• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't Stand Being Supervised?

These days, I don't put up with it (even if its someone I know) and I just come out and say something. Usually I'll look up and stare at them then I'll say " Do you need something?" They pretty much know that I don't want them watching, unless they tell me why they're doing it and then I'm fine with it and will even start explaining what I'm doing. My algebra teacher used to stand behind me and wait for me to come up with an answer (of course he already knew the answer), but that wasn't going to work - I can't concentrate when someone is waiting for me to answer something. Ok, I also couldn't concentrate when my algebra teacher was that close anyway (he was just too darn cute). Anyway, I would always have to look up and say "Can you give me a minute?" Then he would just take a step back and wait again. So then I'd have to say "I need more than a minute." He got the point.

Then yesterday, this cop got right behind me on my way home from work and just kept following me real close. That pisses me off to have a police officer ride my a** since I'm a "model citizen" - never even received a traffic ticket (you can tell it still upsets me). I used to just go real slow with them riding my tail for several miles, but not anymore. I turned on my right signal and even had to cross over another lane to turn right. I was so tired of working all night that I didn't even care if he pulled me over, but he better have a damn good excuse. He didn't follow. I don't like being intimidated like that.

There are hands-on supervisors and hands-off supervisors. I only appreciate the latter- not the former. The ones who quickly assess whether you really need hovering over or not. The ones who give you the ball and stand back to see how far down the field you take it without interference.

It's annoying to be watched by someone and can't handle it, actually. But the worst thing that can happen is some supervisor be behind me while giving an exam test or something. I can't concentrate, I get frustrated and angry and I don't find it easy to return back to what I was doing or thinking due to some short-term memory loss thing or something like that. Sometimes it might cause problems due to the fact that I ask them (not always in a nice way) to back off and go somewhere else and they think it's guilty or insluting and then things get out of hand. :mad:

It just depends on the situation for me,say im working on a program and someone decides to come up and watch what im writing no biggie all fine. But its not fine when they try back-seat coding :angry:

Being supervised by anyone really pisses me off too. It makes me feel like I'm being judged as incompetent and stupid.

I agree with Kuribo I think the problem is in a sence that we are being judged. If we are being supervised it only needs to be for the first time, not every five minutes.

It's the worst. I like to do things on my own and if I don't know how to do something, I will most of the time figure it out on my own. I am a dog washer, which is pretty much the best job in the world for a couple reasons. 1. I am in a room all by myself 2. I have dogs 3. I have music. That's really all I need to be happy, but I absolutely can't stand it when my boss comes back to micromanage me. I know how to do my job, and it sort of offends me when people tell me differently, even if it is "constructive criticism". It does not feel constructive to me and often reduces me to tears. I just hate feeling stupid. So basically, I avoid people watching me to avoid being judged. I don't even like my boyfriend to watch me do my makeup/hair, but that has less to do with feeling judge and more just feeling an awkward presence around me.

Holy mother of god.

This is something that really grinds my gears. To check I am okay, i mentally square four-digit numbers. Once I told someone this in a maths lesson, and they gave me a four digit number to square, but i got anxious and failed. I tried to explain it was something I have to do on my own, but yeah, it was awkward.
Today to check i was fine, i decided to square 1034. 45 seconds later, i had the answer 1069156. Checked it on my calculator. 1069156. "Cool, I'm okay in the head today!"

I'm with you I hate people giving their opinion and watching and all that. The only time I don't mind is with something brand new like at work I'm learning to make coffee and I have no idea what I'm doing so that's fine when they watch but no i agree it's really annoying being supervised ect.

I don't mind being supervised. But, whoever "supervises" me minds a great deal! :D

If I meet ever meet a supervisor person who knows what they are doing, I'd be happy to let them stand there and watch me do something I know what to do anyway :)

I think this whole supervising lark is an utter insult and sign I need to move jobs! If I ever don't know how to do something, I find out how to. If I need to ask someone I will. If I make a mistake I admit it. Why do I need a supervisor? NT thing, not aspie!

I can't stand being watched when I am doing stuff. It sucks being that I am not allowed to even have my door closed in my house because my parents are too lazy to get up and get me and knock on the door. They have to yell for me from the living room scaring me making me jolt up...and my sister and brother love to watch me over my shoulder on the computer or even stand in the door watching what I am doing. They constantly...CONSTANTLY ask if they can watch what I am watching or why I am doing this or how this works or how that works...its really annoying. My girlfriend is okay with it I guess. She doesn't typically watch me do it. We do like everything together when we are together except for she plays wizard101 and to say the truth I hate that game. Its really boring and tedious I guess to run from space to space spending ten minutes to go somewhere to turn around kill an enemy and go all the way back. I play it for her from time to time though. She doesn't know I don't like it though.

I too find it very difficult to concentrate when someone else is observing me. When they hang around when I'm writing it's the worst, I feel so scrutinized.

I despise being watched doing, well, anything. I feel like I'm being criticized and judged and then people ask me questions about what I'm doing and I don't want to answer because it's MY story I'm writing or its MY painting I'm working on. They're crossing a line without even realizing it.

And it was always like that. Even as a kid, I didn't like to share my interests with others, including my parents. My grades eventually started to slip in middle and high school because I would wait until everyone went to bed at night to do my homework so my parents wouldn't be nosy and inquisitive about what I was doing-you know, good parent things. It made me uncomfortable.

Even now, I find myself able to be more productive at work WITHOUT the coworker or manager. They stunt my through process in terms of finding things to do with the down time and adds the element of "how do I handle this nt?"

New Threads

Top Bottom