• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

do you have contempt for other people

No, its the opposite for me actually. I may like a lot of solitude but I have a natural deep respect for people.

That looks like 2 questions.

Do I generally dislike people?
Do I generally think people are lower than me?

No, I don't dislike people.
I don't always enjoy interacting with people.

I don't think people are lower than me. I am not sure what
that means, actually. Think that other people have less value than my own value?
That would be assigning a "not-OK" value to others.

A person with that stance would regard himself as
either OK or not-OK, but others would definitely
be "not-OK." That wouldn't be much fun.

Do I generally dislike people? No
Do I think people are lower than me (translating this to mean do I feel contempt for most people, or think they have less worth than me)? No

No, I am not a misanthrope if that's what's being asked. I admit to having difficulty at times interacting with Neurotypicals, but not humanity at large.

No, I love people, have a warmth in my heart for them.
I fear people. My social ineptitude & significant communication challenges create whopper rejection sensitivity.
I crave the chance to comfort, cheer, nurture, support, and give love to people.
My ASD tends to block my abilities to express caring.

Contempt? None at all.
Are people below me? No. We are all in this together. Everyone has something to teach me. :sunflower:

Challenges in trying to connect and interact, coupled with fear of rejection, sure do keep me to myself, though. Being socially clueless is crummy. Wish people knew I cared.

Nobody expects caring from an autistic.
Autism creates Compassion Ninjas. ;)

Last edited:
Most people annoy me, and I rarely find others interesting at all, but I wouldn't say I have contempt for most people. Of course, threre are always those individuals who semm to invite contemptuous feelings.

In general, I hate people so yes I do have contempt for mankind as a whole or group. I don't avoid society, I need people to accomplish my goals. There are also individuals that I treasure and friends or loved ones and, individuals I greatly admire but, as a group I hate people, they are foolish, idiotic herd animals that will mob and beat you as quickly as they will applaud and cheer for you.

Am I arrogant? Yes a bit, I am better than some others in some areas and, most often in more areas than any given individual but, there are people better than me in some areas too. I simply find that, on average, I have a larger, more diverse and, better learned skills set than the majority.

I think you need to better address the term contemp. I generally don't want to be around people, know a few whom I really admire, but mostly, I want to be alone. I don't believe disliking a person makes them contemptible, though. I may dislike some people for being unpleasant but they aren't necessarily contemptuous. I reserve that judgment for someone who actually harms someone in thought, word or deed. So, a social climber is a jerk, but a kidnapper, murderer, or rapist is contemptible.

do you generally dislike and think people are lower than you

I used to dislike myself. I don't know if it was contempt upon myself, but I thought everyone was better than me at most things. Now I neither dislike nor like myself. I accept that I have some strengths, and many weaknesses. I am not perfect, and never will be. But I try to improve what I perceive as qualities about me. Contempt is not a secondary emotion I want to cultivate.

Well, speaking in general terms contempt is a bit strong, but occasionally those that are total hypocrites get the golden turd award from me. I prefer disdain as a general rule. The inability to change from self righteous indoctrinated divisive thinking to a more inclusive, free thinking type of human compassion, is worthy of derision. A few here are quite good at this, I find them interesting.
Which bring back to one of my favorite under- answered questions.
Do you prefer, as a general rule nice people or interesting people?
The interesting folks tend to answer, and the nice are nice.

The other question about opinions on inferiority/ superiority is where I was going when I read the title of this thread and became distracted by the subject being debated, as well as the posts of our other friends.
This rant of mine will be vomited out later, on a separate thread.

I don't have contempt for people themselves, but often have contempt for their actions, when they are injust, act irrationally or disrespectfully. If I see someone smoking in public, I think, what a stupid thing to do, that's wrong and unfair on those around him who don't smoke and I have contempt for their inconsiderate action, but not for that person, because the smoking is just one aspect of their personality and doesn't define who they are (though it does say something about their personailty).

I don't have contempt for people themselves, but often have contempt for their actions, when they are unjust, act irrationally or disrespectfully. If I see someone smoking in public, I think, what a stupid thing to do, that's wrong and unfair on those around him who don't smoke and I have contempt for their inconsiderate action, but not for that person, because the smoking is just one aspect of their personality and doesn't define who they are (though it does say something about their personality).

Love the sinner, hate the sin.
So to speak

No, I like people. I've been able to get along with lots of people others have had trouble with. I'm often thought of as diplomatic. I have a limit to interacting with people, but that is not the same.

I do not think others are beneath me, usually the opposite is my problem. But there are certain situations that seem to draw out behavior in people that makes me feel "better than". Loutish sports fans come to mind. But I know that is a matter of context for the most part.

I dislike most people in general, but I can get along with pretty much anyone. I do seem to like certain people very intensely, but that's rare.

I don't think I'm above people, though. Not even a little. I don't even think I'm above people I can't stand.

It's largely apathy, because I can't connect to them and don't feel we have much to offer each other. I definitely have contempt for lazy people, especially when it comes to creative pastimes and especially because I've spent so much time studying, practicing, and working. I figure if someone gets huffy and moans for sympathy because their first attempt at a short story doesn't garner much attention, there's little about them worth respecting. Everyone else just put in x100 the time, energy, and dedication.

I do indeed have contempt for people. Lots of people, pretty much all of humanity actually (most of the time). But it's only because so many people have abused and mocked me in the most sadistic and cruel ways. Some people more than others, especially former friends in particular who stabbed me in the back deliberately and without warning.

Forgive me if I refer to all of humanity and you interpret that as me implying that you, personally, the reader, are falling under the umbrella of my hatred. There is no need to be offended. Quite on the contrary; AspiesCentral has been the most supportive online community I've ever subscribed to. It stands in direct contrast with other forums I have had the misfortune of being part of.

Webster's dictionary defines the word "misanthrope" as "a person who hates or distrusts humankind". I would say that I am a misanthrope in spades. Others have called themselves misanthropes, but now-a-days I am wary and skeptical of people who do so. Some of the aforementioned ex-friends did indeed claim to be misanthropic, however, after getting to know them I found that their motivations for hating humankind were not justified in the slightest. In fact, what they cited as reasons to hate humanity I find as some of the only things that keep me clinging on to this life. In other words, they were fake misanthropes, poseurs, pseudo-misanthropes. And it's all because of their reasoning behind it. They only fueled my hatred even more.

I am a misanthrope primarily because of the iniquity and intolerance I see in this world. I have seen how humanity mercilessly sh*ts all over what it falsely perceives as being weak and inferior, and then laughs all the way to the next victim. Then, god forbid someone with an ounce of compassion speaks up and tries to call the flock of vampire-sheep out on it, because that would mean that they're some kind of "SJW" or "communist". I mean, hey, ain't I a piece of sh*t for beginning to attempt making my situation better? Taking a stand for what's right?!

I could go on typing on until my fingers snap off or my keyboard breaks about how much human society makes me sick. I keep trying to heal the countless wounds they have inflicted on me, only for them to throw acid in them and lick my tears. All my efforts are futile, it's as if they only want me around to take delight in my misery.

Also: I'd like to apologize for the less literary-minded types if my imagery is flying over your head. Of course, I'm speaking metaphorically. Let this quote from Max Payne 2 sum up what I'm talking about: "The rain was comin' down like all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss at the same time. When you're in a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors."

New Threads

Top Bottom