• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cities

Geordie

Geordie
Do you love the history and geography of different cities?

Do you know:

Detroit is located on the same latitude as Kalamazoo, MI, Albany, NY, Chicago, IL, Des Moines, IA, Cleveland, OH, Erie, PA and Providence, RI?

I agree on the part that Detroit's emphasis on single-family houses, proximity to fresh water and flat terrain (hence, its drainage system) all contributed to Detroit being a healthier city than others in the past, before the Automobile Age.

We only know the French Quarter of New Orleans is one of the better parts of the city - don't recall the French Quarter being flooded.

You may share different stories of different cities here.

Here is my city a long time ago, when the monument towered above all the buildings. I love this picture.
View attachment 3545

And my city in present day, where the monument is dwarfed by our buildings.
View attachment 3546

I work in the tall building on the right, it's the tallest one in the city, and here's what our monument looks like from up there.
monument circle.jpg

I just love that whatever generation build the monument and started our city planning probably had no idea that we'd be able to see it all from so high. Oh and that tiny church behind and to the right of the monument in the first picture is still there and still holding services :)

Isn't this Indianapolis?

It's a beautiful city. It's the home to High School basketball, the Colts and the Pacers. Beautiful place. :)

I'm interested in landmarks mostly. Monuments and history about it. And I'm always interested in seeing before and after pictures of places. And seeing how it changed. (On a related sidenote; the Back to the future movies are totally awesome for such comparisons with their clocktower through the ages).

My city has a lot of history in a weird way. It's not really old (since in 1816 we officially became dutch, and were german before). We're a bordertown. A lot of WW2 history going on here and some of these places still exist like they were in picture. Just over the border here we still have the "Siegfriend line" which was a giant line of concrete tanktraps. No one ever removed those. We have a history as a mining town from the 30's to the 70's in the last century. Also; local dialect and spots that have nicknames in said dialect, those make up for interesting stories in terms of etymology.

My parents have a few books of the city and area, including a local dictionairy (even though our dialect is no official language) and I read most of them when I was younger. And then there's my grandfather who had all kinds of stories, since he lived in the house my parents and me are still living in for 70 years (my street apparently is one of the oldest in the city even).

Even more recent stories are sometimes interesting. Especially when my girlfriend comes over, since my city isn't really "on the map" as such. So I can dig out horrorstories, which aren't made up even, for instance; when we walked through the park and I told her people drowned in the lake in the park when their car rolled downhill my street and ended up in the lake. True story... the son whose parents drowned 50 years ago or so, lives a few doors away even.

I'm not entirely certain of the format or intention of this thread, so forive me if I overcomplicate things or respond incorrectly.

We only know the French Quarter of New Orleans is one of the better

parts of the city - don't recall the French Quarter being flooded.

The French Quarter has often flooded a foot or two in depth over the years with varying

causes, especially in the 18th century when there only existed a natural levee along the

Mississippi keeping in mind that a natural levee is created by frequent flooding. It's

unique location at the bottom of a sharp turn of the river means that a lot of extra

sediment has been left there making it the higher ground in the area. (The river has

actually drifted about three blocks east at that bend since the city was founded.)

Most notably, in 1831 due to the Great Barbados Hurricane, the Mississippi levee at

St. Louis Street broke and flooded the French Quarter.

I'm interested in landmarks mostly. Monuments and history about it. And I'm always

interested in seeing before and after pictures of places. And seeing how it changed. (On a

related sidenote; the Back to the future movies are totally awesome for such comparisons

with their clocktower through the ages).

My city has a lot of history in a weird way. It's not really old (since in 1816 we

officially became dutch, and were german before). We're a bordertown. A lot of WW2 history

going on here and some of these places still exist like they were in picture. Just over the

border here we still have the "Siegfriend line" which was a giant line of concrete

tanktraps. No one ever removed those. We have a history as a mining town from the 30's to

the 70's in the last century. Also; local dialect and spots that have nicknames in said

dialect, those make up for interesting stories in terms of etymology.

Im not terribly familiar with Europen history or the "Siegfriend line" but having googled it the images look fantastical, almost like a symetrically weathered cemetery. I imagine it has a great ambience in person and would probably make for an interesting photoghraphy session.

Monuments fascinate me just to consider the chosen construction process at the time of it's building. Such as the monument posted by Cerulean, completed in 1901. (I had to look that date up because I can never let things go until I find what I want to know). Even with Victorian technology I marvel at how and why this was built. Especally since the era was well between two major wars. Monuments, however, usually only illustrate what ideals where being utilized by authority figures to motivate, capture the the support of, or control the masses. (Consider the monuments at Machu Picchu).

Landmarks, I like a lot more. They bring history to life within a specific environment and terrain which help to make sense of why events suffered specific outcomes. They also help to understand not only what people of that time thought but how they thought. Etymology and dialect also hold similar clues as to how people thought and what values and concepts they held most important.

It is, Geordie. I've lived in Indy for a little over 20 years. Lovely city but the state is way too conservative for me. In the next few years going to try and move somewhere a little less crazy.

My favorite city would be - well, a few.

On the North, it would be Detroit, Michigan. Beautiful city that is little appreciated for what it is.

On the South, however, it would be Galveston, Texas. It's a beautiful beach town near Houston. It has nice historic buildings. I wished I do live there in real life.

GalvezHotelGalveston.jpg

Here's my favorite building, the Galvez Hotel, opened in 1911 :)

I don't know but I picked out an apartment in new york from the internet of course, then look at it on google maps and then look at how many blocks it would take to get to the met, and what places i could walk to from it, so i could pretend i lived there in my head. And I would plan out my imaginary days and such.

My home city of Edinburgh has quite a lot going for it with a lot of history dating back to before the Romans. The geography is great too with lots of hills and wooded areas. There are also lots of old churches and graveyards dating back to medieval times. The old town area is also steeped in many myths and legends. Some of the stories are true such as the grave robbers Burke and Hare and the story of Greyfriars Bobby.

I absolutely LOVE History, most people would call me morbid because I loved to research events like WAYCO, Collumbine and Bloody Sunday. But I also have a fascination on the medieval side of History :)

For the Aussies out there:

My favorite city in Australia is Newcastle, NSW

That's why I'm a Geordie. Visiting Victorian architecture in surf clothes look kind of cool

Newcastle_Street.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom