• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Details or big picture?

That's really interesting how you can score ISTJ sometimes, and INFJ at other times. Their function stacks are complete opposites of each other.

MBTIfunctions.png

My middle letters usually score 45%-65%, so I'm about equal in those departments. I think they depend on my mood more than anything. Some days I trust my gut, some days I trust my head. I'm always 70%-100% Introverted and 70%-90% on Judging too. So I say that must mean that I'm a hermit! I keep to myself and brood a lot regardless of how my head or heart feels about it. :D

I'm stealing that chart.

I am either lost in details or looking at a picture that is much bigger than I have any influence over. So, either microscope or telescope. Lots of interesting things to think about and talk about in those realms, though.

INTP

I am either lost in details or looking at a picture that is much bigger than I have any influence over. So, either microscope or telescope. Lots of interesting things to think about and talk about in those realms, though.

INTP

Interesting...another INTP who can do both details and big picture (albeit to the extreme in either case).

Maybe you can learn how to zoom in and out? I picture my perspective being kinda like a Google map with a zoom bar...zoom in or zoom out to get more or less detailed. This has proved very useful in my work where I'm creating very complex projects.

Interesting...another INTP who can do both details and big picture (albeit to the extreme in either case).

Maybe you can learn how to zoom in and out? I picture my perspective being kinda like a Google map with a zoom bar...zoom in or zoom out to get more or less detailed. This has proved very useful in my work where I'm creating very complex projects.

I can zoom in and out, but the nature of most of my projects involve a huge amount of in-between-steps, and that is where my attention starts to waver, or I get stuck on one way to do something and miss something that could save time/money/headache.

I can zoom in and out, but the nature of most of my projects involve a huge amount of in-between-steps, and that is where my attention starts to waver,

Yeah, my projects do, too. Sometimes I have to "steady" the image, so to speak...zoom in and out until I get the right perspective on it and hold that place in my mind until it steadies. Or sometimes I'll find that I was using the wrong "focus", and have to go back over and do something from the right amount of zoom, lol.

...or I get stuck on one way to do something and miss something that could save time/money/headache.

I tend to make processes more complicated than they have to be, then I find later there was a much simpler way of doing it that didn't track so much information unnecessarily. Do you have the independence in your job to develop your own processes, or are you following someone else's directions?

Yeah, my projects do, too. Sometimes I have to "steady" the image, so to speak...zoom in and out until I get the right perspective on it and hold that place in my mind until it steadies. Or sometimes I'll find that I was using the wrong "focus", and have to go back over and do something from the right amount of zoom, lol.

I tend to make processes more complicated than they have to be, then I find later there was a much simpler way of doing it that didn't track so much information unnecessarily. Do you have the independence in your job to develop your own processes, or are you following someone else's directions?

I am largely self directed, and sometimes given way to much slack. Of course, I would never ask for or create my own boundaries and deadlines. I'll take all the slack I can get.

Like Ashe Skyler and Dogwood Tree, I am good at both the big picture and details. I find that I can look at complex interactions and see order and logic when everyone else sees static and white noise. Things just make sense to me.

One would think that would be an advantage. Unfortunately that gift has its pitfalls also. If you add in my ineptitude with social interactions, being three steps ahead of everyone else actually turns out to cause problems.

I am surprised that they do not have my photo next to the listing of INTJ characteristics; I seem to possess almost all of them.

INTJ - every time I've done a test.

Mostly have had a good appreciation of the 'bigger picture', but happier doing the actual detail work in a project.

My understanding is that most aspies look at the trees and build up to the forest while most NTs start with the forest and then go for the trees.
I am certainly a details person.
In DISC, I'm a classic C.
myers briggs: istj
Gallup Strengthsfinder: deliberative, harmony, consistency, learner, analytical.

Thanks for including the detail of the link to the DISC.;)
The answer format is great.:)
So clear, once you click, what your choices are.:)

Free Strengths Test. Find Your Talents and Potential. - Free Strengths Test - Find Your Talents and Potential
Wish I could say the same for this free version of Gallup Strengthsfinder

I tend to focus on the smaller details rather than the whole picture, but I believe that is for two reasons. Firstly it is very hard for me to summarize things, I will always end up over explaining. Secondly is how I can only seem to process one thing at a time. Because I can't remember everything I like to have the big picture, I prefer to see the big picture because I get too stressed hung up on all the little details, but I can't seem to figure it out myself so I have to have someone else summarize for me.

Entirely entranced by the captivating, compelling details! I'm rather big-picture-impaired. This refers to in life, also. Zen sitting meditation helps me (temporarily) broaden my perspective on things in my life overall, a bit.

Entirely entranced by the captivating, compelling details! I'm rather big-picture-impaired. This refers to in life, also. Zen sitting meditation helps me (temporarily) broaden my perspective on things in my life overall, a bit.

Do you know your MBTI type? Curious...

If I'm left to myself its details first.
But in an organization I do think I see and need the big picture - I need it to understand the purpose of the details. And I will be annoyed if what others are doing doesn't seem to fit towards the overall goal.
If a change in the organization is announced, or a new project launched, I'm likely to be (if I forget to shut my mouth) the once asking the annoying questions about the practical details. Us details folks expect some practical details to be worked out before announcing, not announcing with big fanfares and then blundering through the practicalities later.

So are you saying that you think certain personality types are necessarily AS? As in, all ISTJs and INTPs and INTJs are aspies? Trying to clarify...

This is a fascinating question! Are all Aspergers introverts (because of the sensory overload?) or can some be extraverts? I read that US actor Robin Williams was Asperger's and yet he strikes me as having been an extravert.

Re. Tony Attwood's distinction between internalisers (those Aspergers who apologise and appease) and externalisers (those Aspergers who blame and attack others): are all internalisers introverts and all externalisers extraverts? I imagine there aren't any clear-cut distinctions e.g., an externaliser who gets aggressive and blames others could easily be an introvert.

Are all NTs transmitters (imposing their interpretations on things) and all Aspergers receivers (waiting for the data to form a pattern before they interpret it)? This echoes zurb's point that most Aspergers look at the trees and build up to the forest while most NTs start with the forest and then go for the trees. But wouldn't the internaliser-externaliser distinction confound this? - that is, internalising Aspergers are receivers while externalising Aspergers are transmitters?

I'm INTJ.
I see the big picture first then the details.
Example: My last test for my class. I looked at the study guide to see what we needed to know as a whole, then I got all my information together from different sources that I would need to study.

Any problem, I see what outcome I want then get detailed on what I can do in order to get the outcome.

You may want to explore this thread. I'm one of the extrovert aspies :)

The Extrovert Aspie | AspiesCentral.com

Thanks for the pointer Harrison. It's good to have that confirmation.

Do you think that one can get on stage and enjoying singing and performing and yet still have a low threshold of neo-cortical arousal? (which is what introverts are said to have - they need very little social stimulation to be cognitively aroused whereas extraverts need a lot of social stimulation to put them at optimal levels of cognitive arousal).

New Threads

Top Bottom