• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Religion

I was baptised into the Anglican religion but my parents never attended church (except for weddings and funerals). I went to Roman Catholic schools from 5 - 12 and when I was 21 converted into that church but gradually lost my faith in christianity and about ten years ago became a Wiccan and ever since have felt that this is the right path for me.

I was raised as a catholic, but in a very loose way. My parents took me to church when I was very young, but then they stop. I think they didn´t really believe but they wanted to give me an my brother a choice. I didn´t care much for religion, but when I was 18 I started to get really intrested. I read books about the life of Jesus and started to go to church by myself, I always choosed a week day, so church wouldnt be full. I had troubles believing but I really envied the faith some people had and wanted to belive that God was me all the time. I really tried. For a short period of time I think I made it, and I can say that I felt great, but it didn´t last much. That interest for religion comes and goes, the last time was maybe 3 years ago. Maye I´m too rational in that sense, I don´t know, but I just can´t, or I troubles make in it reasonable. But I´m not closed to the idea that therer´s a superior being, Many times I think I can feel and I´m certan, but try not to think much of ot because I start to become obsesed with it and fear things, and generally it makes me more anxious than cal. But I think that faith can be a great thing, and I truly admire real spiritual people.
I didn´t mean to say "god was me all y the time", I meant "god was with me all the time".

Did you grow up in a religious household?
Yes...my parents divorced when I was 7. My dad was very conservative religious...like, no-musical-instruments-in-worship conservative. My mom was charismatic...like, speaking-in-tongues, healing, deliverance charismatic. So one weekend I would go to church with her, and the next weekend on visitation I would go to church with my dad. Made for some, um, "interesting" conversations.

What role does religion play in your life?
God has been my longest-term obsession, lol. I get up in the morning because of my pursuit of Him.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?
Weekly church meetings at a very small, charismatic church. Also weekly small group meetings, and just about anything else they offer. It's a very small group, but very tight-knit.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "quirky"?
A little bit of everything. We've only been at this church for 2 years, where I've finally begun to truly feel accepted. Before that, most groups we tried treated me as an outsider.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
I think none of us is "normal"...we all need unconditional love, because none of us can earn the love we need. That's what I think about "spirituality". "Religion", though...I think Aspies probably have a harder time accepting standard religions, but I'm really kinda new to this diagnosis, so still lots to learn...

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?!
I'm more of a Messianic/charismatic. So...gifts of the Spirit, heart-to-heart/real relationship with the Person of God...along with embracing His laws as a gift/owner's manual to life. I've not "arrived" with those goals, but that's where I'm aiming, so to speak.

Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!
Great thread, thanks for starting it!

Yes

I go to church at least once a week and pray / meditate every day and meet with a small group from church every two weeks. Also I've done self-help type courses through church.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?

Yes, to the extent that I can since I can barely socialize. but I try to talk to people at church although it's hard for me.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?

The pharisees / churchie people don't really like anyone weird and tend to judge people who seem impolite (which I do because I'm not social). But some people are nice and accepting, especially when I'm honest about having aspergers.

Yes I think the Garden of Eden was a parallel universe :D

Did you grow up in a religious household?I
No.

None... the only experiences I have had with religion come from attending a Church of England primary school, where we would sing christian songs once a week and were supposed to pray at the end of assembly. The majority of the school didn't actually take part in the prayers, myself included. I also attended a Baptist wedding last year, but I spent the service reading a novel because it was really boring.

No, but I think if I was religious it would be a solitary thing for me.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?

Erm, well as pretty much everyone I know is atheist, I can't really make generalisations... a lot of people reject me, many are completely indifferent, some just think I'm a little odd.

I suppose thinking that religion is superstitious nonsense (sorry, not trying to be offensive, just being honest:coldsweat:) may be unconventional in some countries, but here it's the norm... so no.

Yes. I'm Jewish, and I follow what has been called Karaite Judaism. It is basically a "by the bible only" version of Judaism.

I find having religion gives me some peace and knowledge that there is more than just me. I enjoy the "rules" of Judaism. There are things Gd wants me to do and I try my best to do them. I think like most aspies, I find comfort and peace in the rules.

Solitary, I don't like crowds or classroom settings. I've been trying to find friends that share my beliefs. but so far, not yet.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "quirky"?
Accepted, but of course quirky.

I don't know how much of a difference there is. But I see I am able to accept the rules easier than most people who want to question everything. I don't get into the touchy feely lovey part of religion like most people do, I enjoy the simple logical approach to it, & I'm comfortable with that.

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?
Well, jesus doesn't have a part in Judaism, but no, no unconventional views that I know of.

Fascinating! I've been wanting to find a thread so I could tally up what Aspies favor, but I've been scared to since internet and religion don't mix well.

Yes. My parents took us to church every Sunday and Wednesday. Both sets of grandparents also go every Sunday. But my first church was not a good church. Wednesday is still my least favorite day of the week because there was this one idiot that had to flap his gums every single service and make it last an hour or more longer than was necessary, and that royally sucked for us had to get up at five or six in the morning for school or work. Inconsiderate bastard even went so far to say as any of us who didn't appreciate being at church even for his little shows was a bad Christian. All he ever talked about was his peach trees, fruit stand, and his kid that got ran over when he was five. I'm sorry your kid died, I'm glad your business is successful, but sit down and shut up if you have nothing constructive to contribute! We don't need to hear it twice a week for 45+ minutes at a time! Go to a therapist like a normal person.
When I was about 13, my dad became fed up with him (and other wonderful people there) and dropped out. My mom took me and my sister to a different place for a few years, but eventually they quit too. My sister and I have very sporadically visited a few places on our own, I even went with one of my grandparents for a year or two, but we're all pretty much done with "organized" religion and favor a more personal approach.
While I was raised Southern Baptist, I am now some odd mix of Taoist and Christian. May not work for anybody else, but works for me.
Eventually I will start visiting again, but for research purposes. Culture, religion, fantasy, myth, and folklore should all probably be considered part of my obsessions and I would enjoy observing all the different faiths I have access to.

Nothing too major. I've picked up a few things I enjoy here and there, like giving thanks on seasonal changes for whatever's happened in the past three months. I enjoy praying. I don't ask for favors though, it feels too weird. And there are a few role models from various places I respect like Gandi, Buddha, and Jesus. At the core of all religions I've studied it's "be nice" and that can't be such a bad thing if they're all saying it.

Kind of? Personal stuff is done personally. But I enjoy studying other faiths, so it's not uncommon for me to go find a religious forum of whatever I'm currently studying. Some I leave due to war and attacks because everybody gets really bitter and angry immediately after bloodshed and I don't want the uncomfortable position of picking a side in a dispute I don't want to be involved in.

Quirky and rejected. Part of why I stopped going on my own. There's only so many times you can be told that you're "so out there" or "just keep your mouth shut" before you get your belly full and leave.

I don't know, I wasn't aware there was a difference.

Nothing that wasn't established already. I'm not the only one with a creation/evolution mixed theory and I'm also not the only one that think women were meant to be more involved in church than they are before early Christians started kissing Roman butt, and Romans of that era were known for their dislike of women since they in turn were obsessed with Ancient Greeks.

But one of my favorites to come across was from one fellow that believed that Satan made the dinosaurs and cavemen, both of which died in the Great Flood because God would not allow the Devil's creations to live. I don't agree with it for a minute, but it was an interesting thought.

This could be a most fascinating thread. Since it seems that many people who share Aspie traits feel that Aspie is genetic.
Here is another thing that may be linked to biological factors.
God gene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"...2) the underlying tendency to spirituality is partially heritable; " (therefore, non believers, please be patient with the believers.....)
May I suggest a poll Theist , Agnostic, Atheist ? attach to this thread??? What does a logical Aspie choose? I'm not sure how Aspie I am.....

Yes, Born to very Catholic Christian family. My Grandmother's sister is a real honest to goodness nun in a convent!
What role does religion play in your life? 13 yrs old, I was all OCD about it. I was afraid I would die and/or go to Hell if I did not click the light switch 100 times (example) or tap the top of the door in my bedroom (where no one could view the rituals because on some level I "knew" it was wrong and "crazy" but could not stop the compulsive behavior stuffs yet., Later, Decided that being trapped by OCD was the very definition of Hell, so, cognitive behavior therapy helped me. - but I Did not know the word for that until years later in therapy.) More life stuff rambles throughout this post. Thank you for your patience!
Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? I was 20 something years old, I hope I learned a more healthy balance. I Loved to attend RCIA religious classes led by the Priest. Yes, There were other people present in the classes. If I recall the words, the Priest said his personal opinion was that evolution, dinosaurs "definitely a possibility", reincarnation of animal souls, maybe? Most of all, I learned the Bible based reasons behind the Catechism of the Catholic church. I love to share them with people who wish to listen. I love to bring (generic) hope to suicidal people, and religious inspiration if they request it. One of my special interests/great hobbies, yes, I joined Yahoo Answers online forum COMMUNITY of people, back in the day when it was rapid fun questions. I loved to describe how Catholic Christianity is Christian of the main tree trunk of Christianity. How the other branches grew from it. How divorce destroys. How I love babies, how I love life, in general, ...... I have very close Atheist friends/family. I would think that they respect and love life most of all, since they only get one life to live. I would hope they would live for altruism, community, charity. I LOVE that stuff! I want to LIVE that kind of life! Not cuz the church wants it, but because I want it! Unfortunately, science, seems to have me "plagued" by "sinful" lustful subconscious dreams of lesbians by night, sometimes. By day, I was pleasing my religious family, pretending to be normal or straight, also, kind of hoping for Prince Charming to marry me forever. I think the Catholic Church, organized religion, has issue with bisexual me, enjoying the dreams that "plague" me. Luckily, I'm not participating actively in "sin" because I am totally celibate for, ah, er, decades. (this is not related to church issues. heh. There are tons of other reasons for choices of celibacy. I love Gandhi! Maybe lust is something lower, base, animal instinct, maybe lust is to be conquered? I don't know.)
Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? To quote Harrison54, SO TRUE: "People in general find me quirky so I doubt it is because of my faith."
Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Could a person suppose that the entire Catechism of the Catholic church rather Aspie? with all the OCD style rituals? Prayers of 10, prayers of 5, repeat prayers of 10, .... Why has this thread reached 9 pages without someone mentioning this simple observation? (not meant to upset followers. I LOVE Catholic! I'm Catholic! I think!) This is my unconventional view. (how I deal with dichotomy of being born Catholic, and also born with bisexual "sinful" inclinations). In my land, they have a word for this unconventional non conforming viewpoint. They call it Cafeteria Catholic. (pick and choose which beliefs to support)....... sighs..... (maybe due to the past OCD). I'm not much for prayers. Maybe God is more of the observing type? I loved to share vegan food with the Seventh Day Adventist Christians. They brought my OCD some relief when they told me Romans "wages of sin is death/grave." Consider , that, maybe, just maybe, no mere human is evil enough for Hell? Maybe Hell is reserved only for the Devil and his minion? Revelations does speak of the Devil as received God's mercy because even everlasting torment is too much, so God destroys the devil in a lake of fire? Unconventional thoughts to ponder!
I did study a tiny bit of philosophy, Kant, Theist, Hindu and JAIN!!! I LOVE life! I am confused vegan. Sustainable, Environmental causes interest me. Maybe I have too much empathy? I wish animals could all be happy, healthy, cage free, organic, etc. It's really a VERY very very important focus of my life! healthy living!
Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I tend to be very positive. I can't NOT believe in God..... I feel it in every beautiful tree, every child hugging its mama, every glorious sunrise..... Even if the Atheists can't see it,.... I see God reflected in you. (in the actions of good cheer, good works, such as, even Atheists can donate blood, work in a food pantry, community , charity, 7 virtues ) I am very interested in good works and altruism. (not sure that I am very ASPIE???? ?!) maybe I want to study it. Maybe I wish for more of it? maybe it is a worthy goal to attain for all society? Altruism. Yeah, I like that...... I am interested in that!

Last edited:
Did you grow up in a religious household? Yes. Parents always forced me to go to church, sometimes Sunday school, occasionally a Christian summer school, and I was baptised. I never could stand one minute of any of it. I have nothing against it, but none of the experiences were positive and I just never felt good about being "forced" to go and participate in something I did not want or did not understand. Despite all of that, I do still have relatively Christian-like religious beliefs, however I'm very distrustful of organized religion. Best quote I ever heard, "Don't let religion get in the way of your relationship with God." That's pretty much my philosophy.

Very minimal. I don't pray, don't go to Church, etc.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Nope.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? Somewhat accepted, somewhat rejected.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? I frequently see a lot of irrationality from both types of people on the subject. Both for and against. Me, personally, I just shave with Occam's Razor. ;) For me, I look around the environment, the people I love, etc. and feel it's all far too amazing to simply be a big, random, mistake. Beyond that, I don't get too much into detail.

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Not really.

Did you grow up in a religious household? No. I grew up a naturalists, things coming about through natural processes. I became a degree geologist. The Lord through His Spirit and Word turned me to Him.

The major focus of my life and things I do.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? All day, every day. Church is not a building but people who have turned to Him.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? In general, I have been well accepted.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? I'm learning like you.

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! None

I have a question for you all! Since I have known only a handful of lovely ASD people, I am curious as to how ASD people deal with the issue of religion (Christianity or not; I am a Christian UMC pastor, but I'm not trying to evangelize here, simply interested since it's one of my biggest interests, obviously!). Did you grow up in a religious household? What role does religion play in your life? Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Faith is a spiritual gift. Religion is hard for me because it means spending time with people whose logic I understand only to the degree that I share their actual values, which may not be their professed or confessed values. I don't like people who play the Faith card to justify not thinking things through, or who simplify things to justify disrespect to the dignity of other people. I have all the usual problems with noise, confusion, ad hoc changes of plan, and meetings...they feel driven by forces I'm always at the mercy of. I was driven out of a church group whose norms were both conventional and self-congratulatory, although the purpose of the group was a critical enquiry into both Scriptures.

So depending on whether you're focusing on the nature of God, what it means to walk in the Word, ecumenism, the Great Commission, or evangelism, my answers would change.

This topic is so important to me personally that I'm considering starting a group for spectrum people of faith at my current church. I will probably blog on it when I have more time.

Thank you for raising it, and thanks to the moderators for watching.

FWIW, I'm Episcopalian.

Did you grow up in a religious household? For the first 12 years or so. Then the family pretty much stopped attending church and such (catholic)

What role does religion play in your life? I am no longer strictly denominational. I consider myself a generic Christian, 1 ea. Its an internal set of guidelines and and source of hope when nothing else can be.

Yes, but in a very light fashion. The company of casual others is still mostly uncomfortable to me. I do attend some gatherings but enjoy getting together with other people just one on one best.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?
Mostly accepted, but with some issues still cropping up with a few individuals (as is the case in any situation with any people). My lack of adherence to any strict system or attitude usually is ok, as it is something that I would discuss with the various church leaders at an early stage.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? I don't see any specific difference other then what seems typical. In other words an ASD person brings to religion the same mindset they bring to anything else. So as you see differences between NT and ASD people in a job or hobby, etc, so you see some differences in how they participate in religion.

No. I mean I think about unconventional things frequently, but they are just my mind doing its usual imaginative thing. I don't truly know anything, as in have hard evidence. Its a spiritual thing and based on hope/faith, a choice to believe in something. I do not use it as the lingua franca with the world as a whole however. With most therefore I try and use the mutually agreeable base of logic, science, etc (which I also subscribe to).

I'm baptized Christian (Anglican church), but I don't follow the religion even though I chose to be baptized. I wasn't baptized until I was 10 years old, and my parents wee going to baptize my younger sister and asked me whether I wanted to be baptized as well. I was only 10, perhaps not mature enough to appreciate what it means to follow a faith. I agreed to it because I wanted to learn more, and I went along to Sunday school classes, but couldn't relate to it, it wasn't for me. If I had the same choice again, with what I know now, I would say no. But still, I'm grateful to my parents for respecting me by asking my opinion and giving me the choice. I think that following a religion should be through free choice and that decision should be made by the individual in early adulthood rather than by their parents at birth.

I have this insanely religious mom who's the nicest person I've ever met. I could never not be religious. It would break her heart.

Basically to summarize some of the questions: I was raised a Christian and currently am a Christian but I doubt Christianity and religion itself a lot. I'm not too overly religious though and I never have been.

I have a question for you all! Since I have known only a handful of lovely ASD people, I am curious as to how ASD people deal with the issue of religion (Christianity or not; I am a Christian UMC pastor, but I'm not trying to evangelize here, simply interested since it's one of my biggest interests, obviously!). Did you grow up in a religious household? What role does religion play in your life? Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

I went to Catholic schools for 12-Years. I hated it. My Mother is ethnically a Jew and my Father (Who has passed) was an Atheist; They said they sent me there for the education, not the religion.

I rejected it all completely, Christianity, and in fact I became a very radicalized Atheist around 14. I remained an Atheist until age 29 when I believe I had a direct intercession from God the Father. I did not get into religion right away, though.

Many years went by and I am now thankfully a Christian.

My family has never been big in religion. I used to be religious, but then after a break up I stopped. I felt too caged in and like I was being forced to do things. I rather think about it and try and make my own understanding of it all.

1. I grew up in a very Catholic household.
2. Religion has played no role (other than a curiosity) in my life for decades.
3. None of my ideas are unconventional to me :D
4. If anybody in the bible story was an aspie it would be Joseph - any NT male would have behaved very differently if he was not the father of the child.

From about 13 y.o. I became aware of how strange the behaviour of the parishioners was - priest says 'ABC' and congregation replies 'XYZ' and then kneel down etc...... I felt no connection to the congregation, but continued to mimic them.
At about age 16 y.o. I attended a religious retreat and imbued with all the 'pre-game' hype I was determined to believe in God (because I wanted to be like everybody else). I discovered I was unable to force myself to adopt a belief in something that I had no evidence to support and that was the last time I gave it much attention.

New Threads

Top Bottom