• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Man in Jail for Talking to Some Kids

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
A Philadelphia area man with autism is being held on $100,000 bail for talking to some children.

The man, Daniel Lee, 26, of Wayne, PA, spoke to a group of three siblings, 8, 9 and 10 on Wednesday, asking them about their school and telling them he was on his way to a cabin in the woods. It’s unclear if he told the kids he wanted them to join him or not. (News accounts differ: See this and this.)

He walked off then found and talked to the kids again 20 minutes later near Wayne Elementary School, whereupon the children’s mom saw him and called the police. The police found the man in just two minutes.

Why so fast? My guess is because he was not a crafty creep trying to elude the authorities. He is a man with a disability that makes it hard for him to interact like a “normal” man around kids, which is apparently to never interact with them at all, but run in the opposite screaming, “Get away! I hate kids! I am not a predator!”

Now, WPVI “Action News” reports, Lee is in jail, “charged with Attempting to Lure Children into a structure, which is in reference to his statements about a cabin, corruption of the morals of a minor, and harassment.”

Corruption of morals? Really? How, exactly? He doesn’t seem to have said anything salacious. And police say that at no time did Lee make any physical contact or even attempt to make physical contact with the children. Yet here’s how the news anchor played up the story:

The big story on Action News tonight is word of an attempted luring at a Radnor Township school and police have a suspect in custody.

My God, they make it sound as if the kids just barely escaped a depraved menace. As the “suspect’s” mom explained to the reporter — and police — Daniel has autism, and sometimes likes to talk to kids.

But, WPVI reports, “The police say…they can’t take any chances.” After all, here’s a grown man, living at home, with a part time job at a movie theater. That’s the big time! Why cut him any slack?

A psychiatric evaluation will be performed and I guess if it’s determined that Daniel’s parents are not making up their son’s diagnosis, perhaps the charges will be dropped.

But shouldn’t the charges be dropped for anyone facing such an accusation? Is it really a crime to talk to kids about a cabin in the woods if you never touch or attempt to touch or grab them? Wouldn’t that make it a crime to read “Little Red Riding Hood” to a kid who isn’t your own?

Daniel’s mom said that she will teach Daniel that what he did was wrong. Who will teach the police that it’s wrong to throw a man in jail as if he’s a rapist when he clearly has special needs and hasn’t done anything more than talk to some neighborhood kids?

This is actually part of a site against aberrant paranoia and ridiculous over-reactions. Today's feature had an autistic person. There were three links inside the article: [link] [link] [link]

And that, in a nutshell, is why I no longer involve myself with children who are not related to me by marriage or genetics.

He won't talk to kids any more. I think his mom's "teaching him" will be redundant.

It sounds like this is directly because of the kid's mom, and whatever twisted version of the story she presented to the police....

One of the comments after that story jumped out at me. "Rook" said:
"I have a lot of autistic friends. There are lots and lots of tales of how they’ve been wrongly arrested over many other things. And to top it off, autistic people are constantly badgered and harassed about how they should open up and socialize more so “normal” people aren’t so uncomfortable around them! Well apparently them talking to people also makes “normal” people uncomfortable"

Last edited:
Very sad that this is the age we live in, not every person that talks to a child is a paedophile, some people are just nice.

Last edited:
Also, let's remember that most pederasty (the actual action of pedophilia) is committed by a family member, not a stranger. That family member is usually a parent.

Also, let's remember that most pederasty (the actual action of pedophilia) is committed by a family member, not a stranger. That family member is usually a parent.
I hear more on grandparents or uncles. Especially uncles. But either way, yeah, anonymous attacks from strangers are very unusual.

This is actually part of a site against aberrant paranoia and ridiculous over-reactions. Today's feature had an autistic person. There were three links inside the article: [link] [link] [link]
Sexism at it's finest. I guarantee this would not have been the case, had he been female. Men everywhere are singled out as being monsters, regardless of the situation. It's idiotic, but that's society for you.
"In a society where prejudice is prevalent, there can be no justice".

or the parish priest.
Statistically, usually the parent. But those instances where it was a priest, (and only some of those accusations were ever proven)...those got lots of media coverage. Never has a pederast parent gotten that kind of coverage.

Sexism at it's finest. I guarantee this would not have been the case, had he been female. Men everywhere are singled out as being monsters, regardless of the situation. It's idiotic, but that's society for you.
"In a society where prejudice is prevalent, there can be no justice".
When it comes to children, yes men are singled out as being monsters. I

I'm not sure what you mean by "everywhere" or "regardless of the situation". There are plenty of places and situations in which men are not considered monsters. But in places and situations where there are children, what you have said is true.
http://www.freerangekids.com/attempted-child-abduction-or-wait/
http://www.freerangekids.com/ban-children-from-santas-knee-says-child-safety-expert/
http://www.freerangekids.com/greeter-at-walmart-calls-911-on-dad-she-thought-was-a-kidnapper/

Last edited:
It's more or less become a social and even legal "taboo" for adults to socialize with children. A bit sad in some instances given that I'm inclined to think Aspies stand a much better chance of interacting with children without incident compared with adults.

But the possibility of being misunderstood is just too great. It's an exposure best avoided, IMO.

It's more or less become a social and even legal "taboo" for adults to socialize with children. A bit sad in some instances given that I'm inclined to think Aspies stand a much better chance of interacting with children without incident compared with adults.

But the possibility of being misunderstood is just too great. It's an exposure best avoided, IMO.
Very sad that this is the age we live in, not every person that talks to a child is a paedophile, some people are just nice.
The author of the site that the article is in says that she tells her children "You can talk to strangers, you just can't go off with strangers.

She also talks about how if a child is lost, they will need to trust strangers, because otherwise they are in more danger from the dangers that accompany their lost state than they are from most adults.
She also has stories about adults refusing to help a lost child or a child who needs help, because they're afraid of being mistaken for pedophiles.

There's another article on that site about a two year old child who got lost and eventually drowned. It turned out that a man had seen the child running around on the road, and had debated within himself about helping the kid, but had not done so because he was afraid people would mistake him for a pedophile. His fear-and society's paranoia-led to that child's preventable death.

There's another article on that site about a two year old child who got lost and eventually drowned. It turned out that a man had seen the child running around on the road, and had debated within himself about helping the kid, but had not done so because he was afraid people would mistake him for a pedophile. His fear-and society's paranoia-led to that child's preventable death.

Well, a seemingly lost child might be an exception. But even then such circumstances may tax "Good Samaritan" laws with an aggressive District Attorney.

If I thought a child was lost I'd be more likely to immediately contact the authorities and ask them how to handle the situation in real-time until they actually get there. Establish transparent goodwill and intent from the start rather than wait for others to interpret the event. It all depends on the circumstances I suppose.

Last edited:
I work in education (non-teaching role) and we're trained to be vigilant. We told that even if we only have a slight nagging doubt at the back of our minds that a child is suffering somehow then we should report it. This may lead to nothing or it may lead to a child being rescued.
But, how can we separate paranoia from reality? It saddens me that men are singled out, however predators don't wear a sign around their necks. I used to volunteer in a children's hospice. There was a man who was found to have child images on his phone. It gives me chills knowing how close he was to vulnerable children.
Also, we told to challenge any strangers we see on school site. This happened to me once in the After School Club. Another member of staff told me that there was a strange man wandering around the car park. So, I gathered my courage ready to chase this man away even if he was really creepy, I got to the door...and it was my Dad come to pick me up :oops: I told him off :p But, we right to be on our guard.
In recent years in the UK there have been a shocking number of abuse cases revealed which, along with hospice incident, has shaken my faith in humanity. I don't hate men or even distrust them in general, even after being harassed at school, college, work and on buses. And I do feel bad that innocent men are held in suspicion. Arresting the autistic man was an over reaction. But, I'm afraid I have to remain vigilant. Predators could be anyone anywhere.

Hmmm, the whole situation sounds a bit off. While I am inclined to believe it was in fact a misunderstanding, I can understand the parents concern. We unfortunately live in an age where attacks on children are so prevalent, that I am not surprised by this outcome. Also, we can't just assume he is innocent either just because he's an aspie. Ill-intent does not exclude any type of person.

Re-reading the articles you posted one clearly says, he knew he it wasn't good to be talking to children under 10, also it says he'd gotten in trouble for similar even before. So we have to take everything with a grain of salt. I don't think he meant any harm, but I don't think the children's mother's concern is unfounded either.

Last edited:
You want to talk about a catch 22? I think this qualifies as one.

I once found a very small girl,about two years old,wandering the streets that posed quite a dilemma for me. As much as I cared for the kid's safety,I was very reluctant to gather her up due to the possibility of the parents or neighbors having a major tizzy about it and calling me a predator. The local police were called while I entertained her on a sidewalk and they passed the kid over to youth services until they identified the mother. She was a junkie passed out on a heroin binge at the time.They released the girl to her mother the same day.Her mom eventually lost the girl who ended up with foster parents after repeated similar stunts later on.

Okay, I just want to put in my two cents here. It's no secret that men are, in general, more often accused of being sexual offenders of youth than women are, AND I hear all kinds of things like how men think about sex every seven seconds. As a 32-year-old male virgin, I'm more than a little bitter about this. Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of human children myself. Human babies frustrate me with their crying and messing diapers and stuff like that, so I'm not about to volunteer in a nursery. But my mom worked in one, and she said that men in the nursery weren't allowed to change diapers or be alone with any children. As many things about them that bug me, babies are the smallest and most innocent of humanity, and it burns me up that women are allowed to look at them in public, but I'm not. Not every adult male is Micheal Jackson. I'm sure that some guys just want to be friendly. (Sigh) Paranoia...

New Threads

Top Bottom