• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosing other people

Watching a lot of YouTube or videos in general this includes TikTok is not a good way to diagnose anyone or honestly learn much about anything. At the end of the day, the people expressing themselves on their are all going off of opinions and a bit of research sure. It is best not to tell anyone you are one thing or another until you get a real diagnosis from a trained professional. Unless you are studying to be a therapist or psychologist then I would not be excited over a self diagnosis… I would rather have someone who’s gone to school for this topic and graduated knowing this sort of thing versus someone who’s done research and watched videos online…
I’m not a customer of the psychological arts, so I only know what I hear/see from those that are. A psychologist’s diagnosis is often wrong, and I hear of people being switched from one diagnosis to another. Best not to place too much faith in an art that identifies as a science.

That said, it would be nice to have a professional’s opinion. However, only two people are extant who would remember my childhood, and one of those is held by the other as a classic narcissist, though I suspect he is autistic; not a reference. Then there’s money. I pay for my own care, so I would need some return on the investment. Being retired, I don’t see any significant impact that a professional diagnosis could offer.

The real kicker is that, last I read about it, licensed professionals don’t want to get involved diagnosing old people because, after a while, the autistic mind creates workarounds that make diagnosis difficult at best.

I understand your preference for the professional diagnosis, but the expense and process render it unreasonable for many. I remember what I was told early on; if a rational and informed person thinks they have autism, then they probably do have.

A psychologist’s diagnosis is often wrong, and I hear of people being switched from one diagnosis to another.
Yes, been there, done that.

Being retired, I don’t see any significant impact that a professional diagnosis could offer.
I'd argue that once you finish education it's not useful either. Unless you want to work in a sheltered workshop. You might or might not be given accomodations regardless of a diagnosis or lack thereof. If a firm will allow, e.g. remote work, they will do so for everyone. If they don't allow it, they won't make exceptions. You have to choose work that suits you.

Yes, been there, done that.

I'd argue that once you finish education it's not useful either. Unless you want to work in a sheltered workshop. You might or might not be given accomodations regardless of a diagnosis or lack thereof. If a firm will allow, e.g. remote work, they will do so for everyone. If they don't allow it, they won't make exceptions. You have to choose work that suits you.
Yes, I understand about that sort of benefit. And, sure, a younger ND may get a real boost from aid programs of various sorts. I’ve never been involved with the government in that way but it sounds like some countries (Australia, for instance) have truly helpful programs.

Earlier, I was just making the point that, if you’re not in line for that type of thing, a professional diagnosis has little value beyond the self-diagnoser’s confident knowledge.

This isn't something I really do much, but funnily enough my NT mom, since helping me with my assessment, likes pointing out to me anyone she thinks may also be ASD according to what she's learned. Perhaps she's trying to find a little posse of autie mates for me. I just see it as silly and funny and well-intentioned, but after reading this thread I might pull her for a chat and make sure she's not taking it further than our private converstions.

New Threads

Top Bottom