. Personally my dad was always the Dog Person.

Sorry if this is rambling or weird. My head's not been right as far as being able to write well.
I'm sure Luca will have something to say about this.

Do pets help or hinder mental well-being?

Depends upon the pet(s) and upon the person.

Certainly, there have been several studies demonstrating a positive effect of having a loving relationship with a pet. It can decrease blood pressure and reduce depression and loneliness.

On the other hand, if the person is not the "alpha" (where the animal respects that you are the pack leader) and/or the pet lacks discipline, it can be quite stressful. As frequently pointed out by animal trainers, sometimes it's not a "bad" pet, but rather the owner is a "bad" leader.

I think it depends on both the animal and your own preferences. Dogs need a lot of attention, can be loud with their barking, and need to go outside to exercise and do their business. Dogs that are small and cute as puppies can grow up to be very large and then they need a ton more space and food and stuff. Dogs are pack animals, so you have to show them you're the pack leader and the one who's in charge. Cats need attention, but not normally as much as a dog. Cats can be litter trained and kept indoors and don't eat as much food. Cats are more independent, though, so they might be more reserved with their affection. Of course, dogs and cats all have different personalities, some are quieter and others are very active and some are friendlier and so on.

I know my pets generally help my mental health. I have always had cats and I currently have two. I feel I can communicate better with them than human beings.

Depends on the person. And the pet.

I've had some pretty high strung dogs, and some really chill ones. I've had sweet cats and psycho ones. The betta fish was fun. My daughter liked all her hamsters. The parakeet was a disaster. Screaming and screaming and screaming some more, about two to three hours before dawn. Ever wanted a rooster in your bedroom? Oh and when I had an aquarium, there was a frog that tried to eat the fish. That was a disaster.

I've had pets that brought peace and merriment to our family, and others that I couldn't stand. Some pets that I rehomed within a month of buying them, because of temperament and behavior.

I think I like having fish and big dogs. And nanny goats. But this isn't about stock, is it?

This is a good question. The dog my wife and I had when we were first married and which was three dogs ago is still mourned by both of us almost as if she was a child of ours. In fact, when she was a puppy I would tuck my shirt in and make a kangaroo pouch/baby carrier and walk around with her like that all over the house. She'd peek her little head out to watch me make meals, etc. To this day she was the best dog we and either of us separately have ever had. She most definitely improved our mental health and our lives.

In contrast I knew someone years ago who was single and kept horses. She did everything for her horses. She lived where she lived (ie in the country with acreage) because of her horses. All of her spare money went toward her horses. Unfortunately the money she spent on them was such that wasn't able to stay current on her bills such as her mortgage; even so, she wouldn't sell any of them and ended up getting into deep and serious financial trouble. While she thought the horses were positive for her "mental wellbeing", in reality having them without being able to afford them was negative to her mental wellbeing.

I've never really owned a pet as an adult but...

One friend of mine with Bi-Polar lives on her own in an apartment, and has a cat who I know helps her out with mental well being

Another friend with mental illness has pet rabbits that he keeps, apparently as therapy animals... I have a feeling it has something about having something to take care of...

It depends on the pet(s) and/or people. Personally, my boys ground me, keep me active, and generally improve my days. They significantly reduce my blood pressure and anxiety, form the core of my routine, and always make me smile.

Not gonna lie, there are some days they can be a challenge, but they're worth the time and effort. We've learned lessons from each of our pets. Zwi for example was a really good dog. Sweet natured, patient, without a single thought in his head. So easy-going, so worry free...almost too worry free. He was a bit boring in terms dog type things, (walks, games, tricks, etc...). He was an indolent giant.

Rue on the other hand is a high energy dog. He requires attention and a lot of enrichment. Not a dog for the inexperienced. Whip smart and vocal, he is not a restful dog. He is dramatic and a classic spitz. He also knows when things go south with my cardiac function, usually hours before things reach a crisis point. I'm still here because of him.

We recently lost Zwi to cancer and opened a new chapter with our puppy, Marlowe. Rue Dog clicked with Marlowe from the first, much as he did with Potato Cat.

The passing of Zwi still stings (and will for a long time) because he was such a sweet dog, but Marlowe has eased the pain.

20230929_203022.jpg
20230927_185505.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_20230913_181959_703.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a cat for the past 16 years. I started having major health problems a couple years after I got him and I must say that he has given me the motivation to get out of bed and to keep going through the really rough times. He has also been my best friend and the source of a lot of fun, love and learning about myself through the years. I think this has been because 1. taking care of someone you love gives you a reason to keep going (cats purring on your chest in the morning until you get up and feed them breakfast) and 2. having someone unconditionally love you, in the enthusiastic way that animals can, is also very inspiring and healing. As he has gotten older he has had a lot of health problems, which has been very stressful and expensive at times. But I think it has all been well worth the experience and I gain a lot from our relationship. I don't know how I would have made it through some of the tough times without him and I hope we have more years ahead of us!

do not know if pets in the house are good for you or if they're a mess.

Both. Dogs will at least potty outside if they are able to. It's tough when they hit old age and can't control their bladders anymore. Especially when they have a long wasting death. I've taken care of it though and I don't regret any of my dogs. If you have the "absolute cleanliness" version of autism though, dog ownership may be too much for you.

Pretty sure I wouldnt be able to function without them.

Even having them not be in the house for so much as like, 2 hours will start to get to me (this being whenever they're at what my stepmother calls "doggy daycare", which is once a week).

I have two dogs, Cooper, and Dingle. They are definitely a handful. Cooper is the bigger of the two and is pretty passive in a lot of ways, but also doesnt listen very well despite professional training. He's the sort of dog that will try to eat basically anything. He'll also grab things that he shouldnt have just to get attention... you can tell when he's doing this because he'll grab whatever it is, hop up and down and shake it, and then just stare at you, and if you arent paying attention to this display, he'll come closer and do it again. He's always safe for everyone to be around, and in fact if he's got something he shouldnt, you can just go ahead and take it from him. Well, you can try, anyway. He likes the ol' tug-of-war.

Dingle, his sister (well, not by blood, but I usually refer to them as brother/sister, they're both Wheatens) and the smaller of the two, is the opposite of Cooper in so many ways. Cooper is passive and friendly, Dingle is aggressive, and absolutely not safe for strangers to be around, she has bitten people before (dont worry, they were fine, and didnt get mad about it). Cooper is extremely social around other dogs (he freaking *LOVES* going to the daycare for that reason), Dingle usually doesnt seem interested. She is extremely clingy and tends to follow me around the house. Very high-maintenance... and she does make messes, generally if she's displeased about something (usually someone being out of the house, she seems to have a lot of separation anxiety).

So, put both together, and you've got quite the handful all the time, yeah? Also they are *LOUD*. Typically it's doorbells that set them off. They can definitely be a source of stress at times... particularly when they're outside, I always get a bit nervous about that, particularly with Cooper. Is he going to find something to eat that he shouldnt? What happens if he spots a frog? And there's ticks in the area, including in the yard... he has an anti-pest collar and whatnot but his bizarre sister occasionally pulls that off of him (???) and in all honesty I dont trust the anti-pest stuff... collars or otherwise... to 100% work. Maybe that's just me being paranoid. But I have found ticks on him before, and yes, he got Lyme's disease from it once awhile back.

But even with all of that... yeah, I could not go without them. The very thought is horrifying to me.

IMG_7013.jpeg

That's Dingle in the front there, watching me very carefully to make absolutely certain that I dont randomly blink out of existence, and Cooper in the back, kinda tired after a daycare trip.

Why he often chooses to lay on the slate tiles, I dont know. They are allowed on all of the furniture, they could lay on any soft thing.

Depends on the pets and the circumstances. My cats mostly help my mental health, but not always. When my burnout or depression gets bad, I don’t have the energy to give my pets the attention and care they deserve. This makes me feel bad, but one of them will also loudly complain when he’s bored. He’s right, but I can’t deal with that when I’m already dangerously low on spoons.

My cats being on the older side, they’re mostly content to just nap and don’t require a lot of playtime to keep them from destroying stuff.
Unfortunately I had to make the decision to rehome my lovely kitten earlier this year because I couldn’t give him the home he deserved and it made both of us miserable. (He’s very happy now in his new home).
Downside of older pets is, obviously, mortality. I’m already worried for how I will feel when they pass on :(

Pretty sure I wouldnt be able to function without them.

Even having them not be in the house for so much as like, 2 hours will start to get to me (this being whenever they're at what my stepmother calls "doggy daycare", which is once a week).

I have two dogs, Cooper, and Dingle. They are definitely a handful. Cooper is the bigger of the two and is pretty passive in a lot of ways, but also doesnt listen very well despite professional training. He's the sort of dog that will try to eat basically anything. He'll also grab things that he shouldnt have just to get attention... you can tell when he's doing this because he'll grab whatever it is, hop up and down and shake it, and then just stare at you, and if you arent paying attention to this display, he'll come closer and do it again. He's always safe for everyone to be around, and in fact if he's got something he shouldnt, you can just go ahead and take it from him. Well, you can try, anyway. He likes the ol' tug-of-war.

Dingle, his sister (well, not by blood, but I usually refer to them as brother/sister, they're both Wheatens) and the smaller of the two, is the opposite of Cooper in so many ways. Cooper is passive and friendly, Dingle is aggressive, and absolutely not safe for strangers to be around, she has bitten people before (dont worry, they were fine, and didnt get mad about it). Cooper is extremely social around other dogs (he freaking *LOVES* going to the daycare for that reason), Dingle usually doesnt seem interested. She is extremely clingy and tends to follow me around the house. Very high-maintenance... and she does make messes, generally if she's displeased about something (usually someone being out of the house, she seems to have a lot of separation anxiety).

So, put both together, and you've got quite the handful all the time, yeah? Also they are *LOUD*. Typically it's doorbells that set them off. They can definitely be a source of stress at times... particularly when they're outside, I always get a bit nervous about that, particularly with Cooper. Is he going to find something to eat that he shouldnt? What happens if he spots a frog? And there's ticks in the area, including in the yard... he has an anti-pest collar and whatnot but his bizarre sister occasionally pulls that off of him (???) and in all honesty I dont trust the anti-pest stuff... collars or otherwise... to 100% work. Maybe that's just me being paranoid. But I have found ticks on him before, and yes, he got Lyme's disease from it once awhile back.

But even with all of that... yeah, I could not go without them. The very thought is horrifying to me.

View attachment 117452

That's Dingle in the front there, watching me very carefully to make absolutely certain that I dont randomly blink out of existence, and Cooper in the back, kinda tired after a daycare trip.

Why he often chooses to lay on the slate tiles, I dont know. They are allowed on all of the furniture, they could lay on any soft thing.

My dogs liked to lie on hard ceramic tile, too, especially in the bathrooms, in summertime. I think they do it because they like the coldness of the tiles and their fur and fat provide cushioning for their bones.

It’s been hard dealing with that part. But, I think a good counter would be the fact another would appreciate a good home.

Yes, I lost a dog and I would love to have another one. I would love to have 10 of them. It would be wonderful. But I haven't been able to. Because it would be like I'm replacing her. Like I lost the dog, got another dog and then everything was ok. And I can't do that. I still struggle with the loss, it just feels completely wrong to get another dog, disrespectful in a way.

Getting another dog is the best way to get over the death of an old dog. I can deal with the guilt because I know there's hundreds of shelter dogs facing the death penalty for lack of a home. I wish I could adopt them all.

I have often connected to animals much easier than humans. They are so much easier to read and understand. It takes all the pressure out of the relationship. And the love they give in return does not need to be earned. It is a beautiful thing and one that I have tried to incorporate into the way I treat humans.

As for what kind of animals, I tend to prefer the ones that you can have a closer bond with. I think fish are beautiful, but I do not connect with them as well. I worked in an environmental center with my mom when I was just a kid. We would take in all the wounded animals with the goal of releasing them back into nature. Some, for one reason or another, were not able to return to the wild and wound up becoming fixtures at the centers. Some of my favorites were a ferret, a raccoon, a duck, and a squirrel. They were the sweetest beings ever.

Sorry, I am rambling. I guess. in summary, I would say that where it is possible, caring for other creatures made me a much better human being than I was. I know this not the case for everyone, so I totally respect that. Just personally, I cannot imagine a world without them.

New Threads

Top Bottom