• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and good hearing ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I was just curious if Aspies have abnormally good hearing of could have really good hearing ? Does anyone here have this ?

I guess even though I have trouble recognizing people's faces, I have really good hearing... I remember taking hearing tests when I was still in grade school as well as some possible IQ tests or some sort of assessment tests for Autism or Learning disorders. This was before I've gotten an official diagnosis but I can't remember everything that lead up to it, so the teachers could've known for some time and urged my mother to look into it...

Anyways, I remember people saying that Mel Blanc was good at voice acting cartoon characters and that he could disguise his voice very well but I sort of hear a faint similarity between all the characters lol

Please please please tell me that you dislike fireworks as much as me?!? Good god, the 4th of July is the worst holiday. It is my nemesis. It seems to come so goddamn quick every year, too. My earliest memory is being scared by the loudness of fireworks. People have made fun of me my whole life for being afraid of fireworks, but I'm not afraid of them! I just never knew how to explain it. Once I realized that I had Aspergers, literally everything made sense. And it's not just fireworks, it's guns, explosions, balloons popping, loud movies in theaters.

I think the term, at least so far as i go personally, is hypersensitive hearing. Apparently lot of aspies and/or those on the spectrum have sensory sensitivities. Like even when i was a baby i had a naturally heavy walk/run, loud enough that we'd get complaints from the people living below us. But i've always been sensitive to loud noises. Textbooks being dropped on the tile floor, even, would make me jump. People always thought i was just scared by loud noises when i'd startle at them but it was really just cause they were loud.

Please please please tell me that you dislike fireworks as much as me?!? Good god, the 4th of July is the worst holiday. It is my nemesis. It seems to come so goddamn quick every year, too. My earliest memory is being scared by the loudness of fireworks. People have made fun of me my whole life for being afraid of fireworks, but I'm not afraid of them! I just never knew how to explain it. Once I realized that I had Aspergers, literally everything made sense. And it's not just fireworks, it's guns, explosions, balloons popping, loud movies in theaters.
Oh my god YES, when I was a kid I'd hide inside when the neighbors would fire off fireworks, even though I really wanted to see them. It sucked. :(
I'm more able to deal with it now, but I still can't go to a gun range and I always have to brace myself if I know a loud noise is about to happen.
Does anyone else get a horrible feeling of impending disaster when surrounded by unbearably loud, ongoing noise? Sometimes I have to leave a situation because I can get awful false "premonitions" of something deadly happening in the midst of the cacophony, to the point that I'm convinced it'll happen. (it never does)

I've always thought I had bad hearing despite being able to hear entire conversations in other rooms, all because I often have a hard time understanding people when they talk to me. Now I'm realizing that it's not that I'm not hearing things, I'm just not able to process them correctly sometimes.

My hearing has gotten less keen over the years (maybe I am better at anticipating them) but a sudden loud noise can still make me jump and small sounds like a dripping tap or someone mouth-breathing seem louder to me than others and drive me wild. As a kid I hated loud sudden noises especially the sound the air-breaks of trucks and the car alarm of my grandmother's Mini Cooper (I used to burst into tears and cover my ears when it went off, but I was alright with fireworks, just over excited), I think partially its keen hearing and partially that awful sense of anticipation (which I still feel) that makes it seem louder and worse.

Sometimes unexpected things make me jump scare, at night everything seems way louder, and even at day I can hear sirens a few miles/ kilometers away. At night my hearing is especially sensitive, sounds that normally aren't loud at all like the toilet flushing than really hurt my ears.

I got my ears tested and have proof I hear much higher and lower than average. I'm, note surprisingly, into music and recording technology in a big way! Always been into sound.

All my life I was able to hear far better than everyone else. People were frequently amazed when I heard something that they couldn't hear. I was very sensitive to loud, harsh noises. My ears have rung constantly since I was in elementary school, but still, my hearing was acute. I am now 70 and my high frequency hearing is very diminished. I have hearing aids. If I don't wear them I have to frequently ask people to repeat something. I think it is particularly sad that my gift of such acute hearing is being taken from me. I am amazed that the constant ringing hasn't driven me crazy. I have always tried to make myself ignore the ringing. First, that nasty problem, and now diminished hearing but the ringing continues. When I was a baby I had repeated ear infections. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with AS.

I never really thought that I was hypersensitive to sound but now I'm starting to see that I am. For example I can't sleep with the door open because I sense when people are there and I spring up from my bed with my eyes wide open (thats really embarrassing when I'm at a friends house and there mum is quietly doing chores around the house). Also when my family or a friend is talking about someone who is 400 meters away or further I am worried that they are going to hear them.

The wierd thing is that although I hear really well I sometimes appear to be deaf because I can't block out background noises so when people talk to me I hear a jumble of words with noises and I can't process what they have said. I think that I might have APD (Auditory Processing Disorder).

I remember taking the hearing tests too and when I got done they asked how I could still hear it and I didn't know I just can. I can also hear electrical outlets humming especially when something is plugged into one. Since my hearing is like this it also allows for an easy sensory overload causing meltdowns...

I guess even though I might have hyper hearing, I often can't make out the lyrics to songs. Like for example the song Rock me Amadeus sounded like "Hot potatoes" to me. The same went with the song Blue (da ba dee) where I heard "I'm blue ,Enema a guy" ... Does this happen to you guys as well ?

I guess even though I might have hyper hearing, I often can't make out the lyrics to songs. Like for example the song Rock me Amadeus sounded like "Hot potatoes" to me. The same went with the song Blue (da ba dee) where I heard "I'm blue ,Enema a guy" ... Does this happen to you guys as well ?
I do this as well and I think it's because my brain is processing the sounds in the actual music rather than the lyrics and sometimes listening to songs is too much for me to handle.

I do this as well and I think it's because my brain is processing the sounds in the actual music rather than the lyrics and sometimes listening to songs is too much for me to handle.

I see, you're probably like me and listen to the actual music rather than the lyrics :D This would explain my weird list of songs as I like songs based off of the music or if it's from a time period I obsess over like the 80's and early 90's...

My musical taste in genre is rather random because of this as well.

When I thirteen I discovered piano chords because my mother bought me a keyboard piano for Christmas :D I loved the way minor chords sounded with some of the major ones and I love stepping them down too lol

I see, you're probably like me and listen to the actual music rather than the lyrics :D This would explain my weird list of songs as I like songs based off of the music or if it's from a time period I obsess over like the 80's and early 90's...

My musical taste in genre is rather random because of this as well.

When I thirteen I discovered piano chords because my mother bought me a keyboard piano for Christmas :D I loved the way minor chords sounded with some of the major ones and I love stepping them down too lol

That's what I usually do. If I want to listen to the words..I can't listen. I have to mute the computer and find a lyric video.

I've always wanted to play piano just because of the way it sounds. Mine is the same way except...time periods I obsess over don't have music (dinosaur periods..)

The genres I like vary as well and so when people just randomly ask what genre I like, I stress out because I don't know how to answer.

Oh my god YES, when I was a kid I'd hide inside when the neighbors would fire off fireworks, even though I really wanted to see them. It sucked. :(
I'm more able to deal with it now, but I still can't go to a gun range and I always have to brace myself if I know a loud noise is about to happen.
Does anyone else get a horrible feeling of impending disaster when surrounded by unbearably loud, ongoing noise? Sometimes I have to leave a situation because I can get awful false "premonitions" of something deadly happening in the midst of the cacophony, to the point that I'm convinced it'll happen. (it never does)

YES. I have always wanted to be able to go hang out with people and watch fireworks. I sit inside and stare through the window and envy all the people having a great time, not even seeming to notice how loud it is. I guess I am a little bit more able to deal with loud noises now, but I do have to brace myself, like you. Like, I love going to rock concerts, but I am always aware and kind of afraid that the show will involve a big explosion or boom, which it usually does. I can usually tell when that is about to happen, so I cover my ears. But everyone else is like what the hell is this weirdo doing?

Not too many 4th of July's ago, I was simply walking inside my house from my car (my dad had some friends over and they were drinking and lighting off fireworks). As soon as I exited my car, I yelled "I'm coming over, DONT light off any fireworks!"

You can guess what happened next. Someone lit off a firework right next to me when I wasn't ready and I immediatly burst into tears, ran inside and hid in my room. The good thing about this is, most dogs feel the same way that we do, so I just hang out with them.:)

That's what I usually do. If I want to listen to the words..I can't listen. I have to mute the computer and find a lyric video.

I've always wanted to play piano just because of the way it sounds. Mine is the same way except...time periods I obsess over don't have music (dinosaur periods..)

The genres I like vary as well and so when people just randomly ask what genre I like, I stress out because I don't know how to answer.

Those lyric videos on Youtube are a great help for that :D I have to occasionally find a video of a song with the lyrics because I fear that I might sound like an idiot when I sing it out loud ...

I play a little piano but not quite an expert yet and I can tell you it's difficult and takes a lot of concentration, kind of juggling in a way when your trying to keep up the rhythm and beat. I can't play it as much because of the possibility of having carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand since my pinky likes to stick out away from the other fingers.

When someone asks me what genre I like, I tell them the good ones or any or all :D

Yeah, even for my age I can hear pretty well....sensing the highs between 15 and 16khz and lows down to 30 hz. I'd have never kept track of such things had I not had a graphic equalizer in one of my stereo receivers!

My neighbor enjoys playing his country music with the bass turned up all the way. It is so loud and distracting that I can't get anything done. I can like feel the bass in my stomach or something. Eventually I went and asked them politely to turn it down and they did-a tad. But yeah, I'm not one for bass either, and that was a big thing in high school, for everyone to have subs in their car and turn the bass up high. I could never stand it.

My neighbor enjoys playing his country music with the bass turned up all the way. It is so loud and distracting that I can't get anything done. I can like feel the bass in my stomach or something. Eventually I went and asked them politely to turn it down and they did-a tad. But yeah, I'm not one for bass either, and that was a big thing in high school, for everyone to have subs in their car and turn the bass up high. I could never stand it.

Yep. I must have posted a dozen times here about the neighbors and their subwoofers. Sometimes technology really sucks. Simply put, sustained low frequencies drive me nuts.

Yep. I must have posted a dozen times here about the neighbors and their subwoofers. Sometimes technology really sucks. Simply put, sustained low frequencies drive me nuts.

Technology always sucks when it's misused and yeah I agree that boom booms drive me nuts as well :| That's what I call the noise pollution when people use their speakers for the loud bass for their own benefit while polluting the area with loud Booms :(

New Threads

Top Bottom