• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

are you a night owl?

Yeah, if I didn't discipline myself and have to go to work / get the kids school run sorted I'd return to nocturnal.

Used to get pretty bad insomnia as a teen

Yes. I have been a night owl my entire life. It doesn't matter how hard I try to change my body clock....it doesn't work. I just end up sleep deprived until I give up.

Yes. I have been a night owl my entire life. It doesn't matter how hard I try to change my body clock....it doesn't work. I just end up sleep deprived until I give up.

I am the other way around, I have been a early riser all of my life. I think you are right about people having a "body clock" and you are not able to change it. If I have to stay up late, I am uncomfortable. I do not like it. I will be 71 next month and I still am always up by 6:00 AM. I have been this way all of my life and there is little that I can do to change it.

I've been watching myself with this pattern. In an attempt to be able to explain it to a medical professional when I'm asked about it.

Fresh air and decent exercise, eating food rich in trytophan or even staying awake for 24 hrs has little effect on when I feel like I want to sleep.
Generally speaking I sleep 04.00 - midday.
Or at least, that's when I feel naturally tired....(unless it's what I've unknowingly trained myself to do? Unsure?)

It's really peaceful during the night (rules out sensory issues) I feel more productive at this time. I don't appear to have a problem eating my lunch at 01.00hrs either?
The only drawback I can think of is the craving for masses of carbs.
I will eat some salads during daylight, I won't entertain them when it's dark (I have no explanation for this)

I'm a nightowl, always have been. As a kid I was fascinated by the night sky and city lights. I also always felt safest at night, like I felt too exposed in the daylight.

Most the time up before sunrise and usually I'm out before it gets real late real late...
Not enough sleep makes me feel foggy and drag around the next day.

Anyway... Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. : )

I sleep very sporadically and for just a few hours at a time, and I tend to go to sleep late and wake up early. I am most active at night and early in the morning. I occasionally sleep during the midday.
I have no explanation for this behaviour.

Yep, sure am. :) For some reason, I find myself tossing and turning if I force myself to go to sleep at a set time...I actually sleep better after I've allowed myself to carry on with what I'm doing into the wee hours of the night, until I hit complete exhaustion. At a certain point during the night, I'll get ready for bed, snuggle in and maybe read or look at my phone (which everyone says is a no-no if you're trying to fall asleep, but it's never really hindered the process for me) until I feel myself starting to doze off, and then I know it's officially time for sleep. Funny thing is, I don't really "sleep in," unless I've just been through a major transition (like arriving home from a vacation or something - I know vacations are supposed to be relaxing, but for someone who likes routine and their familiar surroundings and objects, it's not really) - I tend to wake up around the same time every morning (more or less) regardless of how late I stayed up the night before. I also try to get at least one half-hour nap in per day, so that helps too.

Am I a night owl?

*checks clock*

Yep!

Even when I had a job I always had trouble getting to bed on time and would sleep in as late as possible, even if that meant having to pay extra for a cab ride.

I have always been a night owl, and enjoy night time in general. I have a love for astronomy, and the night also gives me a sense of peace that daytime does not give me. One of these days, hopefully, I can get some more peaceful days to myself, but I will always enjoy night.

Yes though not as much as before. I used be nocturnal from 2012-2014. It took a lonnnnngggg time to become semi diurnal againI still stay up late or wake up wayy too early though.

New Threads

Top Bottom