• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are autistics mean?

As I mentioned in an anger thread, I have come to be more careful of what I would call "misfired indignation." That is, my anger would have been appropriate, if I heard correctly, but too many times, I did not (a communication issue).

And being angry (when appropriate) should not be automatically labeled as being "mean" (as long as one's response isn't particularly mean).

I rescued cats for years. I love to spoil the beings I love. Don't think I'm mean.

I can be vengeful :) But only in my head, and only when someone has been really awful. Then again: don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

And we can't do anything about stupidity.

First off: Your mom is a jerk. Sorry for being blunt.

While I am mean, that doesn't come from my Aspergers. As far as I know. I'm pretty sure I just have a temper problem piled on top of my myriad of other issues (Such as insecurity and narcissism).

Bullying isn't your fault unless you actively provoked someone. Like...It's so-and-so's fault they got mauled by a tiger because they kept poking the dang thing.

While i am not generally a mean gayspie, i do have a mean streak in my soul that i am not afraid to use to my advantage.

It is probably because of my continued and ongoing social exclusion by both other aspies and the wider community.

There's no such thing as a 'mean' baby. Babies are by necessity narcissistic as they learn the ways to get the things they require to survive. Basic needs such as food, comfort, affection, attention. These are things that all babies need to thrive.
I find it amusing that you said babies are necessity narcissistic. Very true. Being narcissistic also means the babies are not sorry about how this effects others and they don’t feel guilty about it.

I can be cold and unfeeling some times, for example, one Wednesday afternoon in September 2016, Mum told me my Nan had passed away that afternoon, and my response was "Are we still going to the quiz tonight then?", it wasn't till the actual Funeral that I shod a tear or 3 for her.

In general though, I try to be kind and thoughtful when I can.

I find it amusing that you said babies are necessity narcissistic. Very true. Being narcissistic also means the babies are not sorry about how this effects others and they don’t feel guilty about it.

No they are unable to understand their effect on others until a certain stage, it's an essential part of infant development. Hence, it's not 'mean' simply usual, babies at this stage do not understand the concept.

"The term narcissism, influenced by the Greek myth of Narcissus, refers to self-love. According to Freud (1914, p. 73–74), newborn babies are characterized by primary narcissism, that he defines as the “libidinal complement to the egoism of the instinct of self-preservation.” In other words, primary narcissism, which would predominate until the development of the Ego, corresponds to an innate instinctual behavior which is mainly driven by the desire and energy of the newborn to survive, and by a capability of satisfying these instincts on itself (“auto-erotism”). This early period of human's life has been described as “objectlessDoes Primary Narcissism Exist in Newborn Babies? Evidence from Sleep Science

Last edited:
Some people with ASD are mean and some are Nice
Just like some NTs are mean and some NTs are nice

Its not the condition that makes them mean some are just jerks and they are just a horrible person they cant use Autism as an excuse for being horrid (i come across a guy on another site he has aspergers) anyway moderators have told me that him being horrible is part of his aspergers so they let him treat others like a peice of trash...hmm no i dont agree with them using Aspergers diagnosis as an excuse for him

People think I'm mean too. I think the problem may be the same reason people say we don't have empathy. I may be wrong here, but this is my current hypothesis. The only way that neurotypicals know to express and/or interpret emotion is through body language and eye contact. If they don't see an emotion expressed the way they expect it, they assume it isn't there. Similarly, they interpret a lack of superficial expression as intentional meanness.

But my mom also claims that I was a "mean baby". So even before I had to learn to defend myself, I was "mean".

Oh for goodness sake, please try to see this for what it is. This is a single woman's opinion. An opinion which I strongly disagree with. There is no such thing as a mean baby, nor a mean toddler. Children are innocents and can be shaped by their surroundings. A baby is not cognitively developed enough to be mean or to consider consequences, a baby simply has needs.

I'm sorry that you've been told this from a young age and this started a cycle of defensiveness. You have believed this and it shows in your actions, others see this and so the cycle continues. I do hope that one day you can break this cycle.

But believe me when I say there is no such thing as a "mean baby" and you can be whoever you choose to be, not who people have been telling you to be.

Autistics can be mean or kind or neither in our interactions with others, just like anybody else.

We are probably more likely to hurt people's feelings or offend them by accident, because the communication and cognitive differences can make it harder for us to see how our words or actions might affect others. But I would not say that is the same as being a mean person, especially if a person tries their best to be considerate of others and to learn from their mistakes.

. I asked my mom what she thought about the theory and she said no, "Because he isn't mean. Autistics are mean, like you." [...] But my mom also claims that I was a "mean baby"

I think your mom has some issues that are massively distorting her perception of you, and possibly of everyone else in the world.

The thing is that there is a fine line between 'mean', 'assertive', and 'aggressive'. People in general can be very mean. People say: "I am the way I am [mean] because the world is mean to me" and I understand where they're coming from , but I don't agree that it's a valid reason. The way I see it - if someone is being mean and you be mean back, then you lower yourself down to their level. You become no better than they are. You can't always control who treats you poorly, but can control how you handle and react to poor treatment. Part of that is brushing off what they say and responding with good grace. There's a saying: 'fight fire with fire.' But can you really extinguish a fire with more fire and more gasoline (namely, reciprocating meanness)? No. Same concept. You can't make a person want to stop being mean if you be mean in return.

Sometimes people are mean because they want retaliation, or they want to be entertained by the anger of the person they are being mean to. It's a power statement. In which case, one approach could be to act like it doesn't bother you. A bothersome person who seeks to bother won't bother with a person who can't be bothered. It's not worth their time or effort. That's not to say that power is the motive of every person.

At the same time, being a pushover and never standing up for oneself - that's no good either. So if you can find that happy-medium where you are respectful while being exceptionally clear that you don't want to be bothered or bullied or verbally attacked, etc., then people will be more likely to respect you. If you can sit down with whoever is being mean, and discuss the situation in a calm and civil manner, maybe you can talk the whole thing out and come to an understanding. Meanness often comes from a place of anger. So if you can ask them - and yourself - logical questions regarding the reason for meanness, then theoretically the meanness should come to a halt and the discussion should stay less heated.

It can be really confusing why people are mean for no reason. And it's hard to go home at the end of the day not feeling down when someone has said some really harsh things. It's too easy to see things as black and white: either 'I'm feeling down' or 'so-and-so needs to get a taste of their own medicine'. But in truth, it doesn't have to be like that. If you hold onto resentment and/or believe the nasty things people say, you're only going to be hurting yourself and weighing yourself down. Easier said than done. It's really hard.

The first step to do when someone is being mean: 1) stop. Control your emotions. Is there a reason they are being mean? If there is, how can you help remove the cause of the issue? The way I see it - any problem can be solved. If they don't understand your autism, or if they don't even know you have it, then perhaps you can relay facts to them about it. If they don't listen, at least you did the best you could, and the blame cannot go to you.

@Pondering , I will often step out of the way of a malicious person (some would say passive-aggressively) and let them "hang themselves." That doesn't require malice on my part and the consequences are more proportionate to the offense, if there is one.

I have said horrible things when i was younger, but i didnt think they were horribe, so others can think i am mean and horrible. I lost friends because of that.

I even convinced myself that i had an evil nature , i am not diagnosted yet, but if I learn who i truly am , maybe I will feel better.

Your mother's generalizing there, and I'll just go on and say that she might be dealing (or not dealing) with problems of her own with a statement like that. Whatever the case, she's wrong, so don't take her seriously.

That's not an innate trait of ASD and I don't know how the two can possibly be linked together. It's something on the side that gradually develops over years and years, plenty of reasons behind it. I get the idea behind having to be a bit aggressive so as not to be stepped on anymore...been there, done that...but I try to strike a balance between that and being somewhat personable.

I used to read forums here and there where the kid from The Never Ending Story had Asperger's. I asked my mom what she thought about the theory and she said no, "Because he isn't mean. Autistics are mean, like you."
:eek: How - can - a- mom - say-that - to- her - own - kid !

Kids learn from the behaviors of their parents.
Kids believe their parents are always right: so she said you were mean, it had to be right.

Your mom was obviously mean to you, ergo, you were mean to people (the person who should have treated you the best in the universe, was mean to you, what could you expect from the rest of humanity) .

If someone had said, instead of “autistic” any other group of people, it would have been considered politically incorrect, to say the least. What your mom said to you, is not even politically incorrect, it’s MEAN.

That’s falling into stereotypes and prejudice.

Kids believe their parents are always right: so she said you were mean, it had to be right.

This is so true and this is one of the things that get people into trouble. Part of growing up and becoming an adult is to reevaluate what your parents told you in a critical light and discard the false messages you got from them.

Last edited:
I've been accused of being mean my entire life, but most people confuse mean with brutally honest. Even though I've learned a lot of tricks to fake my way in an NT world, these are the issues I have the most trouble with. I can't tell when to tell the truth and when to "soften" it to save feelings (aka lie to make the person feel better). It's that whole lack of empathy thing. NT's seem to need a LOT of validation and, even at my age, I'm still not good with giving the right level of it.

Mean to me means saying things that aren't true to hurt people on purpose. I don't think I do that. I'm not sure how in the world a baby can do that either. Sounds to me like your mother was the one being mean by saying you were mean...she was trying to hurt you. Question is, why?

New Threads

Top Bottom