• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do the Aspie Stare?

Also, what do you mean by the "Asperger's Stare"?

(I don't like the word Aspie, it sounds like a slur to me. :S Like the word Neurotypical sounds like a slur to me. >_<; )

Aspergers Stare is a blank facial expression. Most (if not all) people with Aspergers seem to not smile in photos unless it is forced.

I don't see the words Aspie or Neurotypical as a slur.

I used to see Asperger's as an insult to me personally, probably because of my own diagnosis of classic autism (I only learnt to speak at a rather advanced age of X, in which X>1). And an Asperger's friend I had in Singapore used to give me a false impression of Asperger's being 'superior to all forms of autism' that he thinks everything autistics can think to do is possible. (Which, fortunately, was not the case in me)

But now, I do the Aspie stare like any other good ol' Aspie. Because I accept the term...

I didn't used to smile in pictures but I tried and get used to it.
I love doing silly faces though :arghh:
Ohh, here's a tip for those who hate smiling for pictures:
if people will ask you to smile, just tell them that you want the photo to look like a stolen shot!:shocked:

Out of topic: I love the emoticons here.. I wanna use them all! :twitcy:

Aspergers Stare is a blank facial expression. Most (if not all) people with Aspergers seem to not smile in photos unless it is forced.

I don't see the words Aspie or Neurotypical as a slur.

Hm... I would smile more in pictures, but I really have dental work issues. :S Meaning, I need braces. :cry:

If it counts, I have a clueless expression. XD! It can be seen in real life and some photos. ;) I don't care to share my photos yet.

I don't think I have the aspie stare. Although on WP some guy said I have piercing eyes that remind him of an owl he saw once.
My face isn't usually blank, in fact I'm smirking most of the time because I'm daydreaming about something funny or whatever.

I do the aspie stare,
I also fail at smiling in photographs. Heres a good example.
5896_124514621438_658706438_2480175_2258980_n.jpg

Even Daniel Tammet also has the Aspie Stare!

daniel-tammet.jpg

And he is my idol for really mastering a gazillion languages, :mask:

Not exactly. I rarely make eye-contact and usually give people the impression that I am completely disinterested in them.

No I usually smile in pictures taken by someone else. When I take pictures of myself though I usually take nearly a hundred trying to get something I like.

Aye, I have that stare. When someones ready to take a photo nowadays I sometimes just end up pulling a funny face. Been told that on my student ID card and my past passport photos I look like a convict because of my stern look :twitcy:

I've noticed how much I look the same in every photo that I'm in, so I am trying to make different poses/hand gestures and facial expressions. I can smile but not the "show-teeth" type of smile as it just looks goofy when I try it. I might post some recent photos of me doing different poses and stuff later.

I've noticed how much I look the same in every photo that I'm in, so I am trying to make different poses/hand gestures and facial expressions. I can smile but not the "show-teeth" type of smile as it just looks goofy when I try it. I might post some recent photos of me doing different poses and stuff later.

Haha I know the feeling. I remember back in sixth form someone was taking pictures with their cam phone and laughed at how I still had the same literal expression at different times. Does come in handy though; I remember when playing poker, someone who doesn't know me too well remarked at how good my poker face was :lol2:.

Been told that on my student ID card and my past passport photos I look like a convict because of my stern look :twitcy:

I totally looked like a convict on my first driver's license. It was funny. But that was partially because I had been dealing with the bureaucracy associated with getting the license and I was cranky.

I try to smile for pictures. But my fake smile often looks strange. So really good pictures of me are generally not planned.

New Threads

Top Bottom