• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you read?

Now, I'm reading a book about serial killers in early history which begins with Gilles De Rais back in the 1400s.

Sounds scary! It will make a good read for Halloween.

I just read the book How Bad Are Bananas: The Carbon Footprint of Everything. It's SOO cool! Also, the book Garbology was really good. I definitely recommend that to everyone, even people who don't care about environmental stuff. It was probably one of the best nonfiction books I've read in a while.

I'd read this book too. There are consequences in everything we do, and I really want to know how I can do my bit to reduce my carbon footprint.

I read anything I can get my hands on. I have limited funds but when I do the money usually goes towards one of two things, a new aircraft model to build or books. I even go so far as researching online what is the best books to suit my interests and will hunt out said books in my favorite used bookstores. The bookstores are not organized at all either. So I spend quite some time hunting out books among the poorly kept shelves and bins. But finding one I'm looking for is exciting. I also usually come out with a couple that caught my eye too, so I'm not that anal about it. I read mostly non-fiction. I really love old travel books, books on military equipment, books on gardening and different plants. Informational books of all kinds really. I can't get enough of them.

The last books I read: "Wild Edible Plants" by John Kallas,PhD and " the Quickening" by Stuart Wilde. Interesting stuff. I actually went out and identified enough wild plants around my neighborhood that I foraged for a month without buying produce. It was cool. The quickening is about thinking outside the box of mainstream society. Now I am reading more books(a bunch) about edible/medicinal/useful plants in order to be comfortable in the wild. I also read about primitive survival techniques. I've always loved that stuff! Cheers

That's really cool. I have two field guide type books which help to identify various wild plants. I have yet to put the information into practice but I should eventually.

That's really cool. I have two field guide type books which help to identify various wild plants. I have yet to put the information into practice but I should eventually.

I'd recommend trying new to recent growth cattail shoots. Just pull them up, cut off the rhizomes (although edible as well), cut off the tough leaf part, leaving only the white inner stalk. Peel if necessary to get to this white inner stalk, wash well, very well as they grow in swamp like conditions, and either saute or eat raw (wash VERY well) I think they taste similar to cucumber. The "cattail"portion of the plant, the corndog looking thing, when green and immature is good too. Just boil and eat. Wild rose leaves and hips make an awesome tea, as does pine needles and TRUE Juniper berries and needles. Dandelions are another in which you can't go wrong. Leaves, flowers and roots are edible. Add the leaves and flowers to a salad. Not bad at all.

Young Poke weed leaves is another one I eat on occasion. This one is tricky though and requires to be boiled two or three times, discarding the water and rinsing between boilings. It'll make you sick, stomach cramps and all if you just boil and eat. I made that mistake the first time I ate it.

Persimmons if you can find them are great. Mulberries are a favorite. Acorns I've heard are good but haven't tried yet. They have to be soaked for long periods, discarding and changing the water to remove the high levels of tannins. I'd like to try them though.

Of course you're in Florida, so you have many more choices depending on your location in florida. Coconuts, ..even seaweed I would think. Many more I'm sure.

I read so much its silly. I love writing too. But I am very into two very opposite things fantasy, paranomral romance novels, and psychogloy and social work textbooks I really like criminology too. I am also a huge history girl. I love Japanese History and know a lot about Isreali history as I took a class on it in high school which was very interesting. But I have to read for at least half hour fourty minutes before I sleep or I won't be able to sleep.

I don't really have enough concentration at the moment. I lost my sharpest edge last year and haven't still reached all my cognitive skills back, I just hope that I will. I feel so sad about it because there'd be so much that I'd want to read. There's not really filling that void just with watching documentaries or movies.

I've been having problems focusing for some time now but I just finished "The Man in The High Castle" by Philip K. Dick. It was exceptional, I need to read more Philip K Dick.

I love to read! I read a variety of genres, my favourites are (in no particular order) fantasy, science-fiction, contemporary fiction, chick-lit, historical fiction and literature (I don't read enough of the last one, somehow the books intimidate me). I also like detectives (but don't read them that often). I used to like thrillers a lot but the past few years I haven't read any (maybe one?). I also like a paranomal book now and then, or Young-Adult (or a children's book). I also read manga from time to time, I don't read it a lot because I prefer 'normal' books and because it's expensive. My boyfriend owns quite a few manga so I tend to mainly read his (I own a few manga myself).

I also like non-fiction, ie. a true story or an information book. I haven't read many information books in the few years before this one, because many of them contained knowledge I already knew. I like to learn new things (when I'm not tired etc) but because of my high level of education along with the fact that I've already read so many information books led to that in the subjects I was interested (which is many), most books don't contain much new information. Lately though I'm reading more information books, for example self-help books.

Listing my favourite authors would be really hard, since there are so many nice authors and books. I'll take a shot at it though (in no particular order):

Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Karen Miller, David B. Coe, James Clemens, Anne McCaffrey, Tad Williams, Peter V. Brett, Yahtzee Croshaw, Maria V. Snyder, Iain M. Banks, Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, Peter F. Hamilton, Joe Haldeman, Dan Simmons, Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain, Sin?ad Moriarty, Sophie Kinsella, Penny Vincenzi, and more..

To-be-read authors of whom I own quite a few books: Robin Hobb, George R. R. Martin (reading Game of Thones at the moment), Isaac Asimov, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, David Eddings, and more..

I read both standalone books as well as series. I own many paperbooks (mainly paperbacks because I prefer them) and some ebooks (I have a Kindle). Some of my books I've read and some I haven't read yet (I do love to look forward to reading it, and once I've read it that fun is no longer there). Not only do I love to read, I also love to buy books and to organise my book shelves.

I read mainly in English, which may be strange for a Dutch person. When I was a child I read in Dutch, but as I got older and my English language skills improved I found reading in English to be nicer (and cheaper). Especially with fantasy and science-fiction stories, certain terms just don't sound right in Dutch, in my opinion. My boyfriend is British and since we've been together, most of the books I've read since then are in English. Even when the original is in a different language that isn't Dutch or English (ie. Spanish, Italian, German) I' prefer to read the English version.

It's great to meet some fellow Aspie readers. I don't know if my book reading can be considered an obsession. I don't read when I'm supposed to study, but in my spare time I do read a lot and in a conversation I do always love to talk about books.

I love to read, the only thing that sucks is Iam a seminary student so I have to read all the time and even though the stuff I want to read is similar to the stuff I have to read, it just isnt the same. So now that its the summer and I have time...I havent been motivated to read anything haha

Any book worms here? :D
I love to read. I've read easily hundreds of books. I mostly read mysteries and classics. some of my favorites are: Gone with the Wind, pride and prejudice, and any mystery by Joanne Fluke and Diane Mott Davidson. :)

Also the novel House Rules is really good. I just finished it.
I just finished reading this, as well. I really enjoyed it. I am new to Asperger's and could relate to the book. I would recommend reading it. The authors name is Jodie piccoult.

I thought House Rules was really good! I really liked reading it. House Rules and My Sister's Keeper are my two favourite Jodi Picoult books (so far, I haven't read all of them yet).

I have read and re-read the dictionary. I consumed them when I was a child- My Aspie Nephew does as well. Just wondering, if any one else reads the dictionary for pleasure?? I have constructed a dictionary in my head. From a-z, with bonus synonyms and antonyms. It worked really well, until I smashed the left side of my head and suffered mild traumatic brain injury when my brain tried to exit through my face. Words were like gibberish! I swear it was like hearing a foreign language. Scary stuff. I am still in recovery really, but doing better. Headaches and stuff don't help but I have been trying to get my dictionary back in order, by consuming all matter of written material. Science blogs mostly, but I have a secret desire to read a dictionary again from start to finish! Maybe an throw in a scientific journal or two?

I read dictionaries for pleasure, but rarely from cover to cover. I like to browse.

Usually I don't like fiction. An exception was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Besides reading it to myself a couple times, I have read it out loud to 2 other people. One person at a time.

I don't like Fiction EITHER.

I prefer non-fiction military history books. YES, I'm a history-buff/bookworm. And a techie. And a sugar-addict, amongst other things.

New Threads

Top Bottom