• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Driving

i didnt learn to drive till i was 24. it was hard, failed my drivers test in the first 5minutes for speeding cuz i thought you were suppose to keep up with traffic.... i had always been scared, driving to me takes a lot of concentration that sometimes i just lack. I can drive myself to the store, gas station, work and maybe to a restaurant if i plan my route ahead of time, but for the most part i just use my car for work and my husband drives us when he's home. he knows how anxious driving makes me and i appreciate him stepping up to accommodate me. night driving is bad. the headlights completely blindside me and i am agitated and anxious by the time i get home.

driving has changed my life though. I am able to work at better jobs that are further away. wake up at a reasonable time to get ready for work, not having to rely on the bus or other people. being able to come and go as i please.

Cars were always a special interest to me and I am of the generation that driving was a rite of passage into adulthood. I feel my Aspergers is an advantage actually. I am totally aware of everything going on around me and am constantly adjusting for any eventually. It does get tiring driving in the city but out on the open road is heaven for me.

Here is my primary way I get around. Good old 1985 Honda Elite 250 scooter, 250cc, nice and quiet, light weight so easy for me to move around and quick enough to take on road trips. Its also automatic, so no clutch and shifting, just twist and go. To me a scooter is the perfect want to get around for an Aspie. Mike
20170716_210541.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom