• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

do you dress differently to express yourself?

A few days ago I shaved half of my head and trimmed the other side down to an A-line. It was completely on impulse but somehow turned out exactly the way I wanted it, and I still don't regret it. As a matter of fact, it makes me feel much more self-confident than I was before!

My clothing consists of yoga pants, "ironic" T-shirts, mismatched socks, and running shoes.

Maybe it's a little different for me, since I'm (biologically) male, so there aren't a lot of expectations...but I do try to go for a particular "look"...I *always* am in cargo pants, a nerdy t-shirt that depicts something either pop-culture or scientific (ask me about my Pluto shirt!), and a hoodie (the hoodie may or may not be a part of the ensemble, depending on the weather). I don't know if it's to "stand out," but I do consider the style to be my own, and I would feel weird wearing anything else. In times past I would go barefoot in the summer, which I considered another fashion statement. So yes, while my goal is "comfort," I do consider it part of my "look" and I am quite proud of it.

My wardrobe is pretty extensive, but mostly summer/athletic wear, (Shorts, sleeveless shirts/tank tops.) I also have a few windbreaker/track pants, a huge collection of polo shirts, several sweater vests, and a few pairs of dress pants. No denim/jeans, or really heavy clothing, and only one suit jacket, which I would wear ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! lol. Around the house, I prefer shorts and a sleeveless top. For church, I'll rock dress pants, and a polo shirt, sometimes with a sweater vest. Depending on my outdoor activity of choice (either running, or bicycling) I have specialized clothing for that--a collection of cycling shorts, running shorts, and running singlets/tank tops.

As far as shorts go, none of them go past the knee. I like them, as well as all of my clothing, to fit properly, and close to the body. I guess I dress for comfort more-so than look, but I don't have any ragged clothing, or anything with holes. I prefer to try to take care of what I have.

I used to wear only historical clothing, like petticoats, floor length skirts, blouses, shawls, cloaks, cameos, pelisses, stockings, frocks, etc. Now I mostly just wear my uniform for the aviary I work at: a blue aviary shirt, and khakis. When I'm not working, I wear clothes with mostly bird prints, or feathers. I prefer skirts, but with leggings so I can still climb trees. I have pretty jewelry, but I hate wearing it; it gets in the way of everything.

New Threads

Top Bottom