• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying things you don’t need

It's part of world we live in. People have no sense of value anymore with much of anything. Truthfully it's almost normal to have multiple of something, because stuff now is built for a throw away society.

Nothing else matters, that isn't feeding the beast.
Don't forget mattresses. I heard somewhere that you're supposed to replace your mattress every 7 years. But think how quickly 7 years goes. It seems such a waste if you had paid a lot for an expensive mattress that still feels lovely and comfortable even after like 10 years. Some people haven't got the money to keep replacing their mattress.
Same with shoes. I need comfortable, expensive shoes because my feet are wide, so I don't like to walk too much in them because they wear out quicker and I like to hang on to shoes and boots for as long as I can.

Don't forget mattresses. I heard somewhere that you're supposed to replace your mattress every 7 years. But think how quickly 7 years goes. It seems such a waste if you had paid a lot for an expensive mattress that still feels lovely and comfortable even after like 10 years. Some people haven't got the money to keep replacing their mattress.
Same with shoes. I need comfortable, expensive shoes because my feet are wide, so I don't like to walk too much in them because they wear out quicker and I like to hang on to shoes and boots for as long as I can.
I simply placed a melamine desktop (55"x24"x1") between my boxsprings and mattress.

It was like having a brand new bed after a far,far longer duration than seven years. Amazing if you like a rigid surface to sleep on.

I still laugh at my car dealer, trying to sell me a new car every two to three years. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have trouble with the grocery store. Even if I have enough food supplies in my house to last until the next time it snows in south Florida (which I do), I'll spend $100 at the grocery store. Yes. I use a list. Yes. I eat before I go there. It just all looks so good and tempting! I really have to JUST SAY NO and stay home. :confused:

Yes, there are certain things l buy over and over. Salsa, Sirracha-mayo, pickles, has to be slices and dill taste, mayo, yogurts plain and not plain. My latest craze, protein ice coffee, carmel flavor. But l just ordered the expresso cream flavor. Yes, you read that right, two expresso shots. I load up my blender with this, and carmel yogurt with protein, and l can do cartwheels on my ceiling.

Attachments

• 1715060428715.png
    1715060428715.png
    552.3 KB · Views: 7
I misread sugar scrubs as sugar cubes, and I thought, "Maybe she needs them for tea or coffee or whatever". It didn't sound like much, compared to sugar scrubs, anyway.

I'm very "frugal." It's really hard to let go of the money to buy things.
Some people are the opposite. It is a compulsion with them.
One sugar scrub is alright and healthy for your skin. Twenty?
A different aroma for each day maybe?
It can turn into hoarding.

Just think of those excess epithelial cells sugar scrub gets rid of allowing the skin to renew itself instead of shedding them all over everything like dander.
In fact, that is the reason the seven -year mattress replacement is recommended.
Take a look:

A mattress pad cover can help. Keep it clean folks!

I was thinking about those sugar scrubs, if it was a good deal/a good price then it makes sense to buy 20. I do that often, buy lots of something because it's a good deal. I'm guessing she's using those sugar scrubs regularly, so she can either buy one now and when that one is worn out, she can buy another one later and so on. Or buy 20 now and stockpile it. I would buy 20 now or even more, it makes sense I think. 🤔 I like to shop bulk and stockpile things I use, instead of buying one item every week.

I was thinking about those sugar scrubs, if it was a good deal/a good price then it makes sense to buy 20. I do that often, buy lots of something because it's a good deal. I'm guessing she's using those sugar scrubs regularly, so she can either buy one now and when that one is worn out, she can buy another one later and so on. Or buy 20 now and stockpile it. I would buy 20 now or even more, it makes sense I think. 🤔 I like to shop bulk and stockpile things I use, instead of buying one item every week.
That’s how I end up with a storeroom of cases of ketchup and mayo, spaghetti sauce, coconut oil and the list goes on. I buy items on sale “two for the price of one” which seems like a good deal. But when am I going to save money and actually be able to reduce my grocery bill? I just keep building up supplies. The quality of canned food deteriorated after several years.

That’s how I end up with a storeroom of cases of ketchup and mayo, spaghetti sauce, coconut oil and the list goes on. I buy items on sale “two for the price of one” which seems like a good deal. But when am I going to save money and actually be able to reduce my grocery bill? I just keep building up supplies. The quality of canned food deteriorated after several years.

I guess we have to have some limits and shop smart. 🤔 Too much is not good either, if it expires.

But how can you throw out food? What if there is a catastrophe and there is no more food? Expired food is ok to eat. It’s just not tasting good or may be a bit mushy. I can spend hours trying to figure out the balance of what to keep and what to throw away. :eek: :)

The man I moved in with in 2012, I discovered was the hoarding sort.
I found cases of Sunscreen and bottles of aftershave in the garage that had expired and he didn't want to get rid of them. Think of the Florida heat and what it would do to them too.
Expired sunscreen is probably no good even if you use it.

What if there is a catastrophe and there is no more food?

Hm, now I'm a little worried I don't have enough food. 🤔 Most things I buy a lot of and stockpile, is non-food items or food items that has a long shelf life. I live alone so if I buy a lot of food, it expires before I can eat it. I do also buy some extra food but I don't have a lot of it.

was thinking about those sugar scrubs, if it was a good deal/a good price then it makes sense to buy 20.
I understand your point, but this specific product looks pretty easy to make yourself. For the price of 20 prepackaged products, you might be able to purchase the ingredients for 50 if you make it yourself. Maybe the problem is sometimes wanted the shiny, convenient thing sold at a store when really we could do with something homemade. I think marketing definitely has an impact on how much people ultimately choose to buy.

I understand your point, but this specific product looks pretty easy to make yourself. For the price of 20 prepackaged products, you might be able to purchase the ingredients for 50 if you make it yourself. Maybe the problem is sometimes wanted the shiny, convenient thing sold at a store when really we could do with something homemade. I think marketing definitely has an impact on how much people ultimately choose to buy.

I didn't know that. I rarely or never buy those things so I know little about it. :)

I have to admit that I'm guilty of buying shiny new things. But I rationalize it, it's often tools and things that are useful. Things I use to work with. And I'm sure I can come up with several other excuses if I have to. ;) And sometimes I just tell myself that it makes life a little better and more fun. And I live alone and need more fun sometimes, so I buy stuff.

Sometimes the novelty of buying something new feels great but then as soon as I get home and take it out of my bag I place it somewhere and don't look at it any more.

I've made a sugar scrub myself. It's very easy to do. All I did was put half a cup of sugar in a quarter cup of avocado oil and stir it up.

Having stuff can be fun for people. It can be an escape from loneliness. I love stuff and collecting, but I'm trying to focus on using what I have and then selling it. Learning how to and putting in the effort to sell can help with clutter and is more sustainable too.

New Threads

Top Bottom