• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christianity and Aspergers

I attend church every Sunday. here's what I do. I only come when the sermon starts, I avoid coming to the music/P&W part because it gets too loud and they do a lot of standing up. I also sit in the far back and next to the exit in case I have a panic attack. I avoid interacting as much as possible and I like to be as discrete/low profile as I possibly can be.

That exactly what I do I get in and out and people see this and I know they feel weird about it but I do it and mean to stay longer but it is hard. it's my nature in and out just like when I go to a store to buy something I do not dilly dally around.

I accept that I am (at least most likely am) on the spectrum. I don't have a formal diagnosis. Whatever goals you have, religious or not, I think you just strive towards them and manage your life and goals the best you can as a person on the spectrum. I wouldn't focus on "curing" the autism, but trying to live out a Christian life while on the spectrum. No different from the other people who all have their own issues to consider while trying to live out a Christian life. I think it would help to attend a church where there already are people on the spectrum. The churches I have attended happen to have a few kids and/or adults who are on the spectrum, so there are people who understand that sensory issues can happen - otherwise, they kind of just mind their own business anyway. Our priest has a grandchild with autism. I knew a woman who went to a different church where they tried to "heal" her special needs kids and really traumatized them. I have found the stillest part of the church to occupy and close my eyes when there's too much going on. I always feel free to step out if I should need to, though I rarely have. I don't feel my experience is in any way lesser than anyone else's.

The last congregation I attended had at least two, maybe three people on the spectrum. Nobody seemed to know that (except maybe those on the spectrum). I didn't find that one guy in particular, who was part of the music team, was well-tolerated or appreciated. In addition, someone said to me that one of the elders had said that people with ADHD were possible demon possessed. You have to pick your congregation wisely, don't you? So sad. If I could do anything to promote the understanding of autism, I'd probably start at the church level.
":)

Do you tell them you have Autism? I told them and now I fear going back. even thou I feel they are ok with it.

Jumping in here...

I have told only few people (especially since I don't have a formal diagnosis yet). For me, once I get diagnosed, I plan to tell only those people that I trust or the ones that I don't care what they think. Don't most pastors keep a confidence? Yours should. If someone is talking about me in order to help me, I don't mind that. If they are doing it as part of gossip (and yes, this certainly does happen in churches!), I don't like that so much. I think you could muster up the courage to go back, then just see what happens. At worst, people know about your autism and treat you badly. Then, you'd get a chance to forgive them. Win-win.
:)
This is not sarcasm; it's good to give people opportunities to surprise us with their love and fairness. And if they disappoint us instead, it can turn us to God.

I do not dilly dally around.

It's sad that churches still have this social stigma around them. I can see why most aspies would be driven away from the church because of this. What helps keep the faith for me is my hope that God will accept me for who I am based on the fact that he made me the way he wanted me to be and I don't have to hide my true self anymore.

I don't understand why a Christian would want to be cure of autism. The way I see it is God created humans but God is perfect. God doesn't make mistakes so why would you want to be changed ?
Surely having autism is not an imperfection, at least thats how I feel.

I am a christian and if it where not for my faith, I am not sure I would be alive.

I love our Creator so very much.

I don't understand why a Christian would want to be cure of autism. The way I see it is God created humans but God is perfect. God doesn't make mistakes so why would you want to be changed ?
Surely having autism is not an imperfection, at least thats how I feel.

That's how I look at it, it must be something that is a part of us like being left handed. Something we can not help and that we need to be accepted. unfortunately we need to conform to a degree too, it is tough. such as the serenity prayer where it says to accept the things you can not change and change the thing you can.

We've gone to church [Vineyard] fairly regularly, until my LFA daughter became unmanageable (to others*). I can still manage her, but it has to be away from the sanctuary, so I don't get to to hear the message, anyway.

My born-again, Spirit-filled, Christian faith gives me a continually renewed perspective on who I am before God (including what the world calls Aspergers).

*She randomly bites people and you can't always see it coming. Sometimes it is due to anxiety. Sometimes it is an expression of infantilism.

Last edited:
In addition, someone said to me that one of the elders had said that people with ADHD were possible demon possessed. You have to pick your congregation wisely, don't you?
Aspies can have demons just like anybody else can. We just wear it differently. So far, I have seen no evidence that Aspergers, itself, is demonic in origin.

We've gone to church [Vineyard] fairly regularly, until my LFA daughter became unmanageable (to others*). I can still manage her, but it has to be away from the sanctuary, so I don't get to to hear the message, anyway.

My born-again, Spirit-filled, Christian faith gives me a continually renewed perspective on who I am before God (including what the world calls Aspergers).

*She randomly bites people and you can't always see it coming. Sometimes it is due to anxiety. Sometimes it is an expression of infantilism.

I'm in windsor ontario canada and I go to a vineyard church maybe it's the same?type?

That's how I look at it, it must be something that is a part of us like being left handed. Something we can not help and that we need to be accepted. unfortunately we need to conform to a degree too, it is tough. such as the serenity prayer where it says to accept the things you can not change and change the thing you can.

YES! It's a fine balance. We do have to conform, in order to not be rude/crude/sociallyUnacceptable. We can't have both worlds. If we're rude/arrogant/impatient with people, we can't argue when they don't want to hang around us. At the same time, it's so frustrating when we try our best to not appear rude/arrogant/impatient with people--because that is not our intent. This is where I wish NT people could understand. I'm not convinced NT people can ever understand the autistic brain any more than autistic people can truly understand the NT brain.

At some point, each party must take it on faith. Like in algebra. X is just X. Don't ask why.

Aspies can have demons just like anybody else can. We just wear it differently. So far, I have seen no evidence that Aspergers, itself, is demonic in origin.

That's how I look at it, someone told me that some people in the bible may of had aspergers, and that it is just a way of life, nothing demonic! I definitely no longer see myself like that.

I'm in windsor ontario canada and I go to a vineyard church maybe it's the same?type?
It could be. It depends on where it stood after the Toronto Airport Vineyard broke off and became the Catch The Fire movement.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced NT people can ever understand the autistic brain any more than autistic people can truly understand the NT brain.

At some point, each party must take it on faith.
I have seen the Baptism of the Holy Spirit bridge that gap.

Last edited:
I was raised in a conservative fundamentalist christian cult and it did a lot of damage to me on multiple levels, more than to other youth because of my susceptibility and immaturity. They knew I was different, a "problem child", my mum's parenting skills were judged by women in the church and my dad's position of responsibility in the church and at home was questioned because i was not "normal".
From about 12 years old I started struggling to make the logical connection between faith and reality leading to years of confusion, frustration and wearing a christian mask, even intentionally lying about my relationship with god, jesus and the holy spirit to "save face" for my parents so they would stop harrassing me and judging them. Eventually I chose Nature as my teacher, saviour and sanctuary.
Throughout my teens and 20s I tried very hard to conform, trying different churches from different branches of christianity and levels of progress and modern thinking, a year of bible college, a missionary and years with a christian theatre troupe but my antiauthoritarian and feminist nature grew stronger with every unloving, elitist, judging, guilt-tripping, hypocritical action and teaching i witnessed and confronted. I was excommunicated from a pentecostel church (which i had become very active in because I felt accepted) when i questioned the teachings of the pastor which were basically demanding reform and conformity so the church can use my special gifts for god. If I didn't I was a servant of the devil. I didn't want to conform or let the church control my gifts (including but not limited to the extra sensory spectrum stuff that NTs want and can't have) which, according to the pastor in the sermon and later in a private conversation, made me a witch and unwelcome.
I left all that behind almost 2 decades ago but god, jesus, the bible, etc, are still trauma relapse triggers. I'm shaking as I write this.

I know it helps a lot of people to be part of a group that accepts them, especially youth groups and for people living alone in a city or new to a small regional town. If church is an activity someone on the spectrum chooses to participate in as an adult or choose to continue through from childhood to adulthood then I advise they choose carefully which brand of church they attend because there are a lot of harmful mainstream churches who will still try healing you of autism and call comorbid mental illnesses like depression, PTSD, anxiety, etc, weaknesses in faith or demon possession.

Be careful when you choose a deity or church and have the courage to leave if they make you uncomfortable, feel less than whole or suggest you stop taking meds or attending therapy without consulting your doctor first. Church is not a care plan but can help as a complimentary therapy if you don't mind people.

Christianity or going to church is not for everyone so don't feel disappointed if it doesn't work for you. Communes and cave hermitages don't work for everyone either. You can choose any faith or philosophy that doesn't contradict your soul and worship wherever you fell comfortable.

Remember LOVE surpasses all religion and should guide our behaviour and thoughts.

I'll bet Sampson had Asperger's!!
Haha! Yes! I used to pretend I was Samson when playing outside alone and would do feats of strength as games which were actual genuine feats of strength for a small young girl. That was simply interpreted as part of my misdiagnosed ADD :D

Do you tell them you have Autism? I told them and now I fear going back. even thou I feel they are ok with it.

I have not disclosed. I'm there for God, I maintain a cordial but somewhat distant relationship with other people. It is not easy for me to successfully navigate group dynamics at church, and I still like to be private and don't trust most people with highly personal information about me. I don't think they need to know, and I think there are people who still would have inaccurate ideas about what Aspergers is. I want to keep things comfortable for me. Though....I do think eventually people can start getting annoyed or mystified by me since I don't get to know people better or get more involved in activities there. Oh well, I only manage as much as I can, and I keep my own goals in mind first and foremost.

Haha! Yes! I used to pretend I was Samson when playing outside alone and would do feats of strength as games which were actual genuine feats of strength for a small young girl. That was simply interpreted as part of my misdiagnosed ADD :D

You're a girl and pretended to be Samson? So funny! I relate to that as well. I was a tomboy; I always thought it was because I had two brothers... but I had an older sister, too. Now I realize that it was because I had Asperger's.

I attend church every Sunday. here's what I do. I only come when the sermon starts, I avoid coming to the music/P&W part because it gets too loud and they do a lot of standing up. I also sit in the far back and next to the exit in case I have a panic attack. I avoid interacting as much as possible and I like to be as discrete/low profile as I possibly can be.

this is what I do. I go after it has started and leave before it's over. ANd I DO curl into a little ball with my knit hat on and no one comes to talk to me and I sit there alone. But it's cool! I wear earplugs so I can hear the music wihtout feeling like I am shot.

I am a deep Christian and it makes sense to me. I read a lot of the mystics. I do not try to be cured. I just want the Peace that is promised and it is there mostly. I fall a lot. I have little faith. But life wihtout it for me is harder than withit.

New Threads

Top Bottom