• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Delusional Disorder

Oz67

Most scholar articles point out that Delusional Disorder is very rare, but I don't think that it's necessarily true, and I don't think that it's a disorder on its own, because there are many disorders that cause delusions.

Delusional thinking is commonly accompanied by many disorders; schizophrenia and bipolar disorder immediately come to mind. I have severe major depression and became very delusional sometimes. So, delusional thinking is definitely not rare. But maybe having delusional thinking isolated and apart from other mental disorders may be very rare. Maybe that’s what the authors of these articles are trying to say. I really can’t say for sure.

Delusional thinking is commonly accompanied by many disorders; schizophrenia and bipolar disorder immediately come to mind. I have severe major depression and became very delusional sometimes. So, delusional thinking is definitely not rare. But maybe having delusional thinking isolated and apart from other mental disorders may be very rare. Maybe that’s what the authors of these articles are trying to say. I really can’t say for sure.

I think there should be an upgrade in DSM and ICD, so, instead of just Delusional Disorder, there should be an additional diagnosis. For example, Delusional Disorder caused be Dementia, and/ or Delusional Disorder caused by poor theory of mind, part of or related to Communication Disorders / or Autism Spectrum Disorder, but that if it can only be explained by other mental health, neurodevelopmental and neurogenic disorders.

Although I used to have hallucinations, it was mostly related to delusions I had, and related to Autism Spectrum Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, stress, and anxious mood, can I still say that I am part of the Schizophrenia Spectrum? I have one thing in common with Schizophrenia and it was mild hallucinations and delusions, but I did not have any other psychotic symptoms and my functioning was not markedly impaired.

functioning was not markedly impaired

This is the most interesting diagnostic criteria for me. My interpretation is that with nearly all disorders in the DSM V, if it does not markedly impair your function, there is no diagnosable disorder.

I think delusions are a fascinating and terrifying adaptation for when the brain has simply been pushed too far. There are so many ways that a mind can get to this breaking point.

When I'm alone for too long (months with little/no contact) I get a little delusional. IMO any smart autistic loner (at least the guys) can turn into one of those grey-haired conspiracy loons if we're not careful, so if we can we need to find strong connections to manage it.

Last edited:
How do you define delusional thinking?

How do you define delusional thinking?

Delusion - A fixed false belief not based on light of conflicted evidence and based what most everyone else believe, and cannot be understood by social and subcultures.

Some people with delusions can have insight that others think that their beliefs are irrational, but cannot accept that themselves. Some people with delusions can still be aware that there is something wrong with them.

Hallucination - unusual phenomena of a sensory organon in any areas of the lobe that causes odd and eccentric perceptions that is not actually there. Some people with hallucinations can be aware that their hallucinations is not real.

Delusions and hallucinations causes los contact from reality.

I would define delusional thinking as believing that something false is true - something irrational. That has been my experience. Why it happens, I don’t know. Probably because the brain is extremely stressed out. I have heard it happen to people without mental illness, such as being dehydrated or under extreme heat.

Delusion - A fixed false belief not based on light of conflicted evidence and based what most everyone else believe, and cannot be understood by social and subcultures.

Some people with delusions can have insight that others think that their beliefs are irrational, but cannot accept that themselves. Some people with delusions can still be aware that there is something wrong with them.

Hallucination - unusual phenomena of a sensory organon in any areas of the lobe that causes odd and eccentric perceptions that is not actually there. Some people with hallucinations can be aware that their hallucinations is not real.

I posted late, but the above sounds like a good textbook answer.

That's a broad enough definition to include a majority of people. One man's fixed false belief is another's religious faith. One man's delusions are another's ideology.

Why do some people call Delusional Disorder a "Delusional Personality Disorder"? I hope that they understand that there is a difference between delusions and personalities.

New Threads

Top Bottom