• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic" or "Person with Autism"?

I would describe myself as a person with autism, and not an autistic person.

Why is this important to me?

Well first of all I don't feel that who I am is defined by autism. Sure, it has certainly coloured my entire being and my world view. But I don't wish to be defined as being 'in the group of' autistic persons.

Put it another way, neuodivergency is not my 'in-group'.

At the same time, this doesn't mean that I think autism is something that happens to people. I would not wish to communicate that autism and personhood are somehow separate.

I would prefer not to be identified with any particular group, whether based on culture, nationality, politics, or ways of thinking. Instead, I'd prefer to identify myself with everyone else, with no exceptions. A world citizen, if you will.

That means, because I don't feel that I want to belong to an 'in-group', then no 'groups' are 'out-groups' for me either.

Please feel free to share your perspectives here. Speaking for myself only, I'd be glad to hear them and will appreciate them for what they are. Diversity is beautiful.

I think people should respect your choice, personally I prefer to be seen as an autist or as being autistic.

I think people should respect your choice, personally I prefer to be seen as an autist or as being autistic.
I've learnt it is best to respect how other people prefer to be referred to as, although it can be difficult to know or remember who wants to be referred to as autistic person and who wants to be referred to as a person with autism.
Personally speaking I prefer not to be referred to as autistic at all. I like being called Aspie.

I've learnt it is best to respect how other people prefer to be referred to as, although it can be difficult to know or remember who wants to be referred to as autistic person and who wants to be referred to as a person with autism.
Personally speaking I prefer not to be referred to as autistic at all. I like being called Aspie.
I agree, it can be difficult to remember which form people prefers, but then I also struggle with remembering people's names, or just recognizing them.

The one term I can't stand and take offense at is "Aspie". The way it is shortened makes it sound flippant and to me it comes across as derogatory, demeaning and degrading. I am autistic.

It's even more confusing when people have their own preferences. What offends one person might not offend another.
I prefer Aspie to Spectrumite. Ugh, I hate that word! Reminds me of some sort of pesty insect, like termite.

I prefer Aspie to Spectrumite. Ugh, I hate that word! Reminds me of some sort of pesty insect, like termite.
I never heard Spectrumite before - that is a wonderful word I love people comming up with words like that :) but I wouldn't use it about anyone unless that was their preference.

I took set theory in high school, an interesting branch of mathematics, could be useful to you if you have an interest in math. group theory may also be useful.

I am struggling a bit by this as well as a new late-diagnosed person. Because I struggle with "fitting in" and not wanting to offend people socially, it was a little overwhelming to come to this community and immediately see that I can cause offense just by referring to someone. Autistic vs With Autism. Asperger's or ASD. On the Spectrum or Neurodivergent. And even things like "puzzle piece or infinity rainbow?"

All of the reasons I've seen for the different references are logical and valid, and I respect them all. But it makes matters harder for me to decide how to refer to myself, let alone how to interact/refer to others in the community.

All of the reasons I've seen for the different references are logical and valid, and I respect them all. But it makes matters harder for me to decide how to refer to myself, let alone how to interact/refer to others in the community.
You don't have to choose a single way for your self, there are no right or wrong ways in how you want to be referred.

I am struggling a bit by this as well as a new late-diagnosed person. Because I struggle with "fitting in" and not wanting to offend people socially, it was a little overwhelming to come to this community and immediately see that I can cause offense just by referring to someone. Autistic vs With Autism. Asperger's or ASD. On the Spectrum or Neurodivergent. And even things like "puzzle piece or infinity rainbow?"

I know what you mean. I hate accidentally offended people, and if people accidentally offend me I try to be mindful that they don't know what I'm thinking and didn't offend on purpose.

The one term I can't stand and take offense at is "Aspie". The way it is shortened makes it sound flippant and to me it comes across as derogatory, demeaning and degrading. I am autistic.
I can’t stand that term either. There’s something too cutesy and flippant about it, it’s annoying.

I think it's because on the autism forum I used to belong to they used Aspie quite a lot, so I used it too. I'm trying not to here.

Hi @v4169sgr

I personally prefer the other option to you. My reasons are that autism is an essential part of how I am and thus who I am. To me, the word with suggests that I was without before and now have this condition. I have always been autistic, even though I was only diagnosed in my 65th year. Autism is something I have lived with will died with. It cannot be removed, cured or healed. Thus I am an autistic person.

However, I respect your choice, to be considered a "person with autism".

BTW - you might want to google "person first" versus "condition first".

I don't feel like autism is who I am, but I do respect those who do feel that way. Most people on the spectrum do say autism is who they are. That's cool.
I don't feel the same way about myself. I am me, not a disorder.
Then again, I do feel ADHD is who I am, which is why I'm reluctant to go on meds for ADHD. I don't really want to become this focused, organised, non-hyperactive zombie lol.

Hi @v4169sgr

I personally prefer the other option to you. My reasons are that autism is an essential part of how I am and thus who I am. To me, the word with suggests that I was without before and now have this condition. I have always been autistic, even though I was only diagnosed in my 65th year. Autism is something I have lived with will died with. It cannot be removed, cured or healed. Thus I am an autistic person.

However, I respect your choice, to be considered a "person with autism".

BTW - you might want to google "person first" versus "condition first".

Thank you. I did as you suggested, and WOW, never thought I'd be stepping into a minefield :astonished:

Found this really excellent resource where, though the author does eventually come off the fence, does make some interesting and important points.

Having said all of that, I agree with you. But that doesn't change my choice - I'd prefer not to identify myself with the autistic community (though I am here among the autistic community posting!!!). I've been autistic all my life: the diagnosis I had in the past few months doesn't change any of that. The point being that I won't wish to identify with any particular group at all, because I don't wish anyone to feel excluded, or for my actions to exclude anyone.

Thanks again for the suggestion! :):cool:

Since my diagnosis, which finally explained the deficiencies I was suffering from during a painful time of life, I like being described as "My aspie husband" by my spouse, but describe myself as autistic.

My autism impacted me, but I am more than my autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom