• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

are you a night owl?

I used to. Not because I wanted to but because I'd get lost in hours of gaming that I didn't notice the time. Nowadays I have a routine when I'm in bed by 10:30 which has helped with sleep which I was struggling with a year ago.

I'm the same I stayed up recently watching Greek mythology documentaries on my iPad until 4am but I usually notice I usually am more active during the night.

My biorhythm is totally out of the window, yet it's what feels best for me. I feel more energetic and active between the early evening and when morning comes and get a bit more tired and a lot more cloudy thoughts during the day. I blame sensory overload during the day... I seem to have a bit of a disposition towards daylight... or bright lights for that matter. I wish I made it all up, but people being busy, loud noises, bright lights on end doesn't really do me many favors.

It's not to say I don't go out during the day; I actually have to, but I often try to do so when my energylevels are somewhat fine, meaning I often go out for groceries when stores just open at 8 am or when stores are about to close past 8 pm.

So, in a sense, being a nightowl... or even being nocturnal (as it seems to fit me more; whereas a nightowl means you probably stay up a bit late... my wake cycle seems to have done a full 180) is how I function and get stuff done.

My curtains usually close at sunrise and open in the evening, so at home I don't really have to deal with it being noon or anything when I'm awake.

And then there's sleep and the need for it... I don't do regular 24 hour cycles and usually sleep a few hours every other day... I try to fit that in during daytime as much as I can, but sometimes I'm exhausted and sleep at night, while I have to push myself with minimal energy levels throughout daytime again. It's not that I don't wake up well-rested, but an active daytime life just drains me so much more than being out and about at night doing things. It seems counterintuitive to force myself in a routine that doesn't work for me at all.

It's interesting though, since in general I don't have a problem sleeping... when I sleep, I sleep great, which is why I never felt the need to "fix" it. Aside from difficulties with potential jobs I can't really complain about my days so to speak. I'm not really suffering from any health issues by not being that much of a daytime person; just have to make sure I get some vitamin D in, since it's usually taken in through exposure of sunlight. For a while I thought if having inverse wake and sleep cycles was the issue, but my energylevels at night are crazy high and suitable enough for me to work out at 4 am or something.

The general thing for me however is, there are so many factors that come in here, both from being on the autism spectrum and personal preference which makes it a bit silly to "fix" nor did any therapist feel there was much wrong with it. Most societal rules seemingly don't apply to me anyway, since job prospects are out of the window, My circle of friends are night owls (just not as extreme as me), hence my social life is fine. I have no issues to sleep or lack serious executive functioning (except for those few things inaccessible at night) and my lack of sunlight probably helps me appreciate winter a lot more without suffering from some kind of seasonal affective disorder or something.

Depends. If I have to be up for work then I definitely go to bed early (between 9:00pm and 10:00pm) while if I don't have to be up for work or anything else in particular, I'm more then happy to stay up and occupy my time with watching films, playing games, etc. until my body tells me to call it a night.

I am just the opposite. I like to do things early in the morning. I always liked to go riding or golfing at first light, before it got hot. As a kid I delivered papers in the morning and was always done by 6:00 AM. These days I set my own schedule, but still am always up by 7:00 AM. If I get up later than that I get a nagging feeling that I am wasting daylight.

Not a night owl, I am at my most energetic and creative in the early morning. I have always had sleep problems unfortunately so sometimes I get up and read or go online and look up &/or research my interests from 2 a.m. - 4 a.m.

I used to be an all nighter,but now that I don't have to get up early,a typical day begins at 5 am and generally ends at 10 pm
I overslept this morning until 7:30 am :D

I am not by choice. I have always had difficulties sleeping, but when I was small I could survive on little sleep and would wake up at 6am regardless, then when I got to 7 or 8 I started really struggling to wake up in the mornings too. I tried to reset my sleeping patterns many times but it has never worked. I do get up with the kids very early but usually have to nap during the day, and even if I don't I still cannot sleep earlier than 3am :/

I usually go to bed at 2 AM and get up at 10:30-11. When I have one of my unfortunate 8 AM shifts, I go to bed at 11 PM and get up at 6:30 AM. I don't like turning in and getting up early at all, but I get off work early in the afternoon and the store's not too busy yet at that time, so given the option I'm not sure I'd want to stop going to work early. There are pros and cons to every shift.

Not me, I'm DEFINITELY a morning person. I have stayed up to the wee haours, but too Mich of that makes me irritable.

Definitely not. Left to my own devices, I'll wake up around 4 or 5 AM. (Why don't I leave myself to my own devices, anyway?)

I am more of a morning person than i night owl, but at times i do stay up most of the night doing things. For the most part, i like to get my sleep because if i dont then i am very tired and i get upset easier and more meltdowns happen.

With my work schedule I'm a morning person. It depends, if I'm trying to relax I will stay up later but normal I like to get my chores and whatnot done during the day.

I'm very much a nightowl. Sleep at 6am(these days 9am...), wake up at 4pm(sometimes 7pm).
Night is good, no noise, no disturb, except I would freak out when parents wake up and go to the washroom, I'm a hypersensitive and hypervigilance person.

New Threads

Top Bottom