• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you frequently use social media?

Spotty01

Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

Not asking for anyone's specific accounts or anything, because that would be creepy. Just curious... well, that, and I just wanted to make an off-topic post for the first time since I've joined this forum.

I, for one, do not. I have an account on the three aforementioned social media sites, but I rarely, if ever use them. I mean, I've tried to be active on various social media sites, but my social anxiety often gets the best of me. Yes, even over the Internet. If anything, I go around liking posts and such, but my interaction with other users often stops there. If you ask me, social media (Facebook especially) is way too rife with drama and B.S. for my tastes, not to mention people all over the Internet have tendencies to be really rude and hostile... often for the sake of p!$$ing off other users because it's... fun or something?

And now, I await responses. That is all.

I have accounts with the three mentioned but I don't use them. I do use discord and I've found it to be incredibly helpful for me. I used to suffer near panic attacks when faced with social media situations (devising a response, responding with the appropriate font type, replying to enquiries from family, editing a response, matching the appropriate emoji to my post or response, etc).
With Discord, each server is like a mini community that runs endlessly (24 hours a day due to members from all timezones chatting continuously) - I meet a lot of people who are gamers from all walks of life. Each community has it's own set of rules and is self goverened and protected by it's members. Most people if not all on discord, are quite quirky and eccentric. You can even just hang out in the background and lurk if that's your thing. If you find the right server, you've gained a friendly group of fellow weirdos that will greet you everytime, listen to your troubles and it's a great place to find co op buddies or other nerds/geeks (I say that with the utmost respect btw).

Last edited:
Facebook, Twitter, for awhile. Don't use them anymore and closed down my original FB account more than nine years ago.

Facebook occasionally... Most of my limited activity is within groups, and event pages, not directly on my account page...

Joined Instagram recently for posting my photos, I probably don't interact as much as I should...

I couldn't care less about Twitter, have no desire to have an account...

I find myself slightly uncomfortable with social media, always have, only make limited use of it...

One exception, if you want to even call it social media, is my Flickr account for photos... Flickr is primarily a photo website... I joined back in 2005 and still actively post there...

I use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, and YouTube if that counts.

Pinterest looks interesting. While I have no desire to interact with anyone in particular there, I have seen a lot of talented plastic modelers displaying their work there.

Last edited:
I used to suffer near panic attacks when faced with social media situations.
Same here. It would always get intense anxiety whenever someone replies to me on any form of SM and it would never sit well with me until I actually responded back. Even then, I would often sit at my computer, almost panicking, waiting on a response... only to never actually get one weeks later.

(devising a response, responding with the appropriate font type, replying to enquiries from family, editing a response, matching the appropriate emoji to my post or response, etc).
Does the font or emojis really matter, though? Not judging, just wondering. ^^

With Discord, each server is like a mini community that runs endlessly (24 hours a day due to members from all timezones chatting continuously) - I meet a lot of people who are gamers from all walks of life. Each community has it's own set of rules and is self governed and protected by it's members. Most people if not all on Discord, are quite quirky and eccentric. You can even just hang out in the background and lurk if that's your thing. If you find the right server, you've gained a friendly group of fellow weirdos that will greet you everytime, listen to your troubles and it's a great place to find co op buddies or other nerds/geeks (I say that with the utmost respect btw).
I looked it up, but I can't really decide whether it's something I'd like to get involved with or not. What I'm really worried about is the amount of trolls some public chatrooms like that tend to have. I have yet to actually sign in or anything so I'm not positive on how this works, but are there any specific servers you would recommend?

Pinterest looks interesting. While I have desire to interact with anyone in particular there, I have seen a lot of talented plastic modelers displaying their work there.

Pinterest is great. It's not even just for crafting; I've found a lot of great landscape and Disney pictures on there too.

I have used Facebook for years. Never had any insulting responses. It's like if they don't have anything good to say then they just don't say. Lucky I guess from what I've heard from others. But, I enjoy it. I also like to post pictures/photos. Only two on there I know in real life. But, this for me is one way of communicating without the face to face social anxieties.

I only go on aspie central. ....! Its the place to be :)... And i only got the internet in april...so wouldnt have a clue how to get on facebook etc etc... But id avoid facebook like the plague as thats where all my friends would be haha....!

Pinterest looks interesting. While I have desire to interact with anyone in particular there, I have seen a lot of talented plastic modelers displaying their work there.

Pinterest is a killer (of time). I'll think "oh I'll have a look for a specific recipe"....an hour later I'm still looking.

I use FB for myself, and I use Twitter and Instagram for my hats. I do also have a FB page for them too. Other than that just Pinterest, which I use mainly for recipes and sometimes crafts.

Does the font or emojis really matter, though? Not judging, just wondering. ^^

Picking the wrong emoji (there are many btw) can make a difference. For instance if I were to use an emoji which I liked the look of but am unaware of the context behind it, that surely alters the meaning of my communication. Every server will have either standard or personalized emojis. Personalized emojis are harder to implement correctly without knowing their backstory. Choosing a font is merely one of my idiosyncracies that I no longer care about.

I'm not positive on how this works, but are there any specific servers you would recommend?

I am part of some that I believe would suite you well, one especially. It isn't accessable to the public and is well protected from trolls. Also, they have many different topic rooms alongwith venting, meltdown, and crisis support. There rooms for gaming and programming, a memecenter and even voice chat for AFK situations or group games (Cards Against Humanity, Karaoke Bot, RPG bot, and more). Just add me : LittleKnownBeat#9870
I will discuss it with the server mods and get you an invite. I can invite you to a few others as well.

Welcome to Discord Spotty!

Last edited:
For some reason, it completely slipped my mind that this site counts as social media. :sweat:

Point taken. It's complicated. :)

I suspect most members use this site more often than not for more practical purposes relative to being on the spectrum. Yet it doesn't preclude us from purely socializing here either.

i only use forums,i do have a facebook account of which has a mega awesome secret autism group added to my favourites but i got fed up of it as there was a troll who continuously faked severe low functioning autism and intellectual disability to gain attention from the parents of the group,i dont like people using my disabilities as a pity party when ive done nothing but fight to get where i am,its also an insult to people with severe low functioning autism as they do not have the capacity to interact and comment like this troll did.

anyhow,i do not use other social networking stuff,its all to pressurising,i cant process language quickly nor convert my thinking into language quickly so its better on forums as you can take a while to compile what you want,social networking is more fast paced like chatrooms.

I am part of some that I believe would suite you well, one especially. It isn't accessable to the public and is well protected from trolls. Also, they have many different topic rooms alongwith venting, meltdown, and crisis support. There rooms for gaming and programming, a memecenter and even voice chat for AFK situations or group games (Cards Against Humanity, Karaoke Bot, RPG bot, and more). Just add me : LittleKnownBeat#9870
I will discuss it with the server mods and get you an invite. I can invite you to a few others as well.
Welcome to Discord Spotty!
I made an account on there (under the same username I'm using here), and it's telling me to make a server? Was I supposed to do that? I skipped the introduction part because I'd rather join other peoples' servers instead of making my own... and now I'm completely lost. :disrelieved:

i only use forums,i do have a facebook account of which has a mega awesome secret autism group added to my favourites but i got fed up of it as there was a troll who continuously faked severe low functioning autism and intellectual disability to gain attention from the parents of the group,i dont like people using my disabilities as a pity party when ive done nothing but fight to get where i am,its also an insult to people with severe low functioning autism as they do not have the capacity to interact and comment like this troll did.
Ugh, I cannot stand people like that. Pretending to have a disability or serious mental illness for the sake of getting attention or because they think it's "cool" or "funny", and make people who actually have a disability look bad in comparison.

I used to have an account on a website called DeviantART and there were people like that crawling all over it if you knew where to look, such as one user who used her "bipolar disorder" as an excuse to bully several users and gain sympathy from others (i.e. making her victims look bad because they were calling someone out who was "disabled"). A quick look through her comment history was enough to prove that she was, more than likely, just another run-of-the-mill troll.

Long story short, I hardly go on there anymore unless it's to look at fanart and all.

New Threads

Top Bottom