• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you swim?

Can you swim?

• Yes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • A bit, but not to Olympic level

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Despite being disabled I'm a pretty good swimmer actually, well I did learn from an early age, think I was about 7 or 8 when I first went to lessons from school.

So how about you lot?

Learned as a kid. First the basics in California and later advanced swimming strokes in Virginia.

But don't ask me to the do the butterfly stroke. Too exhausting!

I started swimming before I could walk, had lessons throughout my childhood, became a lifeguard at 16, and still swim a few times a week if I can.

I learned to swim with great difficulty just about did my 10 metres and 25 metres, but then when I tried to go swimming again a few years later I could not do it. I have coordination problems and weak muscle tone which doesn't help.

I can do breast stroke, front crawl and the doggy paddle. Can't do Butterfly, kills my arms, and I can't even float backwards much less do back crawl.

I love swimming and was taught by my aunty at the age of 3 or 4, our whole family used to go swimming together most Sundays. I'm proficient in all strokes and competed in school

I can dog-paddle around the pool well enough. Never had lessons. I freak out about putting my head under water, so I don't think I'll ever improve my swimming skills.

I've been swimming this afternoon, enjoyed it, cooing at cute Babies in the Pool as well.

I can't swim properly. Honestly, I'm too scared to put my face in the water. I don't like the feeling of having water in my eyes. :confounded:

The school for autism I was in from grades 4-6 had swimming lessons every other week so that's where I learned to swim. I'm not the best though.

I learnt around the age of 13, so pretty late for most kids. I learnt using a snorkel mask underwater, it made life so much more easier now that I didn't need to focus on keeping afloat or not getting water in my eyes or up my nose. I'd definitely recommend doing that if you haven't learn yet.

I can swim, at my primary school there was a swimming pool so we had regular lessons. I couldn't progress past the basic lessons though because to do so I had to be able to float for 1 minute. I could not and still cannot float. My bum sinks then my body then my head and my legs. I'm told that a human naturally floats. Well I think that is b*ll*ck$. That may be why I am not brilliant at swimming I suppose. I can swim for a long time, but I can't swim fast and I think I would sink (and drown) if I had to swim against even a weak current.

I can dog-paddle around the pool well enough. Never had lessons. I freak out about putting my head under water, so I don't think I'll ever improve my swimming skills.

This is me, too. I can count the number of times we made it to water when I was young on one hand (even though we lived a couple of miles from Lake Michigan), so by the time I was old enough to take matters into my own hands, I was thoroughly face/eye/nose wet phobic.

Last edited:
I can swim, at my primary school there was a swimming pool so we had regular lessons. I couldn't progress past the basic lessons though because to do so I had to be able to float for 1 minute. I could not and still cannot float. My bum sinks then my body then my head and my legs. I'm told that a human naturally floats. Well I think that is b*ll*ck$. That may be why I am not brilliant at swimming I suppose. I can swim for a long time, but I can't swim fast and I think I would sink (and drown) if I had to swim against even a weak current.

I think you are right about a human naturally floating. Some people do and some people do not. As a kid, I used to go swimming in a flooded gravel pit. I seem to float naturally and a friend of mine said he would sink like a rock. So we did a experiment. We both did a canon ball into deep water and stayed balled up. I floated to the surface like a bobber. He sank like a rock and had to swim to the surface. I am not sure why this is, but my guess would be body fat and/or bone density.

I learned to swim some by falling out of boats. Later I took some lessons and got a little better at it but I am still a very weak swimmer. I can barely float. When I float on my back in a pool only my forehead and a bit of my chin is not under water. Most bodies are less dense than water but mine is just barely.

New Threads

Top Bottom