• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

disclosing aspergers

Only if:
1) You have an official diagnosis
2) You have some accommodation that needs to by made.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

I always thought it was best not to and that worked for me.

I agree with wight; if you have accommodation that needs to be taken into account, then perhaps a quiet word word with your immediate boss could be in order.

I always worried it would make me 'vulnerable' and 'exposed' if I told my bosses.

I work for myself now so it's no longer an problem now.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't put it on my CV. Whilst it's nothing to be ashamed of it can put you at a disadvantage, studies have shown you're at a significant disadvantage of not getting the job because people just don't understand it. At least in the UK you're under no legal obligation to tell anyone about it. If you get a question on a piece of paper asking you if you have any disabilities feel free to ignore it, whilst companies are not legally allowed to discriminate against someone with a disability they will still do it because you can't prove that that's the reason for not selecting you. If it is obvious you have some sort of disability when you meet them you can tell them it then and then they'll be less likely to dismiss your application because they've met you personally.

If you're worried about making social mistakes or being unintentionally inappropriate or needing accommodations in the word place, once you get the job feel free to tell them. If they tell you you should have told them, tell them you're not under any legal or moral obligation to disclose it at any point and that you feel it would have put you at a disadvantage during the application selection process, and that should shut them up.

Some employers like the BBC, Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard are actively wanting autistic employees because they recognise the benefits to the workplace that the condition brings but a lot of employers have yet to realise this.

If you do decide to disclose you can write about your condition in your CV and explain why this makes you an ideal employee for their business.

Some useful links are below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-27193964

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/telling-people-you’re-disabled-clear-and-easy-guide-students

I would only let them know if you start getting the sense that it is creating a problem with your employer such as if you get a bad review or if you get called into your bosses office and told you are not meeting their expectations for some reason.

Get in there and give the job your best each day and you will be a star employee!

Should I tell perspective employers about my Asperger's?
In short, no, unless you already know that you will need accommodations to perform the duties of the job.
If, after you get the job, there becomes a problem, then consider disclosing.

In regards to the application/interview process, no. Absolutely not. Here's why: While there are anti-discrimination laws on the books of the civilized nations of the world which "prevent" hiring discrimination targeted at people with disabilities, the problem is that discrimination is impossible to prove at that stage because it would take a Grade A dumbass to actually admit to it. Employers can and probably WILL discriminate against you. The reasons for that boil down to risk management more than anything.

Understand where the manager is sitting in this situation. Once you reach the pay grade within the management system where the millionaire(s) that own the place are trusting you to make decisions with significant financial ramifications (who to add to the payroll, in this instance) - it's a different game at that level than it is for the peon-managers.

To that end, one of the ABC's of Operations Management is the concept of Risk Assessment. In practice, it means identifying sources of potential risk (to company assets and interests), estimating the magnitude of the risk, and then figuring out what to do with it.

In the case of someone who has disclosed that they have a disability before being hired, the risk analysis goes like this: (1) This person would be difficult to fire on a whim (2) If fired, this person could sue the company for discrimination (3) If this person is ever passed over for promotion, they could sue the company for discrimination (4) If this person ever feels slighted by a co-worker or manager for any reason, they could sue the company for discrimination.

See where I'm going with that? Individual rights are the enemy of power structures - but fear not Mr. Hiring Manager, there's thirty other applications that don't carry that kind of risk. Now file that disabled person's application under "T" for "Trash" and make sure to go to Church this Sunday.

In regards to the application/interview process, no. Absolutely not. Here's why: While there are anti-discrimination laws on the books of the civilized nations of the world which "prevent" hiring discrimination targeted at people with disabilities, the problem is that discrimination is impossible to prove at that stage because it would take a Grade A dumbass to actually admit to it. Employers can and probably WILL discriminate against you. The reasons for that boil down to risk management more than anything.

Understand where the manager is sitting in this situation. Once you reach the pay grade within the management system where the millionaire(s) that own the place are trusting you to make decisions with significant financial ramifications (who to add to the payroll, in this instance) - it's a different game at that level than it is for the peon-managers.

To that end, one of the ABC's of Operations Management is the concept of Risk Assessment. In practice, it means identifying sources of potential risk (to company assets and interests), estimating the magnitude of the risk, and then figuring out what to do with it.

In the case of someone who has disclosed that they have a disability before being hired, the risk analysis goes like this: (1) This person would be difficult to fire on a whim (2) If fired, this person could sue the company for discrimination (3) If this person is ever passed over for promotion, they could sue the company for discrimination (4) If this person ever feels slighted by a co-worker or manager for any reason, they could sue the company for discrimination.

See where I'm going with that? Individual rights are the enemy of power structures - but fear not Mr. Hiring Manager, there's thirty other applications that don't carry that kind of risk. Now file that disabled person's application under "T" for "Trash" and make sure to go to Church this Sunday.
I fear you are right. I have never disclosed to employers before, but as soon as they even suspect there was something " wrong" with me I was let go. I did manage to hold a job down for a few years, but this was because I; A. avoided any contact with the boss. B. the other people I worked with were all a bit off, so strange behavior was less noticeable. Eventually I started feeling that the jig was up, largely because I came to the attention of one of the company snitch's who was reporting me to the office. I suddenly started to get bad reviews, accusations of having a bad attitude, and not being a team player.
I quit before they could fire me.

Always best to maintain a "need-to-know" basis only.

It's up to you to truly determine if they need to know, and how it might benefit you, versus better odds that it may negatively impact your employment. Particularly if you reside in the US as opposed to other places which may legally handle such a scenario in a somewhat better light for autistic people.

I fear you are right. I have never disclosed to employers before, but as soon as they even suspect there was something " wrong" with me I was let go. I did manage to hold a job down for a few years, but this was because I; A. avoided any contact with the boss. B. the other people I worked with were all a bit off, so strange behavior was less noticeable. Eventually I started feeling that the jig was up, largely because I came to the attention of one of the company snitch's who was reporting me to the office. I suddenly started to get bad reviews, accusations of having a bad attitude, and not being a team player.
I quit before they could fire me.
In my previous job, a co-worker started to give me a problem, and I got a less-than-perfect review over it. I decided to divulge my diagnosis, looking for a little support out of management. I got no encouragement, but all my reviews after that turned into "No deficiencies noted." Damning with faint praise? Perhaps, but it was better than a negative, and I kept my job until I could quit on my own terms.

On job applications, or in a job interview? Hell no! The most I've gone is saying "I have a disability" on the application forms...they are not allowed to ask you to specify; I think it's for the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, and it's merely for demographics info on who is working in your company. So far it has never hurt me, as far as I can tell. Let them judge you for WHO YOU ARE, in your qualifications, what you are good at, and not for some label.

I disclosed my AS to the coworkers nearby me as I am petrified that I might offend someone and get fired. It may have been a mistake, as one woman now treats me as though I am mentally challenged. If you believe that you might benefit from them knowing then I'd say go for it, but be prepared for the possibility of negative consequences.

I have found that "most people" will not or can not understand if you tell them. Some the things that they think are really strange, everything from "you must be a genius" to "you are dangerous and should be institutionalized". I do not tell anybody.

It's a dilemma we all face. While we may desperately seek compassion and understanding, more often than not such a disclosure will just solicit the scorn and/or misunderstanding of others.

Proceed with caution, whatever you decide.

I always do, hence I'm still working in Charity shops for a "living", the NT work force don't understand and are possibly even scared of disabled people of any sort, especially those of us with mental disabilities, they think we're all Hannibal Lecter, yeah sorry it's not a joking matter.

Under various Legislation there can be no outright discrimination against you, legally they can't turn round and say we aren't employing you because you have a disability, there are exceptions to that rule such as the Armed Forces, and I've applied 3 times since 2009 to the local Special Constabulary and not got in, I spoke to one of their senior guys last time I went to the presentation and he said it would be a waste of time applying because I'm classed as 80% disabled, but I thought sod it I'll go for it anyway.

As far as the legislation goes though, I've been saying for years that in the UK it has no teeth, because the government don't enforce it, same with the 2010 Equality Act IMO.

Anyway to cut a long rant short, my point is that unless they specifically ask, such as on the application form or during the interview stage if you get to that bit, I personally wouldn't mention it, in my experience it could harm your chance of getting the job.

it is a sad world indeed when one has to hide who they are just to make a living like everybody else, and when one cannot find a job and are forced to go on welfare people complain that you are a freeloader, or are just lazy.

it is a sad world indeed when one has to hide who they are just to make a living like everybody else, and when one cannot find a job and are forced to go on welfare people complain that you are a freeloader, or are just lazy.

Exactly. most of the reason I'm banned for life from Sheffield Forum is arguing with Daily Fail readers who kept flaming me for not working 80 hours a week on minimum wage, up to about 3 weeks ago though I did work 8 hours a week for free in 2 different local Charity shops, I had to give up the second job due to lack of stuff to do so they kept sending me Home early.

I do have an interview on Wednesday morning at the British Heart Foundation Charity shop though, I don't wish to sound over confident but with my years of experience working for various local Charities, I'd say it's in the Bag.

Exactly. The majority (i.e. those who are fortunate enough to be able to easily adapt to the requirements of the modern-day workplace) need to wake up to themselves and realise that the vast, overwhelming majority of people who are on welfare are actually NOT "dole-bludgers", but people who simply cannot cope with the unnatural environment and/or unreasonable expectations of a system that is fundamentally unsound, illogical, and unjust. I am well and truly fed up with job advertisers insisting they will only hire people who are gregarious, outgoing, extroverted, have excellent communications skills, et cetera, ad infinitum, even though in the majority of cases none of these so-called qualities are actually needed for the job advertised. It's discrimination, pure and simple, and yet they are allowed to get away with it. It's disgusting.

...working 80 hours a week on minimum wage...

People who subject themselves to such treatment are being exploited whether they realise it or not, and I personally would rather starve than subject myself to this. It's the modern-day version of slavery, nothing less.

New Threads

Top Bottom