• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are all Aspies Eeyores?

Aspieistj

Assuming everyone recalls Eeyore from "Winnie the Pooh", (a terribly negative, morose character), are we all Eeyores? I certainly am even though I do try to keep my feelings in check. I am always certain the world is about to end, and I am not sure that bothers me.

I am sometimes - more often recently, actually, since I've moved to the horrible place I live in now and we keep having hassles for no good reason. But if I'm comfortable and able to actually do things without interference from people, I'm more like Pooh.

Not me. I tend to have a pretty positive attitude. One of my obsessions is politics which can make me negative if I listen to too much of it so I balance it with my other obsession which is Christianity which gives me hope and an uplifted spirit.

I don't identify with him one bit,I am much too positive for that.

House at Pooh Corner, by Kenny Loggins & Jim Messina

I thought this was appropriate :)

I suppose I tend to fall more into that "eeyore" category, just with added cynicism, gloom, doom and an overal cheerfulness that everything is going to perish eventually.

According to my friends I tend to be that kind of person that can bring my own brand of humor to anything and everything dark and depressing without being that overly gloomy and stereotypical slow, dreadful type. I tend to bring doom and gloom with a cheer, lol.

My friend on the other hand, who is on the spectrum, suffers from chronic depression and he tends to be a lot more doom and gloom all the time, as is my other friend, who, while he doesn't have that gravedigger attitude and overall, tends to be a bit more positive, worries a bit more; and he's on the spectrum as well.. so... from my experience, in general, yeah, I suppose there's a lot going on with that kind of "type" and being on the spectrum; but the way we all carry it seems to be a different deal entirely. Cheerful vs. outright depressed vs. worrying/ruminating

Perhaps I am most similar to Eeyore although I am fairly happy. He was my favorite character, and I even had an almost-obsession with him. I've felt that he wasn't genuinely unhappy, a bit of a complainer, but not too unhappy, and even his complaints served as a way to socially distance himself from the other characters and find that solitude that he enjoyed. He was simply solitary, unique, and not understood by the other characters even when they loved him.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am most similar to Eeyore although I am fairly happy. He was my favorite character, and I even had an almost-obsession with him. I've felt that he wasn't genuinely unhappy, a bit of a complainer, but not too unhappy, and even his complaints served as a way to socially distance himself from the other characters and find that solitude that he enjoyed. He was simply solitary, unique, and not understood by the other characters even when they loved him.
Oh! You mean he is an Aspie??????

I think I am a cross between Eeyore and Piglet. Eeyore's ho-hum and Piglet's anxiety.

When I was a kid I loved Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore was my favorite character. I even had an Eeyore stuffed animal. You'd think that would have tipped off my parents to my mental state :wink:

Well I think that I am like Rabbit, grumpy. I can not help it, I am old. Rabbit is grumpy isn't he? I haven't seen Winnie the Pooh since the kids were little.

Well I think that I am like Rabbit, grumpy. I can not help it, I am old. Rabbit is grumpy isn't he? I haven't seen Winnie the Pooh since the kids were little.
I found the books to be more interesting than the TV show, or whatever it was. But you know? He(she? I could never figure out Rabbit's gender) was kind of grumpy.
The difference between Rabbit and Eeyore was that Rabbit interacted more with others, and the grumpiness was aimed more directly at other characters, and meant to have an effect. (Rabbit wasn't trying to be mean, but was rather trying to keep order). Eeyore simply turned inward and the melancholy was something with no practical aim; the other characters were mere observers of such grumpiness.

Definitely not, I'm quite the opposite. Sure I have my moods, everyone does but, my morose moods are few, far between and, short lived. I've got too much going on and, going for me to waste my time dwelling on the few downers in my life. Bad things happen, I make mistakes, embarrass myself, etc... then I get over it and move on with living and, enjoying the good things in my life.

Hehehe, I can't tell you how many times my family has called me Eeyore over the years. But I wonder about that. Eeyore did portray sadness and gloom very well and I have been seen in likeness with him for that. However I wonder why the same couldn't be said for the rest of the characters.

When you think of each character, it's more like each one of them represents a facet of aspergers as a syndrome. The main character is Poo and he is best seen as the soft headed, simple minded cuddly bear. This seems like the essence of innocence behind autism. Almost as a symbol of a young child just coming into that first phase of being a little different. His best friend is Piglet who was always saying "that's such a biiiig job for such a smaaaal pig like me." As if that young child first realizes how big the world is around them. And yes, he represents fear and anxiety which does come first after the innocence of birth. Then there was rabbit. What a shining example of the "creature of habit" and "stickler for rules" that is often attributed to aspies. He often shows how we aspies care more about the letter of the law than the organic nature of the people around us. Tigger was introduced later, almost symbolic of how many of us are late bloomers. He also represents a streak of rebellion in favor of innocence. If some of you remember, he lost his stripes when he was forced to take a bath and then no one recognized him. Almost symbolic of how people can force us to do what goes against who we are and it causes us to feel like we were stripped of our identity. Then there was owl, perfect to symbolize how aspies can go on and on and on about a subject that only they care about and not pick up on the fact that no one is interested. He is seen as the knowledgeable one and is like how we prattle on after we have attained knowledge about a subject.

You know, as I think about it... Are we sure that Christopher Robin wasn't actually on the spectrum and the animals weren't projections of his syndrome? He would visit only rarely as if one would try to figure themselves out. What if this Forrest was actually Christopher's mind trying to use visuals and hypothetical scenarios to figure out the world around him and identify with the facets of his complex personality?

New Threads

Top Bottom