• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Defective Sense Of Humor

Riley

Mom likes to say I have no sense of humor. I laugh easily, but not THAT easily. In fact, it takes a lot to make me even smile at a joke. Does anyone else have this problem?

It doesn't just apply to jokes. I tend to hate the humor and overall attitude of certain YouTubers. For Example: While I LOVE Matthew Santoro and his spastic humor, I cannot, for the life of me, tolerate guys such as PeanutButterGamer or SpaceHamster. While I rabid adore Caddicarus, DanTDM and Yamimash annoy the **** outta me.

i have no understanding of other peoples humour and do not understand jokes/the concept of jokes but i find my own humour in absolutely anything whether its a thought in my head or a weird stone on the floor or someone falling over or someone walking in dog poo and slipping on it.
simple and toilet humour is more my thing,i have a very rude sense of humour,and i regulary hear from support staff 'youve crossed the line em' which makes me laugh even more as i think of a line being crossed and wonder what the frigg has that got to do with me?,i also now echolalically repeat 'youve crossed the line em' often.

Hmmm. It all seems so highly subjective.

I mean, at the moment it's snowing with high winds. I don't find that funny at all. :rolleyes:

Do you think that maybe she just meant that you didn't laugh specifically at something she thought you should have found funny - perhaps something at your expense?

mine purely cultural so apart from that just blank or avoid
we will never naturally react the way others do find it innacurate to say neurotypical as their are other medical differences that are not the twee expression able bodied /not disabled -
cant stand being pigeonholed

Q: What is a bigger problem in the world today: Apathy or Ignorance?
A: I dont know and I dont care.

I'm similar. Modern United States is a lowbrow humor-obsessed culture, but there are only so many things that make me laugh. I *do* appreciate a good joke, but it needs to be good. So much of American humor is shallow, stupid put-downs, and just nonsense. There was very little humor in Biblical times culture, but today's "Bible based" Christians seem to forget that. Humor seems to be a pretty modern thing, and the kind of humor we have now usually just doesn't work for me.

I also have a tendency to take sarcasm literally unless it's just plain obvious. So I'm sure there's a 'deficit' at work as well. It's not unusual for us Aspies to have that particular kind of humor 'deficit.' I definitely have it.

New Threads

Top Bottom