• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can one develop Asperger's due to trauma?

Has anyone else developed Asperger's or ASD after childhood trauma?

• Yes, confirmed by mental health professional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I believe so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The trauma was a very long time ago, I'm just curious how it plays into the Asperger's. Accepting this diagnosis has been freeing and strange. It answered a lot of questions about my odd behaviors, but it's hard to look in the mirror and admit, "I have an autism spectrum disorder." In sort of takes away the hope that one can be "cured."

The NTs in our life unfortunately can't educate themselves if they don't agree with the Asperger's diagnosis to begin with. As far as "people talking," I posted my Aspie status on FB and said if someone doesn't like me, we need not have a relationship :) But no one's been whispering behind my back (I asked). I think my significant other is just too sensitive.
It is unfortunate and sad that people feel that they can just decide to disagree with your diagnosis. I think it is very cool of you that you just said straight of to the people you knew; "if someone doesn't like me, we need not have a relationship". I personally have only told a few people so far, simply because I do not want nor need everyones 5cents on what they think of that. Especially also because I am still learning what it means for me specifically. Perhaps your SO is just too sensitive, but I will send positivity your way :)

New Threads

Top Bottom