• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

cutting ties with a family member, how please?

Aura Todd

I hope this is the right forum, if not please move to the correct one. Thanks.

I hope you didn’t mind me posting this but I would like some advice as what direction to go in please? I’m sorry this is a bit long winded but I would like to know what the best option is please?

I’m going to call my cousin X (for obvious reasons)

Cousin X lives up north has a sister who has adopted my son, he was taken away from me because of my learning difficulty. I see my son at Christmas and during the summer holidays when I come up to visit my aunt who is the mother of both my cousins.

Cousin X (her son) is the one I am having problems with. He says nasty comments to me which is under the belt sometimes, and also mutters sarcastic comments under his breath thinking I cant hear (when I do, if he knows he doesn’t care anyway). He’s a loner and hasn’t many friends, the one best friend who did stand by him, (and who defended him at school when everyone else was bullying him) he drove away through his immature behaviour and won’t have anything to do with him any more. My cousin done some bad things to him in the past like ruin his 18th birthday party by mixing drinks then being sick in front of all the guests’.

Also My cousins sister’s husband doesn’t like cousin X which he can’t understand because he’s says he’s never done anything to harm him, I could give him a List! Lets start off with ‘mouth into action before brain in gear etc...

Her husband doesn’t like him in their house, and won’t talk to him when he is around. Once he said cousin X couldn’t come into the house one afternoon when my aunt had to pick up a book, so she said she wouldn’t come in either which didn’t help the situation.

I have Aspergers and sometimes it’s hard to deal with cousin X when he starts making ‘pocks’ as I call them. I’ve always ignored him but it’s now getting to the point where as he’s getting older (50yrs) it’s getting worse. I was in a violent relationship (with my sons father) which didn’t help and having to listen to my cousin X’s jibes didn’t help. I’ve never had one bit of encouragement from him. His sister doesn’t help, she defends him to the hilt and that is possibly putting a strain on her marriage, to be honest (being brother and sister) their both very negative. My Uncle (their dad) was the same but not to the level cousin X has taken it.

He’s in a long distance relationship, she’s a really nice lady but doesn’t really know what it’s like to be with him full time. Every woman he’s been with in the past has dumped him after a time because he likes to control people and is too bossy for his own good. They keep saying they want to live together which isn’t really going to work for two reasons. She works over there and the state the UK is in at the moment it isn’t the best idea; also he would probably drive here away with his possessiveness anyway.

The last straw was last week when I visited my son during the school holidays. My aunt was getting tea ready and cousin X said to me, that there was a film right up my street called dumber and dumber. My dad didn’t hear because he’s deaf, so I said there is one called thicker and thicker suited to him. I probably shouldn’t have retaliated and just ignored him but he got very moody with me and sarky and started shouting at me in front of everyone even through I was only two foot away! My aunt later said he has a temper, and I said yes but he doesn’t know how to control it does he.

He also seems to get jealous of other people which I ignore, and is very racist referring to Indian people as Packie’s, don’t even mention gays (he hates them too).

I think it’s time I cut ties with cousin X, but I feel trapped in a way because his sister has my son who is 14yrs and I don’t want to lose contact with him. I have been told he is not my child any more and only his biological mum (makes me sound like a washing powder).

No good me writing him a letter as cousin X doesn’t take a blind bit of notice of anyone, his silly sister is the only one who will stand by him.

What’s the best way to cut the ties?

That's an unfortunate set of difficulties complicated by the fact of the custody situation. You might consider getting legal advice.

I think the important thing here isn't so much how to cut ties with cousin x (is there a reason you just stop contacting him and avoid him when the family meets up?), but how to keep on his sister good side whilst doing so, I would advise talking to her about the situation first. I also agree with Kestral on getting legal advice regarding custody, I'm not sure they have any legal right to deny you access to your child, is he formally adopted?

I personally think the tactic you should try first is what you did the last time you saw this cousin? Namely, stand up for yourself! I think that once he sees that you are no longer vulnerable to his attacks he will decrease them or even stop picking on you. This means a) showing you are confident enough to blow off his comments and not emotionally react to them with anything other than mild disdain and b) occasionally throwing his own medicine back to him - like the comment you made about "thicker and thicker". You don't have to have anything witty or clever either - a simple statement of, "You are really rude" or even "You are a jerk", but stated from a place of maturity, then turning your attention away to something else, would be good.

I personally think the tactic you should try first is what you did the last time you saw this cousin? Namely, stand up for yourself! I think that once he sees that you are no longer vulnerable to his attacks he will decrease them or even stop picking on you. This means a) showing you are confident enough to blow off his comments and not emotionally react to them with anything other than mild disdain and b) occasionally throwing his own medicine back to him - like the comment you made about "thicker and thicker". You don't have to have anything witty or clever either - a simple statement of, "You are really rude" or even "You are a jerk", but stated from a place of maturity, then turning your attention away to something else, would be good.

I have to agree with Ambi here that this may be your best bet to keep contact with your son. When he is rude, calmly make comments like "that was a rude thing to say" or "that was a bit insulting" or "you are being impolite," something like that that states openly that his behavior and comments are not acceptable. Try to stay calm and collected, even seem disinterested beyond stating that his comments were unacceptable.

Based on your description he may continue acting strongly at first with yelling but hopefully will stop once he realizes you aren't going to take the attacks anymore. It may take a little time since he has been doing so for a while so be prepared for that.

It is never easy in those sort of situation with toxic people, especially when they are family. Good luck.

I have to agree with Ambi here that this may be your best bet to keep contact with your son. When he is rude, calmly make comments like "that was a rude thing to say" or "that was a bit insulting" or "you are being impolite," something like that that states openly that his behavior and comments are not acceptable. Try to stay calm and collected, even seem disinterested beyond stating that his comments were unacceptable.

Based on your description he may continue acting strongly at first with yelling but hopefully will stop once he realizes you aren't going to take the attacks anymore. It may take a little time since he has been doing so for a while so be prepared for that.

It is never easy in those sort of situation with toxic people, especially when they are family. Good luck.
I wanted to add to what Resendra said: He may continue acting yelling at first, but I think he may simmer down and just sulk/stop. I think the fact that he overreacted to your comment ("thicker and thicker") shows that he is not used to opposition to his bullying, he is not used to people standing up to him. Well, he'd best get used to it, namely, from you! :)

If you seek legal advice, be sure to mention his anger problem. It may be possible to keep him away from your son, which means he would never be around you, since the purpose of your visits is to see your boy.

Yeah another vote for Ambi here. It's not about you, or cousin X, or his sister, or her marriage. This is about a 14 year old boy who is unfortunately caught in the middle of all this family drama (or comedy or possble genre of horror...).

Focus entirely on your son. Look at the situation through his eyes. How would he like you to react? Would he want to see you scream and shout, or run away? Probably not. How can you handle this in a way that would make him proud?

New Threads

Top Bottom