• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have an 'escape'?

Take dog for a walk. Then sit on the park grass, and stew.
Which ain't always good.

Or, walk in the door, directly to bed, close all light and noise, and close eyes, and stew...

Or get in the car and drive north. Into the mountains, the forests. Just go until I get "Where are you?" phonecalls. But I can get into forests on roads normally only traveled by logging trucks. See kangaroos and the odd wombat and lots and lots of rabbits. Maybe stop at a creek. Just the sounds of a forest. Wind thru trees, birds making "ping" sounds.
And then home.

How can i control my feelings? i really wanna be an actor but i have to learn to control feelings! please help me:(:(:(:(:(

Ps: i Really wanna start changing myself now! TAke a pill so my aspergers go away!

When it comes to change, I think the most important thing most any Aspie needs to learn is to recognize those traits and behaviors they have control over, versus those they do not. The "Serenity Prayer" isn't just for alcoholics:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I use this prayer/mantra to myself everyday. I believe it to be one of the most profound wisdoms ever written.

I use this prayer/mantra to myself everyday. I believe it to be one of the most profound wisdoms ever written.

Funny, I always think of that one, too, even though I'm not very religious. It used to be written on a plaque in the house I lived in when I was seven and the plaque sometimes flashes with other pictures when I'm nervous. It is from the Bible, right?

Ah that poem. Yes I find it helpful too. It means a lot to me and helps me to move on when I need to.

As for escapism, well, exercise, books, movies, tv series, and online gaming, but I spend a lot of time in my garden too.

Another cool quote. "When you're going through Hell keep going and under no certain circumstances should you stop. It is possible to outrun the Devil."

Funny, I always think of that one, too, even though I'm not very religious. It used to be written on a plaque in the house I lived in when I was seven and the plaque sometimes flashes with other pictures when I'm nervous. It is from the Bible, right?

It's not from the Bible itself but is a poem/prayer written in the early nineteenth century i think.
I love it as it is so true, when everything else feels meaningless and ephemeral I find it like a solid rock of truth to hold onto. A small solid rock of certainty in a maddeningly uncertain world.

I like that it flashes when you are nervous, hold onto those words when life becomes overwhelming. :)

Sleep, if I can. Always, spend time with my pets. Eat, and NOT something good for me! Definitely not be with people. Work on a jigsaw puzzle. If some attractive diversion presents itself that will definitely help. Mostly, take a nap with my dog and if the cats join me, that's good too. My dog is my mental health. I try never to ignore her needs and if she wants a walk I will take her to a pleasant place. I'm lucky to live near many old Erie Canal tow paths. NY state maintains many of them for hiking and my dog is always happy there. I love her so much that I can feel a little better if I know I have done something she likes.

I like to relax in my living room at home. I live in a small, cliquey town of about 300 people so having an escape from that is needed.

I find being outside at night looking up at the heavens is a good escape for me. Everyone else is inside at night and it's nice and quiet out there.

I almost always have the radio on. I grew up in a house like that. It helps me not to feel lonely. (On hard days I need to be alone, not have to interact but sometimes I actually feel lonely.)

There has been times in my life that work was my escape from stress.

If it's a really bad day I first talk to friends or family, but talking does not help to escape. I put some music on and if it's not too late I go out to some quite place or the beach to take photographs. Taking photographs really makes me forget the world around me. Lately I noticed that it helps to be practically busy with something. I like to assemble things, it takes my mind of things as well.

No, the Serenity Prayer is not in the Bible.

This link tells who wrote it and how it became
popularized, as well as noting some variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

When I was a youngster, my stress reliever was riding a dirt bike as fast as I could on very rough trails. I always thought that it was odd that this relieved stress, but when I was on a beautiful, quiet golf course, I usually wanted to pull all of my hair out. They both require a lot of attention, but golf is a lot harder. These days my life is not very stressful and my happy place is at home with my wife.

New Threads

Top Bottom