• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspie Men get bored of people and girlfriends?

@SunnyDay16 and @AO1501 I believe you're not on the same page. Are you both treating 'social skills' as including 'communication skills' or not, and are 'communication skills' part of 'relationship skills' or not? That seems to be a source of some confusion to me.

What a relationship is based on and what factors affect it may be taken as different lists, this seems to have caused some confusion too. Communication enters into any relationship, but need not be a 'strength on which the relationship is based.'

Clearly communication issues are involved, however it's certainly not clear where the fault may be legitimately said to lie. We all begin life with communication issues, we're born without language. We must all learn to communicate with others, usually NTs get to communicate with each other, aspies have to communicate with NTs. She has plainly shown that she has hinted and been displeased with the results and seems to hold him responsible. In a society dominated by people who don't hint her insistence on this might be regarded as childish behaviour. I'm not calling her childish, but I could only reasonably suppose otherwise if she has completely failed to see the big picture and therefore not addressed it, leaving him to do a lot of work that she's unaware of. I believe that AO1501 was making this point, SunnyDay16 was failing to grasp it.

I may be wrong, thought a mediator might have been in order. If not I apologize.

You've all and really good attempts at crossing the communication divide here.

With my wife, these issues still go on after many years.

I can't imagine many people having patience for ten years....

My wife had an epiphany after about 18 years.

Realising she had me all wrong on lots of issues.

I actually was speaking plainly.

The meanings she 'gave to me '. (or guessed for me) weren't actually there.

It's a difficult thing to explain @MrSpock

I also struggle to understand why it is so difficult.

@SunnyDay16 and @AO1501 I believe you're not on the same page. Are you both treating 'social skills' as including 'communication skills' or not, and are 'communication skills' part of 'relationship skills' or not? That seems to be a source of some confusion to me.

What a relationship is based on and what factors affect it may be taken as different lists, this seems to have caused some confusion too. Communication enters into any relationship, but need not be a 'strength on which the relationship is based.'

Clearly communication issues are involved, however it's certainly not clear where the fault may be legitimately said to lie. We all begin life with communication issues, we're born without language. We must all learn to communicate with others, usually NTs get to communicate with each other, aspies have to communicate with NTs. She has plainly shown that she has hinted and been displeased with the results and seems to hold him responsible. In a society dominated by people who don't hint her insistence on this might be regarded as childish behaviour. I'm not calling her childish, but I could only reasonably suppose otherwise if she has completely failed to see the big picture and therefore not addressed it, leaving him to do a lot of work that she's unaware of. I believe that AO1501 was making this point, SunnyDay16 was failing to grasp it.

I may be wrong, thought a mediator might have been in order. If not I apologize.

I'm not saying that he is entirely at fault. I believe I said in an earlier post of mine that she also has to communicate clearly what she needs too.

@MrSpock - Communication skills are, in my view, very separate from social skills. Social skills involve the ability to recognise and mix with others, including unknown/distantly known people, interact with others regardless of how and if they relate to you, be capable of making friends or establishing connections with others, and even the ability to establish relationships. Social skills are about outward facing activities and contact.

Communication skills are exactly that, skills involved in being able to effectively communicate ideas, concepts, methods, strategies, purpose, emotions, procedures, processes....

Personally, I divide them that way because while I am told I am very good at the latter, I am totally hopeless at the former. I can, for example, speak to large groups, including several thousand people, without any problems at all, but give me one stranger, and I am silent, and have nothing at all I am able to say.

Communication skills are part of relationship skills in my terms, but even so, there is not one set of rules that apply to all relationships involving all people. It is whatever is needed in any individual relationship to maintain the equilibrium, defuse issues, and build connectivity. In this respect, @Savvy's BF seems certainly to have been deficient, and I would not have have responded quite as he did in the failure to adequately communicate when adequate communication could possibly have restored a viable relationship, but the characterisation of that behaviour was not to my mind appropriate.

The reason I thought this is because his process seems likely somewhat familiar to me, in that if I have been left with a sense of abandonment, I would respond by disconnecting from the relationship and the individual and basically switching them off to inhibit any further damage. I would not communicate further, and if pressed to, would be as sparse and uninformative as possible - not because I was being passive aggressive, but because I would have zero wish to re-engage or communicate about the relationship or the other person concerned at all. For me it would already be over and done and a thing of the past.

That behaviour seems to me to reflect the not untypical black and white Aspie process. As I say, I wouldn't have responded quite as he did, because I would have been more direct in insisting that in my view the relationship was done, but I realise I would still be open to the same criticism of being unfeeling and hurtful etc., even as that would not be my intent.

Where any sense of childishness might apply, it is in one or other of the parties in this situation believing the issue is entirely with the other, in expecting the other person should be in some way not be who they actually are, and blaming the other for at least some of their own deficiencies.

I wonder if he's not acting that way after two years of attempting to get her to quit hinting, perhaps also to get her to quit using non-verbal communication as well. I know that in the past I have been thought of as refusing to communicate, however this was to a person who was 'interpreting' everything I was saying and refusing to take me at my word. True, after an hour of this I stopped talking. There was no point in talking, as I was unable to get my point across and she would get even more wrong ideas each time I tried to talk. From her point of view I was refusing to talk, from my point of view she was robbing me of the only way I have to communicate reliably and punishing me for talking. What else could she expect?

We're only getting one side of the story. In it she admits to hinting and seems to have been displeased with him as the result of her hinting. There is no way that this has been easy for him.

I wonder if he's not acting that way after two years of attempting to get her to quit hinting, perhaps also to get her to quit using non-verbal communication as well. I know that in the past I have been thought of as refusing to communicate, however this was to a person who was 'interpreting' everything I was saying and refusing to take me at my word. True, after an hour of this I stopped talking. There was no point in talking, as I was unable to get my point across and she would get even more wrong ideas each time I tried to talk. From her point of view I was refusing to talk, from my point of view she was robbing me of the only way I have to communicate reliably and punishing me for talking. What else could she expect?

We're only getting one side of the story. In it she admits to hinting and seems to have been displeased with him as the result of her hinting. There is no way that this has been easy for him.

I think to some extent this is inevitable. I know from 15 years with my NT ex, that she was very prone to listening to what I said, then adding her interpretation, and subsequently flinging her interpretation back at me rather than what I had actually said (and meant). Likewise, she always assumed I had understood her implied meaning, when she rarely said what she truly meant.

As I posted in another thread recently, this experience made the relationship very hard, because there was a constant need to examine all communication for potentially underlying, often obscure, but routinely crucial meaning.

That said, this is simply how many NT partners are, and expecting them to be different is illogical and unproductive. Yet, these same NT partners rarely have a genuine insight to help them understand just how wide the gulf in meaning and understanding sometimes becomes, so it is also quite inevitable that in the unfortunate event that the relationship breaks down, the finger of blame gets pointed at the Aspie because of their deficiencies, rather than in the understanding that communication failures are usually as equally two-way as communication successes.

I was sufficiently stressed by communication issues with my ex that after we broke up, it took 6 years alone to fully recover!

Interesting to read all the differing points and opinions. I am a soul searcher & big believer in taking account for one’s issues & behavior. Hence my being in therapy for ongoing maintenance. My therapist says such a small thing as weighing up whether to stay inside or go outside did not warrant my b/f blowing up at my comment. He said most couples would re-address both options for another brief minute & make a mutual decision. Whilst I’m in therapy to better understand & improve communication on my part for the greater good of our relationship he is not considering or doing anything on his end. He does not look inward just outward. We have only had 3 miscommunications in 2.5 years....
1) when I asked to change a sheet on the bed, he went apoplectic, threw sheet at me & stormed off & slept in his son’s bed.
2) he wanted to go to bed early & when I suggested it was still quite early (9.45pm) he again snapped at me so I went home
3) Him mentioning it was getting chilly & me saying when we got to the restaurant seeing all the people sitting outside that it actually didn’t feel that chilly (?) I.e let’s make the most of these Indian summer nights. The next person would just say honestly I really would rather sit inside if you don’t mind?
These are the only 3 times we have had disagreements with me finding his over reactions to be extremely puzzling. Hence my shock at him ignoring me for 3 weeks & breaking up with me when I sought him out at his home. When he gave his reason as he finds me self centred I almost laughed, if anything it seems he doesn't like it when people don’t fall in with his desires. Now who’s self centred?
Anyway, I feel it had something more to do with the holiday looming, too much stress for him perhaps at the thought of me, his 94 year old mum (we get on well) & his teenage boys who spend most of their waking hours playing computer gamesall being under one roof....

PS This should be considered natural behavior in a give and take relationship without the fear of offending the other person. No one should have to walk on eggshells. Therapist says aside from aspie or not my b/f’s radar is so attuned to incoming missiles from women who are about to let him down or abandon him. He profoundly over reacts to another’s differing opinion. Mum put him in foster care, wife left him as did other 2 significant relationships. He may just be too damaged & wounded...

@Savvy: I suspect that he may well be too damaged and wounded for you. But I also suspect that your therapist is oversimplifying, and rather missing the point - that whatever else other couples may do, this person in your relationship didn't. Likely didn't for a good reason, even if an underlying one.

It's a moot point in any event, how any other couple might resolve a possible dispute, because you and your BF are not any other couple. It might have helped your therapist to ask why your BF acted that way, rather than simply judge on the premise of what is or isn't normal.

That isn't to defend your BF or his behaviour, I'm pretty sure if he was minded to he could do that himself if he was aware you expected it of him. However, to give you one minor insight which applies to some degree to many Aspies - I'll couch this in terms of my experience, but it does extrapoloate.

I hate aircon systems with a passion. People think this is irrational because I'm always complaining about being too cold. What they are not generally aware of is that all day at work, and all evening at home, I am stuck in an almost constant flow of cold air. The room temperature may be relatively high, but wind chill from the air flow means it is uncomfortably cold to me. And when I say 'uncomfortably' it is not just because I prefer that not to be true, but because the flow of cold air on my skin is actually painful - physically painful. So because some person engineered environmental systems that work illogically to me, I have to live, for spring, summer and fall, in almost constant physical pain.

It is a not uncommon Aspie thing, because many of us have very narrow preferences for clothes that suit our skin and body sensitivities for weight and texture and fit, and in my case, for AC air flow too. When looking into this issue, you might generally see it described as an aversion, or dislike of touch, because that is the most common, but by no means single, way it presents itself.

So, it means that whilst nobody else would have reason to know it, I am very sensitive to temperature and air flow, and may appear unreasonably dogmatic when it comes to personal preference for where I am physically located in relation to sources of heat or cold and the movement of air, or wind.

And if my wife told her therapist that last night when she wanted me to sit on the couch with her in the family room at home where it was nice and cool, and instead I wanted to go upstairs where it was unreasonably warm, and was quite blunt about it, her therapist might voice an opinion that I was not being reasonable, and was acting like a spoilt brat, outwardly that might seem a valid judgement, but realistically, it would not be. Which incidentally is why therapists generally would stay out of making such judgements, because they are ignorant of the truth, just familiar with one side of described events.

Actually, my wife knows about this issue, though because she doesn't experience it herself, I can't reasonably expect her to be aware of how deeply it might impact me at any time. But she would not present this as an example of a problem between us to anyone else, because she understands it.

Again, that isn't to say that your BF's behaviour was acceptable, or more accurately, should be accepted, but I know that as reasonable as I think I am, I get very irritated by constant pain from AC systems which are badly designed, work inefficiently, and subject me to a wind chill I seem totally unable to escape for months every year. I think it possible I get quite belligerent at times if I feel I am being led to prolong the problem.

Overall, what you say about 'give and take', and your reaction to things your BF has said to you would tend me to think that there is a significant compatibility issue which both of you need to work on in order to overcome. If you are not both ready to try, it is hard to see how any meaningful relationship could work into the future.

What does seem clear to me is that in the event you wanted to try, you really need to find a form of support that both you and he can participate in equally, rather than rely on your therapist for opinions and judgements, because all he is capable of doing is reinforcing the viewpoint you alone bring to him.

It's a tough position to be in, and I have every sympathy.

Last edited:
It's a tough position to be in, and I have every sympathy.

Speaking generally :

I often find those who grow up within the social realm,when there's a problem,
Go looking for 'back - up'
(It's very different for people who form opinions over their whole lives within social groups to those that do not. Finding their way through often entirely alone.
Friends or whoever to consolidate an existing opinion.
In this case - a therapist,likely friends as well.
Once there is 'consensus' then that opinion can become real.
The asd guy,in this case, has to try and explain to their partner - who is influenced invisibly by all these others.

I would also add - whenever I lose it. (Extreme term for the occasional verbal snap)
It is not the actual event that causes the 'snap'

It could have been 100 different events that day, all adding up to the pressure, as it builds.

If you are generally not understood in a relationship that can really wear you down.
When you 'snap' that is also not understood.

So Imo the reasoning behind your approach to the therapist
,the therapists opinion,
Could all be in the wrong ball park completely.

Imagine this :

You don't understand something.
You ask someone else who doesn't understand for their opinion.
You both agree it's unreasonable.

PS This should be considered natural behavior in a give and take relationship without the fear of offending the other person. No one should have to walk on eggshells. Therapist says aside from aspie or not my b/f’s radar is so attuned to incoming missiles from women who are about to let him down or abandon him. He profoundly over reacts to another’s differing opinion

He's obviously very defensive.
There may be subtle things in what you say
Hidden expectations, that you may not be aware of,that he is attuned to
That sets him off.

He's obviously damaged.
Yet, you entered a relationship.
This meant it would not be a give and take relationship.

It is possibly to get over being defensive all the time
It took me a long time.
You got ten years?

Thank you for your perspective. Funnily enough I myself have an aversion to air con. On this particular evening all he’d said was ‘it’s getting chilly’ not ‘I’m cold’ that’s why later I said ‘you know it’s not that cold’...just shocked at his making sure a nuclear case out of it & using it as his reasoning for me being self centred & breaking up with me. Clearly he is ‘done’ with me as he could have left room for us both to work through our ‘stuff’ but by telling me I’m not welcome on holiday any more etc...it’s over. Helps me think he wasn’t the one because in my opinion that’s small potatoes to break up with someone....

Thanks Fridgemagnetman, my above response was to A10501 but appreciate your ‘take’ I did attempt to talk with him later re: snappiness & thought we had smoothed things over as I agree there were probably various things that occurred during his day to culminate in that.
Oh well, not to sound like a broken record but I’m shocked by the cold way he has frozen me out when we only had a couple of disagreements in 2.5 years..

PS at least you are aware of what causes you to snap & I’m betting you would explain it to your significant other...

PS at least you are aware of what causes you to snap & I’m betting you would explain it to your significant other...

For many years I wasn't aware.
A lot won't do the work imo.
It can be really,really painful.
My method -not recommended- was to destroy myself and start from scratch :)

Explaining to my significant other doesn't (didn't work for a long time) work.
She would make assumptions,not realise it, and create an alertnate reality about what she thought happened.
It's not as easy to understand as people may think.
Least of all to the owner of the condition.

If a white heron stands in the snow does it have a different color?

Not to make you out to be ignorant, because this is a good assumption, but really not at all correct.

Like Fridgemagnetman, I was not at all aware why I snapped. It is another facet of being on the spectrum that overloads take time to build, and are often very sudden and even unexpected to trigger. And for those (like me) who have not known they are on the spectrum, personal behaviours can be as inexplicable from the inside as they appear from the outside. Even once discovering the diagnosis, it can take a long time to adjust and to come to terms with what it means and all of the implications.

And while, as I have grown more aware of my weaknesses I might have been better able to explain them to my significant other, there are two things you might consider: The first is that explaining would require me to constantly focus on my failures, which is damaging to self-confidence and esteem (hence trying to avoid explaining is a more constructive option), and secondly, that my explanation would fall on receptive ears. I have found that rarely to be true, because by the time something has triggered a need to explain, a problem has already happened and barriers are already built.

One other thought, and it is not at all aimed at you, just to many NTs who come here looking for help and support when a relationship with their Aspie has gone wrong: Being on the spectrum is not something any of us can walk away from and discard because it's too much trouble. We have it for life. We live the deficits, hardships, difficulties, social disconnects, rejections, abandonments, the harsh judgements and attitudes, the reminders of failure and failures, every single day. Always. People around us are lightning fast to judge, from a position of relative ignorance, and apply that judgement, despite the ignorance, and often despite what we say.

The relationship with this Aspie may well now be broken beyond repair, but there is a great deal it is possible to learn from it - not a lot of which is how your BF failed you or your needs.

We have it for life. We live the deficits, hardships, difficulties, social disconnects, rejections, abandonments, the harsh judgements and attitudes, the reminders of failure and failures, every single day. Always. People around us are lightning fast to judge, from a position of relative ignorance, and apply that judgement, despite the ignorance, and often despite what we say

I try and take Saturdays off :)

New Threads

Top Bottom