• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you frequently use social media?

Just another quick question, directed at the whole thread rather than one individual. I was thinking of making another thread entirely about it, but I think it goes hand-in-hand enough with this topic, and I feel like editing my first, thread-beginning post will make it go mostly unnoticed.

Has anyone been on or is anyone currently on the site WrongPlanet? Last night, I was randomly searching Google for other Autism/Asperger's chatrooms, forums, etc. similar to this one and that was one of the first things to come up. Just by looking through the forums and all on the site, it seems to be pretty similar to this one, but I'd rather get the opinion of a real person who's actually been on it before than just making a hypothesis according to what I see. Is it as similar to AspiesCentral as I'm assuming it is? Is it well-guarded from trolls and such like AC is? Does it work the same way as AC, or maybe a little different?

Maybe all of these questions don't entirely make sense. Ah, well. Thoughts?

I made an account on there (under the same username I'm using here), and it's telling me to make a server? Was I supposed to do that? I skipped the introduction part because I'd rather join other peoples' servers instead of making my own... and now I'm completely lost. :disrelieved:

No you don't need to create a server. Just send me a dm. Or send me your full username (it will have a # and numbers with it).

I have tried to use social media in the past, but I haven't a clue what to post on them. I found that my accounts stayed blank and I just lurked around, so I decided to close my accounts.

Ugh, I cannot stand people like that. Pretending to have a disability or serious mental illness for the sake of getting attention or because they think it's "cool" or "funny", and make people who actually have a disability look bad in comparison.

I used to have an account on a website called DeviantART and there were people like that crawling all over it if you knew where to look, such as one user who used her "bipolar disorder" as an excuse to bully several users and gain sympathy from others (i.e. making her victims look bad because they were calling someone out who was "disabled"). A quick look through her comment history was enough to prove that she was, more than likely, just another run-of-the-mill troll.

Long story short, I hardly go on there anymore unless it's to look at fanart and all.
ugh,i agree,the internet has made it so easier for people with mental problems who feel like they never got enough attention to take advantage of the sympathy of people, i would personally love it if support sites admins requested scanned proof of diagnosis but still allowed self diagnosed people as long as people were made aware of who was diagnosed and who was self diagnosed.
itd make it a lot more transparent and safe for the vulnerable users of the forums.

i really hate deviantart to,loved it until i got badly bullied purely because of my level of autism and my intellectual disability, i gave it up,its not a good art site,its a place where trolls can go and critique nastily because they have no life and think making other people feel like crap gives them true happiness,it doesnt,it just makes you an immature dick,,my 5 yr old niece is better at treating people kindly unlike these so called grown ups on devart.

I've just deactivated Facebook. I spend way, way too much time on it and I've found recently it is not helping me with my anxiety and low moods. I'm worried about ending up back on there again before I'm ready.

Is it as similar to AspiesCentral as I'm assuming it is? Is it well-guarded from trolls and such like AC is? Does it work the same way as AC, or maybe a little different?

From what I've heard from people on AC who've used WrongPlanet, the trolls and bullies there are all likely to be members who have been there a long time. However, I've never been a member and I'd agree with @Judge in that the best way to find out is to go have a poke about.

There is next to nothing I miss about Wrong planet. One or two people there who tried to change the general tone of the place and gave up, but that's it. It was full of bitching and bickering and backstabbing, and quite a few seriously unhinged people. I much prefer it here. There is the occasional dispute but it is nothing like it was there.
Okay, the quoted post and the main subject of this topic is enough to leave me feeling more than a little leary about getting involved on that site. I mean, I made an account there earlier today (all I have left to do is verify it through my email account), but I'm not sure how much I'll be using it.

However...
Perhaps it would be more objective for you to find that out on your own. But we'll leave the door open when you return. ;) :p
From what I've heard from people on AC who've used WrongPlanet, the trolls and bullies there are all likely to be members who have been there a long time. However, I've never been a member and I'd agree with @Judge in that the best way to find out is to go have a poke about.
Agree with what xudo's indicated @Spotty01
I was a member but didn't spend all that much time there. You should try it yourself. Some of the members here who spent time at WP did write about their experiences:

Old friends you miss from wrong planet and stuff you miss about it.

Wrong Planet

https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/what-has-happened-to-wrong-planet.16123/#post-306771

What with three people trying to convince me to do this, I might, at the very least, give WP a try. Maybe lurk in the background, test the waters every once in a while, see if it's really as bad as the aforementioned posts imply that it is.

I have an account on Facebook, but I only post...maybe once a year, if at all. I do use the Messenger function to chat with a few friends in our private group chat.

I can't stand logging in because it's quantity over quality in FB most of the time. I don't count it as being "present" in any relationship anyway, so I don't see the point.

I used to have a DeviantArt. I was ok with it at first but I don't like it when people brag abut how this particular artwork only took them 2 hours, or how they only used one layer in Photoshop, no references. It kind of drained my inspiration too.

Anyway, I just tell people I'm too lazy to bother with social networking. :rolleyes: After a while, they got the message so yay, no more song quotes!

What with three people trying to convince me to do this, I might, at the very least, give WP a try.

I'm in no way attempting to convince you. For my own part, peoples experiences at Wrong Planet were not mine. Having spent little time there and not becoming all that involved. My take on the matter is more in the nature of verifying these sorts of experiences myself.

Individuals of different ages, and personalities will have differing experiences there as they would here.

I'm in no way attempting to convince you. For my own part, peoples experiences at Wrong Planet were not mine. Having spent little time there and not becoming all that involved. My take on the matter is more in the nature of verifying these sorts of experiences myself.

Individuals of different ages, and personalities will have differing experiences there as they would here.

Also not trying to convince you, as I did say I have never been a member there. I just think that if you really want to find out what it's like and to see if it's for you, then the best way to do that is to look around there for yourself.

Also not trying to convince you, as I did say I have never been a member there. I just think that if you really want to find out what it's like and to see if it's for you, then the best way to do that is to look around there for yourself.
Okay, apparently "convince" was the wrong word to use, but then again, I don't know what the right word to use would be.

I'm not trying to say that anyone forced me to do anything, I made that decision entirely on my own, the comments were just a little extra push. ;)

Oh, jeez, this is going to make me sound really entitled probably... :coldsweat:

Why hasn't this thread been featured yet? My last few featured threads have always been, well... featured around the "15-post" mark, and this one's at 32 and counting. I've always just assumed threads were featured because of how many posts they had rather than anything else.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but this is legit something I'm wondering about. :icecreamcone:

Oh, jeez, this is going to make me sound really entitled probably... :coldsweat:

Why hasn't this thread been featured yet? My last few featured threads have always been, well... featured around the "15-post" mark, and this one's at 32 and counting. I've always just assumed threads were featured because of how many posts they had rather than anything else.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but this is legit something I'm wondering about. :icecreamcone:

To my knowledge it's not an automated function, but one left to the caprice of the mods and admins.

Okay, apparently "convince" was the wrong word to use, but then again, I don't know what the right word to use would be.

I'm not trying to say that anyone forced me to do anything, I made that decision entirely on my own, the comments were just a little extra push. ;)

Some of us are merely being fair- and polite. If you search, you'll find other threads relative to WP which aren't likely to be "endorsements" at all.

I believe this thread hasn't been "Featured" because
there is nothing outstanding or unique about it which
would warrant it's being "Featured."

There have been several on the same or similar topic.

A thread being "Featured" isn't an automatic function
based on post count.

Some of us are merely being fair- and polite. If you search, you'll find other threads relative to WP which aren't likely to be "endorsements" at all.
Endorsements? I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I believe this thread hasn't been "Featured" because
there is nothing outstanding or unique about it which
would warrant it's being "Featured."

There have been several on the same or similar topic.
This one was, though?

I'm beginning to think I'm treading on thin ice here...

New Threads

Top Bottom