• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Believe In God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turtles all the way down.

Whether you are a Believer or not we can all enjoy this story. (The text below is from Wikipedia.)

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's tortoises all the way down!"

I think that there is too much evidence against the existence of the Biblical God. I do not like it because of how they classify women and gay people (a few to name off the top of my head). I tend to agree with you, I think Asperger's allows us to see through the inconsistencies and weight the reality of it. I find it frustrating that religion labels evolution as not a fact, when it most certainly is. Pretty much all of it gets me spun up.

I fully agree evolution is a fact. Another way to say this is the theory of evolution by natural selection is a description of the process by which evolution occurred. When people say evolution is "a theory" and not fact they misunderstand the scientific definition of theory. Scientists also talk about the theory of gravitational forces but no religion I know of disputes the existence of gravity.

Having said this it is also true that many atheists have a fundamental misunderstanding of religion and spirituality. I believe all religions are myth. At the same time I embrace and practice Christianity. It comes down to how we account for the world. The Greek words logos and mythos describe a scientific and empirical approach vs. an intuitive approach to accounting for the world. Mythos is not fantasy. The Greeks embraced both mythos and logos as two complimentary paths to truth.

I read the Bible with the full realization it was written within the primitive, paternalistic culture of the period from 2000 BCE. to 100 CE. It is not really very hard to reject the outmoded prejudices toward gay and women and still accept the literary beauty and spiritual power within the Bible. I find it sad that so many Christian sects do not see this as obvious. My Christian denomination, as well as many others, has no problem at all separating the wheat from the chaff and rejecting outright the paternalistic errors in the Bible. The idea that there was an actual Adam and Eve, a Noah and a flood is patently absurd. But these allegorical stories contain truths from our ancestral memory.

There is much similarity among religions. They all tend to believe that the important things in life are not "things" but values. There is a recognition that self centered and hedonistic values are inherently destructive to the integrity of a human being. We find integrity through a recognition that a life of virtue, self examination, remorse for bad actions, and restitution to others for harm we have caused lead to a more satisfying life. Spirituality believes these are intuitive truths.

Religion without spirituality is an empty shell. The specific "story" of any religion represents the mythos and the means toward discovering the intuitive truths of how to view life and our fellow human beings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator Note:

If you want to discuss god Vs. the universe, please do so via PM.
The title of the thread is "Do you believe in God?", members tell everyone whether they do or not and move on!
Thank you

Gomendosi

I don't believe in any god just because their reasons to exist doesn't convince me, nothing else to explain. I cannot say that there's nothing like a personality with such powers in another kind of universe, but I don't care since I can't know it, so I just say I'm atheist because I'm just not convinced of the reasons of any god for their existence.

I'm not really sure. I was raised in a very religious (Baptist) household, but I could never make myself believe the stuff that they wanted me to believe. It seems highly illogical that the bible could be the actual word of God as they say it is. Also, if, as they say, God loves us so much, why does he make people that (according to him) he hates (gays, transsexuals, etc.). If he loves us so much why would he send to hell people who are doing their best to do as they have been taught that he wants him to do (other religions). This has never made sense to me.

Until recently I thought that all intelligent people just pretended to believe to appease the more gullible members of their family. My world was rocked when I found out that I was the only member of my family who was pretending.

I believe in God and I am a Christian. But to each it's own, I don't care :) I am very open minded and wish everyone could just be as they are.

I don't feel like what created the universe has to be sentient or aware of itself, I just think that's projecting our own characteristics onto the universe. Though I could be wrong, if there's a god he probably doesn't give a **** **** industries about us.

I believe in God. Religion? Not so much.

Perhaps the biggest thing so far in my revelation that I have Asperger's Syndrome is to realize that it most likely is entirely physiological in nature. That I'm not apt to carry this burden from one life to the next. That's huge to me. Up until now the thought of reincarnation made me sick.

I once thought of going through past-life regression trying to find those answers as to why I am as I am. No need now. This is good!

As some have stated, I also don't really think of a person's religion when I meet them. I'm a practising Catholic and am not ashamed to say so but I also don't care if you believe... well, whatever you believe. I also don't mind when people openly oppose any belief of mine (example: Richard Dawkins' and his books) since I believe, first, that he is a brilliant mind and has contributed so very much and second, he actually helps my belief by making me delve into my religions' teachings, history and philosophy/theology, etc. (and examine myself and what/how I believe) and it has bolstered my faith.

I am a Christian too, although some of the positions taken by others in my church really disturbs me. I don't understand why they can't be accepting of people of other faiths (or none). I am appalled by the picketing against and ostracizing of the LGBT community and I believe that marriage should be open to any two people who love each other. I try to live by Jesus' greatest commandment to us. His was not a faith of hate, but of love. People have made it into something it was never meant to be.

I think that there is too much evidence against the existence of the Biblical God.

The biblical god isn't the only one that has been thought possible.

I do not like it because of how they classify women and gay people (a few to name off the top of my head).

So, because you don't happen to agree with the manner in which certain people are portrayed and treated within a particular book... God therefore does not exist. Sure, that makes sense (no, not really).

I tend to agree with you, I think Asperger's allows us to see through the inconsistencies and weigh the reality of it.

Then I must not have Asperger's Syndrome, because although I can easily enough find inconsistencies within The Bible, I cannot find any inconsistencies with the notion of G/god itself (assuming we are not equating G/god with such patently silly strawmen like Father Christmas or the Spaghetti Monster).

I find it frustrating that religion labels evolution as not a fact, when it most certainly is. Pretty much all of it gets me spun up.

Systems may evolve, but Darwinism, as an ideological belief-system, is not only not true but patently absurd, offensive, and based upon obvious lies (ex. that people are mere 'machines', or 'apes', 'animals', there is no free will etc.).

Something I felt like passing along (not directed at anyone in particular, just something I felt was relevant to this topic):

Why I'm quitting the online atheism community

So much of Internet discourse is based upon the disagreements we have with one another, and sometimes it feels like sport, about scoring points and relishing your opponent’s missteps. But if we can first find a space where we agree, a bottom-line for the well-being of all people, then the arguments about belief begin to look like petty squabbling over childhood toys. This is not to say that I think people should stop arguing—quite the opposite. Argument helps us suss out the finer points of what we believe to be our rights and needs, and what are simply comforts that we are so used to having that we can’t imagine life with out them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom