• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Details or big picture?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Do you tend to focus more on the details of a situation, or the big picture?

Some personality types seem to be drawn more towards one or the other, so...wondering if aspies tend to have a preference, too, and how that might be affected by our individual personality types.

If you know your MBTI type, could you post that along with your answer to the above question?

#curious

My understanding is that most aspies look at the trees and build up to the forest while most NTs start with the forest and then go for the trees.
I am certainly a details person.
In DISC, I'm a classic C.
myers briggs: istj
Gallup Strengthsfinder: deliberative, harmony, consistency, learner, analytical.

Last edited:
Details are important to me, though I can be nudged to see the big picture if someone doesn't tic me off in how they convey it.

I score istj.

Details aspie here, which I found out just the other day; confess that I did not really understand what it meant, but the best authority to tell me bluntly is my husband and he was happy to "dig it in that yes, you refuse to see the bigger picture" which is why we always argue!

It is why I fail when it comes to quick fire questions; complicate things too much.

istj

Suzanne I'm glad you said that, about the quick-fire questions, that clarifies for the most part why I get anxiety in certain situations.

I grasp overviews very easily. On one forum I was the one to give newcomers the overview of our game because I could truncate easily without getting lost in the details. And then of course get way too detailed when they asked questions. Most people think I get stuck on details, but it's because sometimes their execution of a plan doesn't seem to align with the overall goal.

Usually ISTJ, sometimes INFJ.

Usually ISTJ, sometimes INFJ.

That's really interesting how you can score ISTJ sometimes, and INFJ at other times. Their function stacks are complete opposites of each other.

MBTIfunctions.png

Last edited:
My understanding is that most aspies look at the trees and build up to the forest while most NTs start with the forest and then go for the trees.

I had also read that aspies tend to focus on details (as do some personality types significantly represented in the NT population...such as ISTJ...so aspies don't really have a monopoly on details, lol). One personality type commonly represented in the aspie population, though, is INTP, and INTPs in general are highly focused on big picture thinking.

One of my former employers commented during an employee review that I'm really good at getting both the big picture and the details of a situation. So now I'm wondering...if this is one area where the aspieness and the INTPness each contribute a part to give me an unusual combination of abilities.

I'm really intrigued about how AS can affect one's expression of a particular personality type...this is one area where it seems that it might have a significant effect for some people (aspie INTPs, for example).

I had also read that aspies tend to focus on details (as do some personality types significantly represented in the NT population...such as ISTJ...so aspies don't really have a monopoly on details, lol)...

I'm really intrigued about how AS can affect one's expression of a particular personality type...this is one area where it seems that it might have a significant effect for some people (aspie INTPs, for example).

I'm not sure I buy into the notion that AS and the I-E measurements are different, so I don't see how they "contribute" to each other....identity property, no? a = a.

I'm not sure I buy into the notion that AS and the I-E measurements are different, so I don't see how they "contribute" to each other....identity property, no? a = a.

So are you saying that you think certain personality types are necessarily AS? As in, all ISTJs and INTPs and INTJs are aspies? Trying to clarify...

When I took that test, it shocked me with the "thinking" part, because I OVER THINK, but am I being too literal here?

Big picture, I think.
I struggle to remember lots of little details, but being able to understand a concept in general helps me to understand and remember the smaller details.
I don't what my personality type is.

When I took that test, it shocked me with the "thinking" part, because I OVER THINK, but am I being too literal here?

What was your type?

(ETA: read back through and saw you're an istj)

The T vs. F is not about whether you think about things. It's a distinction in how you make decisions. T people make decisions based on logic, no matter how it feels. F people make decisions more based on the way something feels...their emotions play a much larger role in the decision-making process.

I can describe T pretty well, since that's my type. Honestly I struggle to understand the process F types use. But there's definitely a different flavor to the things F and T types say when pondering a situation (my mom is an F type, and so is my DH).

I tend to be more into details than the big picture. But I suppose I have no issues in building up a big picture myself; it's when there's already something lined out, where it goes over my head. Guess, that's one of the good things one can have if you like to write, draw, record or any other creative things.

As for my personality thingmajig

INTP was the last I did... with a strong, 85+ percent on N and T and a very weak... less than 10% I and P value. I reguarly score INTJ and ENTJ as well. ENTP would be a first though...

ISTJ - Introvert(100%) Sensing(12%) Thinking(50%) Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

I'm ISTJ and I believe myself to be very detail-orientated - I often get accused of nit-picking or being pedantic because getting the details right is important to me. I tend pick out one detail and home in on it in discussions with other people. If I'm learning something knew, I need to know all the details first before I can understand it fully, or get the big picture, a bit like needing to fit the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together in order to see the final picture.

New Threads

Top Bottom