• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could someone let me know some facts about ASD?

1: Dog, Cat, Possum, Goat.

2: My mother grew up in the country and country people don't waste food. If I didn't eat what I was given then I went hungry. I was always good with most foods though, except peas and beans. I like them raw but I can't stand them when they're cooked. It's not the flavour but the texture. I will eat them if I have to in a social situation but I really don't like them.

3: My cooking is quite varied, I eat a lot of different foods. Mostly English style cooking but I like a lot of Asian flavours and I like making my own Pizzas.

Possum:

Possums are cuuuuuuuuuute! Actually that kind of little mouse has its attractiveness to humans (I believe it). Btw, you can have a look here, my project let people locate their personal preference first and then alter the food textures into the favorite types.
In my project, I give a chance for people can change the food's textures through some certain actions. Cut, stir, grind, ect... I describe the food textures in the below image (I'm not sure whether they are precise, you can give your suggestions!)

View attachment 92474

I tried to look at this but the link is broken. Can you try again?
Things are strange here, I try it again.

1671891571532.png

I have very well developed fine motor skills, but not great gross motor skills. Especially when I was little, gym class was hell. Couldn't catch a ball until 7th grade, and even then it was 50/50. One of my students with autism has AMAZING gross motor skills. He plays soccer, basketball, just about any sport you throw at him, he's going to do well at. Fine motor skills though, he has a lot of trouble with. Being able to hold a pencil and write has taken quite a lot of work.

Maybe balance isn't the right word to use, something happens to my motor skills and I just lose balance more easily. But it's not important, I don't think it matters in this thread.
It is relevant to his original question in this case, fine motor control of the micro-muscles. I destroyed one of my knees skiing and I had to learn how to walk again. It takes a fair degree of concentration to keep that leg straight underneath me, and if I'm wearing shoes then I have much less control over those micromuscles. If I get tired the shoes have to come off, otherwise my knee will fold underneath me. Not a pleasant experience.

Couldn't catch a ball until 7th grade, and even then it was 50/50.
I still can't catch a ball and if we're working on a building site never ever ask me to throw you a hammer, it could go anywhere. I excelled at anything that required the fine motor control, gymnastics, wrestling, etc.

I have very well developed fine motor skills, but not great gross motor skills. Especially when I was little, gym class was hell. Couldn't catch a ball until 7th grade, and even then it was 50/50. One of my students with autism has AMAZING gross motor skills. He plays soccer, basketball, just about any sport you throw at him, he's going to do well at. Fine motor skills though, he has a lot of trouble with. Being able to hold a pencil and write has taken quite a lot of work.
Aha, some of you have gross motor skills problems, but excellent in fine motor skills. But some are totally the opposite. Interesting.

Aha, some of you have gross motor skills problems, but excellent in fine motor skills. But some are totally the opposite. Interesting.
It really is. I am very gifted on the piano, can type around 70 words per minute, and love to sew... but have me try to dance and I literally have no clue what to do with my body. My coordination for gross motor skills is about that of an 7 or 8 year old, based on my comparisons with my students.

Again, not diagnosed here. I have a history of clipping my shoulder when walking around walls or brushing up against objects on walls (e.g., thermostats, pictures, elevator door frames, ...any door frames). Also, I have some trouble with tripping up and down stairs. I certainly don't think of myself as having any motor skills difficulty with these things. Usually, I chalk it up to my latest prescription. (Depending on how the lenses are cut, the cut of the lens bends and warps straight lines so they look curved.) But since I still do this even without my glasses, it may be a depth perception thing from my stigmatism.

I can ride a horse (from much practice) but I can't dance. Even though I love riding very much, I'm still safer on the ground than on horseback. Recognizing this helped me to focus instead on my ground skills, so when I used to work with horses I emphasized my ground handling skills over my riding skills and did a lot of the prep work on young horses being started for saddle. (You know, leading, grooming, handling, feet work in prep for the farrier, lots of lunging, purposefully exposing the youngsters to scary paper cup monsters. The kinds of things every young horse needs to learn to be a safe mount under saddle.)

Not sure that this helps you very much but I thought I should mention the glasses & wall thing since it shows there may be alternative explanations for "clumsiness."

It really is. I am very gifted on the piano, can type around 70 words per minute, and love to sew... but have me try to dance and I literally have no clue what to do with my body. My coordination for gross motor skills is about that of an 7 or 8 year old, based on my comparisons with my students.
Agreed I can not dance at all either

Again, not diagnosed here. I have a history of clipping my shoulder when walking around walls or brushing up against objects on walls (e.g., thermostats, pictures, elevator door frames, ...any door frames). Also, I have some trouble with tripping up and down stairs. I certainly don't think of myself as having any motor skills difficulty with these things. Usually, I chalk it up to my latest prescription. (Depending on how the lenses are cut, the cut of the lens bends and warps straight lines so they look curved.) But since I still do this even without my glasses, it may be a depth perception thing from my stigmatism.

I can ride a horse (from much practice) but I can't dance. Even though I love riding very much, I'm still safer on the ground than on horseback. Recognizing this helped me to focus instead on my ground skills, so when I used to work with horses I emphasized my ground handling skills over my riding skills and did a lot of the prep work on young horses being started for saddle. (You know, leading, grooming, handling, feet work in prep for the farrier, lots of lunging, purposefully exposing the youngsters to scary paper cup monsters. The kinds of things every young horse needs to learn to be a safe mount under saddle.)

Not sure that this helps you very much but I thought I should mention the glasses & wall thing since it shows there may be alternative explanations for "clumsiness."
Thats a helpful response, no doubt! You mentioned the horse, and you like it. I wonder, have you ever found anything improved after you work/live with the horses for a period of time? such as they reduce your anxieties of something, they encourage you to be able to try something useful but you hate, i don't know, just this kind of feeling. Have you ever experienced this?

Thats a helpful response, no doubt! You mentioned the horse, and you like it. I wonder, have you ever found anything improved after you work/live with the horses for a period of time? such as they reduce your anxieties of something, they encourage you to be able to try something useful but you hate, i don't know, just this kind of feeling. Have you ever experienced this?
The time zone difference is catching up here. I'll write tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know the intention to do so is in mind, if not in text.

New Threads

Top Bottom