• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do we have way more computer power than we need?

Two of my Macs are still using "spinning rust" :) For most stuff there isn't a huge amount of difference in terms of speed, usually if you open something you don't use often it gets a bit laggy compared to MacOS on an SSD. Windows is another story though. It starts ok but after a few weeks everything gets so sloooooooooow.

I think MacOS is just about acceptable running on a hard disk, but I am looking at SSD options for my 27" iMac. I can get 1TB Crucial SSD for about £60, but I think I could maybe get one a little cheaper if I keep on looking.

On the Mac when you launch an app it's icon bounces in the dock until it opens. On my SSD MacBook the icon has launched before the icon returns to the ground. On my other Macs it bounces 2-3 times. But we are talking a few seconds so it's no hardship. But you kinda noticed it after you've been spoilt by an SSD! :)

I can't imagine having to go back to using a mechanical hard drive now. On my legacy computer running Windows XP even it had removable hard drives. But geez...talk about hot, bulky and noisy.

Nope, nope, nope. Give me SSDs....

New Threads

Top Bottom