• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you read?

I like to read technical documents and textbooks. Computer programming manuals, math textbooks, physics books. I love all of that stuff. I also read fiction, but it usually has to be long and thick and dense for me to consider it as worth my time.

I like computers - but I'm a tweaker, not a coder. Maybe some, but not so much. Mostly, if anything, just LUA code. Came from my MUDding (MUDs are an old-style text-based game run, previously, in telnet, now in mud clients, by a VERY small proportion of the population; command-based; for instance, if you wanna smile at someone, the command to type would be: "smile [name goes here]." The game was Project Bob. Sadly it's dead now. Too bad, it was the best game I had ever played, aside from Skyrim/Fable 2. - stands for Multi-User Dungeon = MUD).

I'm not a fan of math, though I did achieve calculus as my last math class in high school. Of course, though, I and another Aspie I had known in the class, who is VERY much like myself, would joke around for the literal-whole length of the class period, with the teacher, accomplishing virtually nothing, so my grade wasn't probably good. I don't know, I didn't really see my grade. I've graduated and I'm in college, that's the important part.

In fact, on the topic of Aspergers, that's what we'd joke about. EVERYTHING literal. We'd say "Well, technically [this]" and "Well, technically [that]".

In the end, the diagnosis became more of a fun insider joke than a real diagnosis, but that's because I've matured a lot of the way, since elementary and middle school.

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness, yes. Up until college, I would get very anxious if I didn't have a book to read. That bit of time between books was just awful. I have no idea how many books I've read, but I'm told I'm very fast, and I would read the most random things as a kid. I remember realizing that most people don't read the encyclopedia for fun, so I stopped that (too bad, huh?). Now that I'm in school, it's pretty much all textbooks, but every spring or winter break, it's TO THE LIBRARY.

When I was 12, I took each volume of the encyclopedia out from the library and read it for fun. The beginning of each volume was good because it showed how the letter was derived in various languages. I liked that a lot, so I made up my own phonetic hieroglyphic representation of the letters of the English alphabet. It was really clumsy, but fun.

Well this is interesting. Judging by most of the responses here, there is a heavy tendency towards historical, vocational, and educational resource literature.

I differ in that I read almost nothing but Science Fiction and Fantasy novels. I have on occasion perused the dictionary, and read through a fair portion of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, but I cannot stand reading memoirs, historical fiction, realistic fiction, or non-fiction. I can only barely tolerate histories, and even then only if they deal with scientific discoveries or war.

I don't generally, but I really want to more. I've read alot of George Orwell, some H.P Lovecraft, Stephen King and such, but I have problems focusing on reading for some reason.

I'm in the constant pursuit of knowledge, making me a voracious reader. I colorfully highlight sections of interest and scribble questions and observations in the margin for future reference.

I too am a voracious reader. I read a lot of books about writing and then whatever is interesting me at the moment. I love science fiction and mysterys but I have become very picky in the last few years. I also read non-fiction.

I love fantasy and sci-fi, I also like science fact, as a kid I would read anything, including the dictionary and the phone book!

I've just started re-reading after the longest time not reading anything, with some of my favorites being anything sci-fi and fantasy; and, yes, I did read the dictionary when I was little.

Rereading "The 13th Valley" written by a Vietnam Vet. Based on the real operation at Khe Ta Laou, it is a book of fiction every American history major should read.

Hey Rooster,

A lot of people are saying this is an accurate description of what happened over there. Spend 13 days with the boonierats of Company A, 7th Battalion, 402nd Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division as they hump thru mountains & a Valley. It's very good and at the same time, tragic & sad.

Why's that, Sparticus?

Last edited:
I love reading, though I haven't read a whole lot of books because I get stuck on a certain book or series and end up rereading them. I spent three years reading/rereading books in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I still haven't finished the whole series because I haven't been able to get more books from it.
I've been trying to branch out more. I need to read multiple books at the same time because I can't stay focused on one book for too long. Right now I'm reading Orlando, Mrs. Dalloway, Jack the Ripper's Secret Confessions, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Witching Hour, The Theatre and It's Double, and American Psycho. Trying to avoid the temptation of rereading a few books (The Night Stalker, Girl Interrupted, Queen of the Damned, Mysterious Skin)
I also get caught up in a lot of fanfiction so I kind of count that as reading. Also a lot of nonfiction online (I have a hard time reading fiction usually, I gravitate toward nonfiction). Technically I read a whole lot of material, though usually on the internet, rather than in book form.

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this thread? I LOVE to read and have for as long as I remember. I read almost any genre, and I try to read an author's books in order before moving on to the next. I don't go anywhere without a book, so I can get to a quiet place and read if I am anxious. I'll be so happy when my eye surgery is done and I can read again.

Right now I am reading: Clive Cussler, Robin Cook, Joana Fluke, john D Macdonald, James Rollins, Carl hagan, Randy Wayne White, Sussan Wiggs, Stuart Woods, among many others

Currently working my way though Cormac McCarthy's complete works, the ones I haven't read yet are The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark, Suttree, The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain. Currently on about page 40 of The Orchard Keeper, I've been curious about that one for a while since I had a grad school classmate who said that he attempted to read it but had to stop because it was just too dark (And this was someone who loved Blood Meridian and gave a brilliant presentation about it. Not only that, but this was someone who attended a public execution in Saudi Arabia when he was stationed there, which he regretted doing).

New Threads

Top Bottom