• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Confused and Have no-one to go to

A bit late to the party but another welcome CheeseBlues

When I worked retail it actually broke me a fair ways out of my shell rather than back into it. I'm not sure I can provide useful advise but there are probably many here that have been in your shoes. Sometimes these things are a brain chemical imbalance. I would never recommend for someone to take medication that is not needed. In some cases however it works miracles. I have known people who had anxiety so bad they can't even go out side and with some medication they can completely function and live a much happier and fulfilling life.

a
a public telephone
in the uk they were painted red
in the us the ones ive seen in movies are metallic
or on a post

This is funny. I was also not familiar with this UK term. In Canada or the USA they are "Pay phones" or "phone booths."

It reminds me of when I was playing the game "L.A. Noire" a few years back (One of the best games I have ever played). You play as a detective in Los Angeles in 1947 and it does it's best to create a living open world. Sometimes you have to phone into the police station to speak with someone or to check if there has been messages left for you. The first time I was required to do this I was a bit confused and my mind went sort of blank. Then it hit me... "This is 1947, I have to physically go to a phone somewhere to make a phone call." I laughed to myself and made my way to a phone booth. I thought it a bit funnier because I'm old enough that cell phones didn't really become common enough where most people had them till I was pretty well finished high school.

It starts making me feel older already at 31 when I work with 18 year old's who don't remember a world without cell phones, internet, gps, 16:9 Tv, online shopping, etc

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread.

have you seen dr who( scifi series) before the 1970s we had a police call box as people didnt have home phones .
as you'll.see its blue as the uniforms were an unusual shade of dark blue at the time(the urine from men that lived in my area and newcastle was used as it set the cloth exactly- the cloth was manufactured in north yorkshire ) not that far away - they are black now with a white shirt, i know new york had police phone booths ..
A bit late to the party but another welcome CheeseBlues

When I worked retail it actually broke me a fair ways out of my shell rather than back into it. I'm not sure I can provide useful advise but there are probably many here that have been in your shoes. Sometimes these things are a brain chemical imbalance. I would never recommend for someone to take medication that is not needed. In some cases however it works miracles. I have known people who had anxiety so bad they can't even go out side and with some medication they can completely function and live a much happier and fulfilling life.

This is funny. I was also not familiar with this UK term. In Canada or the USA they are "Pay phones" or "phone booths."

It reminds me of when I was playing the game "L.A. Noire" a few years back (One of the best games I have ever played). You play as a detective in Los Angeles in 1947 and it does it's best to create a living open world. Sometimes you have to phone into the police station to speak with someone or to check if there has been messages left for you. The first time I was required to do this I was a bit confused and my mind went sort of blank. Then it hit me... "This is 1947, I have to physically go to a phone somewhere to make a phone call." I laughed to myself and made my way to a phone booth. I thought it a bit funnier because I'm old enough that cell phones didn't really become common enough where most people had them till I was pretty well finished high school.

It starts making me feel older already at 31 when I work with 18 year old's who don't remember a world without cell phones, internet, gps, 16:9 Tv, online shopping, etc

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread.

maby u should get a go fund me page to get a new phone also try to find night shifts or a stock job
I'm scared to start a go fund me.. I'm nervous that I'll make it and nobody will even care and I'm just gonna feel worse about myself.. People make me feel like I have to do everything on my own
I really want to work at a cheese shop, but I need to learn to drive first. But to learn to drive I need my temps, and to get my temps I need glasses so I can read the dang eye test thing. And I couldnt make an eye appointment until September!
I just don't understand why everything has to be so hard for me... I'm annoyed at myself for relying on the people I have to rely on so much... They're all so spiteful about it, but they don't know I might be on the spectrum...

Mostly because they don't actually know anything about autism or anything mental health related, really. I bet if they knew more about it they would be able to tell.

I'm scared to start a go fund me.. I'm nervous that I'll make it and nobody will even care and I'm just gonna feel worse about myself.. People make me feel like I have to do everything on my own
I really want to work at a cheese shop, but I need to learn to drive first. But to learn to drive I need my temps, and to get my temps I need glasses so I can read the dang eye test thing. And I couldnt make an eye appointment until September!
I just don't understand why everything has to be so hard for me... I'm annoyed at myself for relying on the people I have to rely on so much... They're all so spiteful about it, but they don't know I might be on the spectrum...
eont let falure stop look at how maby companie come back from brankrupitcy life is a fight and it ant over till ur dead

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, but your situation is oh too familiar.

As some others have said, try and find different work. I know my sensory overload would get so bad as to cause panicked attacks when I was in my early twenties. I would think I'm moving at hyperspeed when really I'm just being jittery because I was processing way too much. Pizza places, Gap, none of those fast paced retail stores worked. Jobs I did love and still remember fondly, are single minded tasks or very isolated jobs. You can process all that information when there isn't someone on your back.

Jobs to try to help, Cart pushing/front end stock. Your job is singularly purposed, bring the carts in, and over time you get faster. If you have them in your area try electronic gambling places. They can get busy, but it's just you, and most people just come in and want to play their game and move on. It's low stress.

At the end of the day, the diagnosis is an important first step, and as hard as it sounds you have to make time for it. Tell your job, I have to schedule a doctor appointment and as soon as I know the time I will need that day off.

New Threads

Top Bottom