• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic" or "Person with Autism"?

Anything's better than Spectrumite lol. Can't stand that word.

I don't like being called autistic because I don't identify as autistic. But that's for other reasons. I don't care whether people say "autistic people" or "people with autism", as it's both the same thing to me. It's difficult to have to keep remembering to jump through hoops all the time just in case it might offend somebody.
If you don't identify as autistic, why do you use a site meant for autistic people/family members of autistic people? Do you know someone who is autistic?

I prefer the term "autistic", but sometimes use "person with autism"/"I have autism" when I talk to allistic people because they seem to react better. They can't always fathom autism being so integral to someone's existence and will act weird if you use just "autistic".

I say/call myself autistic. It bothers me when NTs insist that people should only say “people with autism” because it’s not their place to decide. I met someone who was really adamant I call myself a “person with autism“ and it annoyed me very much.
The North American indigenous people were incorrectly named "Indians" by Europeans. When they learned English, they learned that the white people called them Indians. The word Indian meant nothing to them, so they had no aversion to using the term to refer to themselves as Indians when around whites.
In the early 1970s the American Indian Movement (AIM) produced the term "Native Americans" to more accurately describe all the North American tribes. The term gained in popularity, then the US Government stepped in and broadened the definition to include Pacific Islanders that lived in US territories.
The North American tribes felt that the government had hijacked the term and started going back to using "American Indian", or even more preferably their own tribal name. Meanwhile, the "Political Correctness Police", out of sync with the preferences of the native peoples, have gotten fairly militant in insisting the correct term is Native American.

I used to be on autism groups in FB and some of them had rules that you could say “autistic person” only and not person with autism or else you’d be banned from the group.

It’s not the word they use, it’s the connotations they feel their words carry. I prefer the term ‘autist’ as a noun rather than using the descriptor. An autist practices autism as an artist practices art. Not everyone who is autistic practices autism, as not everyone who practices art is an artist.

Therefore, I am a lousy autist. But, like the artist, I believe my autism is both a blessing and a curse, as any starving artist will say of their art. There are both artists and autists who have the potential, but never make an art form of it. I’m a lousy autist, but I try every day to be the best expression of myself, which certainly includes autism.

Person-first language, and inclusive language in general, arises from good intentions, but it also has to meet us where we are as speakers. If it's too artificial or clunky, it's not likely to stick. I personally wouldn't get too worked up however people choose to say it, but I think autistic sounds natural and inoffensive.

A slightly different topic is that my mom prefers not to use the word autistic at all - she prefers Asperger's. I suspect she has ingrained (and false) ideas about what an autistic person is and finds the latter term preferable, especially because in her eyes I was the 'smart' kid growing up. Just prior to my diagnosis, she would say "Maybe you're a little Asperger's." People need time to evolve, and language is just the same I guess.

Then what does not "identifying" as autistic mean, if you are autistic???
Well I could have been misdiagnosed. Or that I just don't fit the autism mould apart from having one or two symptoms. I have ADHD, surely us ADHD folk are welcome here too.

My instinct would be to say "person with autism" as I don't think it defines a person or makes them essentially a different kind of human being. Just like any other condition. Saying "autist", "schizophrenic" or "cripple" seems to me to imply that. We're all people, essentially the same kind of creature, I'd leave it at that.

I feel that ''autistic'' and ''person with autism'' means the same thing. Same as when you say ''diabetic'' and ''person with diabetes''. I always used to use ''Aspie'' for all people on the spectrum but a lot of them don't seem to like that term. It was quick and easy but now I feel I have to call everyone on the spectrum autistic, although now it's getting confusing because some people get offended with autistic while others get offended with person with autism.

I just wish I could write a post without people focusing on one word and freaking out. It's all so tiring. Like when some people don't think autism is a disorder, even though ASD stands for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Others don't like disability, so now I have to say ''difference'', although many autistics argue that they are disabled. What's the right word I can use that will offend nobody?

Well I could have been misdiagnosed. Or that I just don't fit the autism mould apart from having one or two symptoms. I have ADHD, surely us ADHD folk are welcome here too.
So you just have ADHD??? I just always find it kind of weird when people who don't have autism post on these forums and in topics like this.

Having "one or two symptoms" doesn't qualify for an autism diagnoses per the guidelines. This has been a serious issue for you for years. Since the tension you've felt has been such a big part of your life for so long, you should get re-assessed. Who cares of the NHS or whatever you had to go through might have a waiting list of years. Imagine how much better you'd feel based on what you've said often over time if you find out you in fact were misdiagnosed. Wouldn't that make you feel better to know that if that was the case?

Last edited:
What's the right word I can use that will offend nobody?
The universally non offensive word?
We'd sooner be able to find real unicorns and dragons.

We can only do our best and try to move through life with respect for each other. We can be ready to make a repair when there has been a misunderstanding.

All are welcome here. There is no prerequisite other than agreeing to follow the rules.

person with autistic neurology, but don't tell NTs iam, i explain its only a neurological difference and NTs lets say negative

I think how one labels themself and prefers to be labeled is personal, thus varies per person.

For me, I consider myself to be an autistic person. Saying that I have autism sounds like a disease. For example; I have Crohn's disease, but that doesn't define who or what I am. It's a disease that I am afflicted with. However autism is a part of my person - a part of what makes me be me.

For myself, I prefer identity-first language over person-first language. I am autistic and if you were to refer to me in the context of autism, say that 'Viola is autistic' rather than 'Viola is a person with autism' (or 'Viola has autism')

The latter feels like you're trying to separate the autism from the person to me but my autism (along with every other aspect of who I am such as my ethnicity, gender identity, sexuality, etc.) are all inherently part of what makes me me, y'know?

Of course, at the end of the day, how someone wants to be referred is what's most important and don't try to force how you think they should be called on them.

It doesn't really matter to me. And it's not up to me to decide what other people should or can say. Autistic, person with autism, I don't have a problem with it. It's not something people often say to me anyway, it makes no difference.

New Threads

Top Bottom