• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and OCD

I do. I find that my OCD gets worse if I am stressed. And, I've been really stressed lately. It all boils down to control issues for me. If my environment is not how I expect it, all those little OCD rituals and thoughts come to the front. A lot of times I have to take a "time out" to get the OCD under control so I can function. On the good side: my desk has stayed clean longer than normal.;)

Well, I am not officially diagnosed with Aspergers (or OCD for that matter) but I strongly believe i have OCD and much of my family displays the same symptoms. Even for small things I'll start to get really nervous and start to bounce/shake my leg, and rock. I get on and off exima from washing my hands too much. I'm also a hoarder and suffer from intrusive thoughts/ ruminations sometimes which comes with it's own little ritual.

My mum thinks I have OCD, but I think that what she is seeing is an Aspie tendency to enforce routines or insist on sameness or perfection. Though I dohave some quirks, like checking my mailbox everytime I pass the door, even though I know that the mailman has been and I have no mail.

I'm an NT with some OCD and ADHD. My therapist thinks this might be why I am able to relate to aspies so well and why so many feel comfortable around me and seek me out. She thinks that it's a commonality of traits.

I'm an NT with some OCD and ADHD. My therapist thinks this might be why I am able to relate to aspies so well and why so many feel comfortable around me and seek me out. She thinks that it's a commonality of traits.
A neurotypical person does not have any kind of mental abnormalities, such as autism, bipolar, or other alphabet soup like OCD, AD(H)D, SPD, DID, and so forth.
An allistic person is any person who does not have autism regardless of their neurotype.

You are an allistic neurodiverse person. And still quite welcome on the forum regardless of where you are on the NT/ND allistic/autistic grid. :)

A neurotypical person does not have any kind of mental abnormalities, such as autism, bipolar, or other alphabet soup like OCD, AD(H)D, SPD, DID, and so forth.
An allistic person is any person who does not have autism regardless of their neurotype.

You are an allistic neurodiverse person. And still quite welcome on the forum regardless of where you are on the NT/ND allistic/autistic grid. :)
Again, thanks.

My spouse has Asperger's and OCD, when he becomes stressed or nervous or has little sleep it becomes much worse than usual. He'll go from washing his hands six times, to twenty times and sometimes more. He'll play the same songs on his guitar over and over until his fingers bleed. Usually try to get him engaged in exercise, a day out, a favorite meal, keep a book that I know he'll really like too, for these times, and sometimes a favourite movie will keep him occupied for awhile.

It's more a matter of distraction that helps him; a change of habit, going outside, a new project, a new interest related to the ones he has. If there's a new direction to take in music or cycling or a book he likes, it seems to bring him out of the nervous, shaky state he is in.

His OCD reoccurs at stressful times in his life, usually work related, or before a trip of some sort. Sometimes the only thing that brings him back from that place, is taking him to a fair and going on the roller coaster with him. The excitement and fear of the roller coaster jolts him, and he comes back, shaky but somehow feeling more alive.
These are things that help me as well. It's really nice to see them written out like this.

Maybe a little. I never thought I did really but I read something the other day that is apparently indicative of OCD that I've done my whole life, which is counting everything with no regard for the number. When I drive or am passenger I will count either natural items coming out of the ground (trees) or man made items (mailboxes, telephone poles, street lights). Or I will kind of mentally group them in pairs and see if there is an odd number or even number before I get to my destination. Honestly I'm not sure what's up with that but I've done it at least since I was about 14-15, because I remember being nervous about getting my drivers license because I couldn't count and drive at the same time. I can now :)

Maybe a little. I never thought I did really but I read something the other day that is apparently indicative of OCD that I've done my whole life, which is counting everything with no regard for the number. When I drive or am passenger I will count either natural items coming out of the ground (trees) or man made items (mailboxes, telephone poles, street lights). Or I will kind of mentally group them in pairs and see if there is an odd number or even number before I get to my destination. Honestly I'm not sure what's up with that but I've done it at least since I was about 14-15, because I remember being nervous about getting my drivers license because I couldn't count and drive at the same time. I can now :)
Oh yeah, I did that too. I made it a 'game' where I had to get the number of streets/driveways on each side of the street to pair up and then they could cancel out. But if you go down a street where there are only some one one side, you have to keep count and then subtract when you get back to a place with streets/driveways on the other side. In some areas this was too challenging for me (keeping the 'backlog' in mind while still counting new pairs) and I counted sidewalks, telephone poles, etc. as 'optional' points.

My aspie friend had yet another variation, which I forget entirely. I just remember that she had her own 'driving game'.

Don't think i got ocd, but my mother sure got ocd though. the house i grew up in looks like one of those you see in hoarders. Don't think i got ocd atm, even though my appertment is a mess. Think that's more because of add or me being lazy. I know i need to clean, it's just i hate cleaning and many times lack the energy to do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom