• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and hospitalization

Mia

V.I.P Member
In the last three months, someone I care for greatly has been hospitalized with recurring illnesses unrelated to autism. In this last instance there was an operation. Each time I go to hospital there's a loss of privacy for this person along with sensory and physical depredations that continue throughout the day.

The loss of privacy and autonomy makes this an awful situation for someone with autism, and leads to agitation, anxiety, turmoil and restlessness. The person is not sleeping, and the hospital doses them with sleeping pills. There was an incident in which the person became extremely agitated, and they secured the limbs and gave a psychotic drug to calm them. The person wanted a heavy blanket to stay calm and warm.

The hospital does not allow personal linens or blankets from outside the hospital, which need to be sterilized in areas like the Intensive care unit.

Yet I know that this would make a great deal of difference to this person. But in order to get the hospital to agree, I would have to mention autism, which I'm reluctant to do. In fact, a person with known autism was in a hospital room and he had a twenty-four hour guard, to protect staff.

What is your opinion on this conundrum that I find myself in? How can I circumvent the hospital's regulations? Should I?

The blanket will and has in the past speeded recovery and comfort in a very sterile environment.

Really strict hospital:eek:. My sister was able to bring in anything she wanted into a pretty sterile floor where her immune system was going to be non-existent for a time. They allowed all the patients to bring their own blankets because it helps anyone to recover quicker when they have a few comfort items. Sorry the hospital is making it so difficult. Perhaps you could say this person has severe anxiety instead? Anxiety doesn't scare people the way autism sometimes does. Hope this person gets well soon. Hospitals are horrible places to get stuck.

In the last three months, someone I care for greatly has been hospitalized with recurring illnesses unrelated to autism. In this last instance there was an operation. Each time I go to hospital there's a loss of privacy for this person along with sensory and physical depredations that continue throughout the day.

The loss of privacy and autonomy makes this an awful situation for someone with autism, and leads to agitation, anxiety, turmoil and restlessness. The person is not sleeping, and the hospital doses them with sleeping pills. There was an incident in which the person became extremely agitated, and they secured the limbs and gave a psychotic drug to calm them. The person wanted a heavy blanket to stay calm and warm.

The hospital does not allow personal linens or blankets from outside the hospital, which need to be sterilized in areas like the Intensive care unit.

Yet I know that this would make a great deal of difference to this person. But in order to get the hospital to agree, I would have to mention autism, which I'm reluctant to do. In fact, a person with known autism was in a hospital room and he had a twenty-four hour guard, to protect staff.

What is your opinion on this conundrum that I find myself in? How can I circumvent the hospital's regulations? Should I?

The blanket will and has in the past speeded recovery and comfort in a very sterile environment.

I'm sorry to hear you and your friend have to deal with this. Hospitals are always drugs first / shoot first ask questions later.

Maybe multiple hospital sheets will have a similar effect to a heavy blanket?

What I do when I can't have my weighted blanket with me is I rap myself in my sheet or another blanket or often my sleeping bag (because that is my bedding) as tight as possible and while it is not a weighted blanket it does help a bit, another way to do this if you have someone there to do it for you is to tuck the sheets under the mattress but make it really tight.....I don't know I just thought it could be a doable alternative in this situation using what you already have.

Try to engage the nurses, or if possible the doctor, in a conversation to discuss this. I realize it varies widely per hospital and even more so per country, but I’m used to talking with patients and their family regularly (outside of daily medical checkup) to discuss the current treatment regimen and any problems that may be occurring at the moment. Anxiety is one of the things I always talk about, because I’m hesitant to add more medication unless absolutely necessary. I would be very happy if my patient or one of their loved ones told me a weighted blanket helped, and would definitely allow it.

I'd talk to someone first or maybe try papillon's suggestion before you tried circumventing anything. Also might be a good idea to ask your friend what he wants too.

Is there a sterile equivalent the hospital could provide?

Mention the benefit to previous recovery a weighted blanket has provided for the patient (without disclosing autism)

Get creative with the sterile hospital equipment?
Apply the principles using sterile materials?

Is there a sterile equivalent the hospital could provide?

Unfortunately not, there are light sterile cotton sheets and flannel sheets. Would have to combine about five to ten of them for any weight. The hospital rooms are overheated and quite warm. It isn't about warmth, but more about a somewhat heavy weight that would make the person feel safe and secure.

Apply the principles using sterile materials?

It would require sterilizing a weighted blanket, which is filled with plastic bead-like pieces. And only the hospital could do that.

Anxiety is one of the things I always talk about, because I’m hesitant to add more medication unless absolutely necessary. I would be very happy if my patient or one of their loved ones told me a weighted blanket helped, and would definitely allow it.

I wish you were his Doctor, unfortunately it doesn't work that way in my province, or in this case with the ICU staff. Doctors tend toward being quite authoritarian and don't talk to family unless they want information or history.

I would ask the staff for extra blankets or linen, and then fold it and place it on top of him/her to provide the sensation of weight, or otherwise tuck it in tightly around him.

I was in Hospital for a few days when I was about 11, having my Wisdom teeth took out. Before that, I had Pneumonia aged about 9 months old, and ended up in the Children's Hospital for a while.

Isn't unnecessary sedation illegal? I don't know where you live but none of this would be allowed here. I was in hospital for 6 hours yesterday going through all manner of tests; they knew I was autistic and they were great about it. I'd definitely be checking up on the laws here.

I'd definitely be checking up on the laws here.
It's Canada, where the Napoleonic code is the rule of law in these kinds of civil matters. There is a medical code of ethics, that all subscribe to, the "do no harm" code. Discovered today that they sedated him, to keep him from pulling out the IV's and tube in his throat and nose, which would have harmed him. Today he has fewer of them, and simply has wait until they are removed in the next few days.

Last edited:
This is not the UK, it's Canada, specifically Quebec where the Napoleonic code is the rule of law in these kinds of civil matters. There is a medical code of ethics, that all subscribe to, the "do no harm" code. Discovered today that they sedated him, to keep him from pulling out the IV's and tube in his throat and nose, which would have harmed him. Today he has fewer of them, and simply has to be patient until they are removed in the next few days.
Fair enough, I read it as they were sedating him just because he was being "annoying".

I'm so sorry that this person has these medical problems have led to intubation. That is rough for anybody--ASD could make the sensation of the Endotracheal tube almost unbearable. I'm sending my positive thoughts and wishes for fast improvement and no more complications. It is so nice that he has your support.

New Threads

Top Bottom