• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Currently at an autism fundraiser

Sully

V.I.P Member
My wife was supposed to be on a"girls night out," but someone cancelled so I got talked into going. It's a dinner show featuring some entertainers we both like. I didn't know until I got here that it's a fundraising event for an organization that gives iPads to young non-verbal autistic children. They provide training and the iPads include apps that help them communicate their needs and manage their schedule among other things. I had to step out of the crowd for a while.

That's pretty neat! Are they auctioning, running bingo/games/competitions, or just passing the hat? And what do you think of the iPad apps? I'm curious about what non-verbal support looks like.

They just did a couple live auctions. Chef Joe Rego is here. He donated a four course meal with paired wines for up to 20 people in the winner's house. That went for $2500. Celtics ball autographed by the whole team $200. Malcolm Butler autographed football $275. There's lots of other stuff, resort stays, Disney tickets, David Ortiz bat, pictures and balls signed by Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and a whole bunch of other stuff signed by people I've never heard of. I just won a big gift basket full of different teas, chocolate, a couple of mugs, a fleece blanket, some books, and a $50 gift certificate for a spa and salon. Everyone else must have been trying for the baskets with booze, but I don't drink so my chances were good on the tea basket.

They didn't describe the apps, but I will put the list of them here tomorrow. The organization is called Sophie's Promise. You can check them out on Facebook.

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday as I said I would. Here are the apps:

SpecialNeedsWare, the proud creators of AutisMate 365 and TeachMate 365
FizzBrain Apps
Little Bee Speech | Apps for Speech & Language on iPad & iPhone
Speech Therapy Apps and Language Apps for iPhone and iPad
My PlayHome - An imaginative play house app for young children, toddlers and pre-k kids - iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch/Android
https://touchchatapp.com/apps/touchchat-hd-aac
They also list Writing Wizard, but don't give a URL. I think it is this one Writing Wizard - Kids Learn to Write Letters & Words on the App Store on iTunes

Most of them are only a few dollars. The speech one is $150. All the developers donated the copies that are on the iPads that are given away. They are not all ASD specific.

New Threads

Top Bottom