• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like lists?

Grocery lists are essential. Grocery items also get mixed with other items [a vertical list: tomatoes; shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix); pair of pliers; ] --and onward. But it is a memory trigger. Grocery items from the grocery store. The pliers from a big-box hardware store. It works for me. I cross out the items I have bought and add more when I know I need something.

Easy "notebook" is a sheet of printer paper [I remember when it was called typewriter paper]. Fold the sheet of paper into a square that will fit in a shirt pocket. Each square within the folds is a "page." Pages can be torn out to clean up the notebook or to make a memo or note to give away. My "business card" is one of these little pages with relevant info written on it when needed. When a printer sheet gets too messy or is used up, more where that came from.

Some of my "notebook" notes are relatively permanent info. Business addresses & phone numbers that are useful to have available. I laminate the pages with Package Sealing Tape. Face side only in most cases. The tape makes the info useable forever. For the girls, maybe find a pen with a clip that won't easily break and clip the little "notebook" closed with the pen-- in your purse.

I like lists too. I use them for remembering stuff (to-do lists and grocery lists) but my favourite use is when trying to decide between various options, in other words pros/cons lists.

Do you like lists? If so, what sort of lists? Do you like making lists, or reading them, or both? Is it an ASD thing to like lists? Here's a list of the reasons why I like lists:

1. I find it much easier to read information if presented as a lost, rather than a text.

2. I have a preference for lists going down the page, rather than across.

3. It helps me to organize my thoughts abd prioritise if I make a list.

4. It helps me to remember information if I make a list.

5. I have a thing with data/stats/numbers, watching them decrease or increase.

6. Lists are fun. I love reading top ten lists, statistics, sites or blogs with lists of things in categories. I like using sites or apps that allow you to create your own lists, or which generate lists and statistics from the data you put in, like a data base, for example RYM or Last.fm.
I use google inbox to make reminders.

So in a way that's a list scattered through time.

Reminders appear by location
Weekly, monthly,yearly
Or are reset to the next time things need to be done after completion.

I usually end up setting several reminders for the same thing and on the due day
I get to see how bad my memory is.

I love lists..... Keeps things all organised in my brain....
Himself is a compulsive list maker....
For weekends.....
DIY shops (a major part of his hobby)
Food....
Travel.....
I sometimes hijack his lists and add on his 'Things to do list...' And put ... ME!!! ;)

Now the other question is....
Do you tick a completed task...
Or cross out....??

I cross out...
Sometimes putting stuff on the list I know Ive done, so I can cross it out immediately.... And give myself a head start.... :)

I've arranged the "view" in my file manager as a "list" uh....forever.

Or at least since the advent of Microsoft Windows 3.0. ;)

I love, love, love lists.

I have used them for groceries, yes, but only if I have must-need items (say, for making a certain recipe). Otherwise, I like to go to the grocery store willy-nilly and try to remember what I need/want as a mental exercise.

I usually make lists for organizing a confusing life that would otherwise get me overwhelmed and leave me curled in a ball on the couch. At one point, I was getting a master's degree, finding an apartment, applying for more degrees, applying for scholarships, trying to figure out an appropriate career, running a business - you know, generally staying busy. Lists were a life saver.

I will sometimes have multiple lists on a page: budget, school to-do, general to-do, family to-do, people to contact. I also enjoy the outline style list with multiple levels.

I prefer a checkbox list when I write them but usually end up crossing them out for visual clarity and the satisfaction of seeing things being complete. I also prefer to write lists on paper. They help me remember the items better, and I forget about typed lists.

Additionally, I keep many of my lists. I do not always finish the tasks, or I finish them but don't revisit the list to cross things off. The important thing seems to be to make the list in the first place, to organize my thoughts. Writing things down gives me the sensation of drawing the stress out and clearing my mind, relieving my anxiety.

To answer your vertical or horizontal question: vertical. always vertical.

I like lists I make many on post it's to supplement the space in my paper diary. Old school I guess. Then I cross off the tasks. My sister is even more list oriented than me I am INTP and she's ISTJ on Myers Briggs think I m more big picture maybe. Also these days memory fails somewhat and lists remind me ! :rolleyes:

I rely on lists. Especially at work. And they have to be written top to bottom, not side by side.

In fact, side by side lists make me feel quite discombobulated :confused:

Definitely top to bottom.
I’m not writing a story.
I’m writing a list.
If I want to fit it onto one piece of paper. (A big list)
I fold the paper to make columns.
Keeps things organised.

I'm the same. For some reason that I can't fathom, when I was at the school, I hated it when the student wrote along a line rather than down the page. I insisted that they wrote down the page, but they often didn't want to. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I coped with it by finding a justification for writing across the page that was acceptable to me; that they want to save space and paper. Then I coud accept it. Otherwise it would drive me crazy.

Another thing that drove me crazy was when they wrote in bright-coloured ink, but that's another story.
Oh my... I would have been your worst nightmare as a student. Well... maybe not worst. I didn't create lists across a page, but I rarely turned in an ordered page. I'd write in flyspeck print. Or uncial. In all the colors of the rainbow. And many pages were illustrated with doodles and sketches of one kind or another. I also used to ask unrelated trivia questions in the margins, just to keep the teacher on his or her toes.

As for lists, i make dozens of them.

I wish I could remember to look at them after they've been created, though....

I rely on lists. Especially at work. And they have to be written top to bottom, not side by side.

In fact, side by side lists make me feel quite discombobulated :confused:
Yes, exactly. If the list is all across one line, it creates the impression of being all one item, and that's overhelming.
Messy. A waste of lead/ink/marker. Takes more time. And if I cross it out too good, I won't remember what I already accomplished.
Exactly! I still need to be able to read the list after I've completed it.

Lists are awesome.

Also, the outline format of notes. So much that even if I mindmap, I outline in the mindmap.

Poems can be seen as a kind of list.

Do you like lists? If so, what sort of lists? Do you like making lists, or reading them, or both? Is it an ASD thing to like lists? Here's a list of the reasons why I like lists:

1. I find it much easier to read information if presented as a lost, rather than a text.

2. I have a preference for lists going down the page, rather than across.

3. It helps me to organize my thoughts abd prioritise if I make a list.

4. It helps me to remember information if I make a list.

5. I have a thing with data/stats/numbers, watching them decrease or increase.

6. Lists are fun. I love reading top ten lists, statistics, sites or blogs with lists of things in categories. I like using sites or apps that allow you to create your own lists, or which generate lists and statistics from the data you put in, like a data base, for example RYM or Last.fm.
To a very high degree my life is structured around process, plan, and lists. Want me to do something? Make me a list. The challenge is when something happens outside process and I don’t recognize it. I really get out of sorts. I love lists! I like to organize my grocery list in a crossword formation and listed from the back of the grocery store to the front of the grocery store where the checkout is.

Last edited:
1.I'd be in it though, if you did.
2.I'm too good to leave out.
3. Minimum number for a list is three.

Should the desire ever possess me Mr Fridge I’ll make you a deal,

You can appear in my story if I can appear in your story.

Oh what fun we could have :D

Getting a book published means we’d be all famous ‘n’****.
(Because it would be a thumping good read)
Don’t know about you but I have to scurry to the shop and try to go about my daily business as inconspicuous as possible.

Can you imagine book signings? T.V plugs? Your own website where the world knows who you are and how to myther you?

Not for me Mr Fridge my good man, not for me, thank you
:)

My ADHD coach showed me a wonderful way of using a diary to organise myself ....lists and appointments....its just keeping it up ...which i suck at.....started it.....will get there

New Threads

Top Bottom